Question About Thor's Hammer---contains spoiler

voyzovrezon

nobody's fool
Reaction score
If this question has already been posted, I apologize and it can be moved.

For those that have already seen the film...in the part where Thor hangs up his hammer in Selvig's apartment, wouldn't it be too heavy when not carried by Thor? Wouldn't it have gone through the floor or destroyed the wall?

I'm not familiar with the entire backstory of the hammer. Thanks!

I am not sure if in the MCU Mjolnir actually weighs a lot. We know for a fact however that only those worthy enough to wield it can pick it up. So since the coat rack is not a living creature, I believe it would be able to hold up Mjolnir. Either that or it is a really sturdy coat rack.

Either way, it wasn't originally scripted. While they were filming Chris Hemsworth walked through the door and saw the coat rack, and then thought it would be funny for Thor to put Mjolnir on the coat rack, and so he did.

I am not sure if in the MCU Mjolnir actually weighs a lot. We know for a fact however that only those worthy enough to wield it can pick it up. So since the coat rack is not a living creature, I believe it would be able to hold up Mjolnir. Either that or it is a really sturdy coat rack.

Either way, it wasn't originally scripted. While they were filming Chris Hemsworth walked through the door and saw the coat rack, and then thought it would be funny for Thor to put Mjolnir on the coat rack, and so he did.

Thanks for the response. I didn't know that was not scripted. And yeah, maybe the coat rack was worthy. :cwink:

The enchantment only applies to living beings. That's how one of Galactis' Heralds was able to pick the hammer up. Cuz he was a robot. I mean, he couldn't channel any of the power like any living being could if they were found worthy, but if he wanted to hang some dry wall, he totally could. :o

I'm just wondering then if it's max weight is about 50kg (120 pounds) which would be about as much as that hook could take statically, it wouldn't hurt enchanted beings too much even at velocity, unless it has some other property I can't think of.

Though more controversial for me is how Kurse was able to deflect, meaning that he in some form controlled it. Does that mean he was stronger than the enchantment, i.e. maleketh's magic overrider the odinforce?

Mjolnir doesn't hurt because its vastly heavy. It hurts because its an indestructible magic weapon wielded by a super strong god. It also isn't immobile because its heavy; its immobile because it refuses to let someone unworthy move it. Presumably through exerting the same force that allows it to propel itself at vast speeds, at staying stationary.

I'm just wondering then if it's max weight is about 50kg (120 pounds) which would be about as much as that hook could take statically, it wouldn't hurt enchanted beings too much even at velocity, unless it has some other property I can't think of.

Though more controversial for me is how Kurse was able to deflect, meaning that he in some form controlled it. Does that mean he was stronger than the enchantment, i.e. maleketh's magic overrider the odinforce?
Well it would hurt you and me if it hit.

When THROWN as covered a few times with Hulk, Mjolnir being IN the air after being tossed CAN have it's trajectory changed if you are powerful enough.
What nobody CAN do is, prevent Mjolnir from going back to Thor's hand after he summons it back.
Thor uses THAT move a few times. He'll throw and miss on purpose, Mjolnir will HIT who ever on the way back to Thor's hand. :D

When you get down to it, it's a magic f**kin' Hammer. It's as simple and as infuriatingly complicated as that.

If this question has already been posted, I apologize and it can be moved.

For those that have already seen the film...in the part where Thor hangs up his hammer in Selvig's apartment, wouldn't it be too heavy when not carried by Thor? Wouldn't it have gone through the floor or destroyed the wall?

I'm not familiar with the entire backstory of the hammer. Thanks!

It's not the weight that stops people from moving it...it's the enchantment. It's magical and powerful in Thor's hands

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"