Question for Friday the 13th fans

Peyton Westlake

the Dark Avenger
Reaction score
The question I always wrestle with about Jason is...if I could write my own Friday the 13th and reimagine it...would I explain his supernatural ability?
Theres no question I would use it for him.
When I think of the slasher/killer genre he is at the forefront of my mind.
He is a horror beast that cant be kept down.
BUT.... Would I explain where he got it? or when? or how?
Or would i just write him like that with no explanation?

What do YOU think?

No, because he isn't supernatural (at least not until Part 6). Maybe explain why he's abnormally strong and hard to kill.

Like maybe the birth defect that caused his physical deformity also gave him an abnormally thick skull, an overactive adrenal gland, and an inability to feel pain, giving him superhuman strength, and capable of shrugging off what should be crippling injuries.

If you can find a way of not making his story a convoluted mess, go ahead.

Myostatin-Related Muscle Hypertrophy = Abnormal muscle growth giving the person extraordinary physical strength (very rare in humans but not unheard of).

Congenial Insensitivity to Pain (CIP) = A person with this condition cannot, and never has, felt physical pain.

Sclerosteosis = Extaordinarily dense bones that are almost impossible to break.

If Jason was born with all three of these conditions (highly unlikely in real life, but this is a Slasher film) then he would be able to most all of the things he did in the movies without having to resort to "supernatural" explanations.

Yes definitely explain it or give some hint at least. Its one flaw of the early F13 movies that they never hinted why he could walk off death so easily.

No, because he isn't supernatural (at least not until Part 6). Maybe explain why he's abnormally strong and hard to kill.

Like maybe the birth defect that caused his physical deformity also gave him an abnormally thick skull, an overactive adrenal gland, and an inability to feel pain, giving him superhuman strength, and capable of shrugging off what should be crippling injuries.

Well I think he is supernatural no doubt about it.
But you are also right in the timing of it, which didnt come until later in the franchise.
I think in parts one thru four , he may have been just a lumbering bumpkin who had enormous strength.
But clearly after that, I never included part 5 since it isnt him, from 6 on he clearly became some type of Zombie king.
Not sure if this was the plan or the writer(s) just thought of it on the spur of the moment.

Myostatin-Related Muscle Hypertrophy = Abnormal muscle growth giving the person extraordinary physical strength (very rare in humans but not unheard of).

Congenial Insensitivity to Pain (CIP) = A person with this condition cannot, and never has, felt physical pain.

If Jason was born with all three of these conditions (highly unlikely in real life, but this is a Slasher film) then he would be able to most all of the things he did in the movies without having to resort to "supernatural" explanations.

Those are all ideas I would use if I attempted to ground him in reality and rather good ones.
But saying he possesses all 3 of those makes it highly unlikely 1 human could be granted those rare traits.
Its too unbelievable.
If I was going to make it that unbelievable ,I would opt to lean towards the supernatural.

Those are all ideas I would use if I attempted to ground him in reality and rather good ones.
But saying he possesses all 3 of those makes it highly unlikely 1 human could be granted those rare traits.
Its too unbelievable.
If I was going to make it that unbelievable ,I would opt to lean towards the supernatural.

I prefer Jason to be grounded in reality. Most supernatural horror films I don't find remotely scary because I can't suspend my disbelief that Pzuzu has posessed a little girl and is making her projectile vomit green pea soup. Some supernatural horror movies I do find frightening, because I do believe in ghosts, so Poltergeist and other haunted house movies are frightening to me. And A Nightmare On Elm Street is based on an actual case of Sudden Unexplained Nocturnal Death Syndrome (or SUNDS, now called Sleep Paralysis). So that combined with how s**t your pants scary Freddy is makes that a particularly frightening movie. Aside from that, any movie about demons, devils, zombies, vampires, werewolves, etc just don't do it for me. They might be very well done movies, like The Exorcist, and I can appreciate them on that level, but they're not scary.

Movies about psychotic killers though? Even if they're unbelievably superhuman in their ability to take a beating and keep on coming, or display feats of superhuman strength, the fact that there truly are psychotic killers in the world today makes characters like Jason, Michael Myers, and Leatherface that much scarier.

As for how Jason could have all three genetic mutations? What if Elias Voorhees had Myostatin-Related Muscle Hypertrophy, and Pamela Voorhees had CIP? Somehow their combined DNA produces Jason, who not only shares their mutations but also develops Sclerosteosis. It would explain why he is capable of such feats as squeezing Rick's head until it pops like a zit, or survive being hanged and taking an ax to the head.

Maybe Jason just has MRMH & Sclerosteosis, and his ability to endure pain is just because he's just plain badass.

I agree with most of this but I think Jason can feel pain. You can hear him grunting and groaning when Chris stabs him with the knife. I also heard him grunt once or twice in "The Final Chapter". Jason just happens to have a high pain tolerance.

I prefer Jason to be grounded in reality. Most supernatural horror films I don't find remotely scary because I can't suspend my disbelief that Pzuzu has posessed a little girl and is making her projectile vomit green pea soup. Some supernatural horror movies I do find frightening, because I do believe in ghosts, so Poltergeist and other haunted house movies are frightening to me. And A Nightmare On Elm Street is based on an actual case of Sudden Unexplained Nocturnal Death Syndrome (or SUNDS, now called Sleep Paralysis). So that combined with how s**t your pants scary Freddy is makes that a particularly frightening movie. Aside from that, any movie about demons, devils, zombies, vampires, werewolves, etc just don't do it for me. They might be very well done movies, like The Exorcist, and I can appreciate them on that level, but they're not scary.

Movies about psychotic killers though? Even if they're unbelievably superhuman in their ability to take a beating and keep on coming, or display feats of superhuman strength, the fact that there truly are psychotic killers in the world today makes characters like Jason, Michael Myers, and Leatherface that much scarier.

As for how Jason could have all three genetic mutations? What if Elias Voorhees had Myostatin-Related Muscle Hypertrophy, and Pamela Voorhees had CIP? Somehow their combined DNA produces Jason, who not only shares their mutations but also develops Sclerosteosis. It would explain why he is capable of such feats as squeezing Rick's head until it pops like a zit, or survive being hanged and taking an ax to the head.

Maybe Jason just has MRMH & Sclerosteosis, and his ability to endure pain is just because he's just plain badass.

After reading your explanation of how Jason could develop those conditions, I got to thinking.
I would then offer you a co-writing credit with your ideas which goes like this :

Elias & Pamela regularly check into a hospital or a specialty clinic for their conditions.
A doctor monitors their condition to study them and see if their condition is growing to a harmful state and/or if their cells could be used to help others who have degenerative diseases.
It is because they both go to the same clinic ,they met and fell and love which produced Jason.

That could be the set up.

I'd say yes if you can do it without doing something that's overly ridiculous or borderline stupid. Though I wouldn't say it's necessary to do so. As we've seen in plenty of good horror films, a little mystique can go a long way.

The mystique ,I agree, can go a long way. I would lean towards just making Jason the invincible hulk he is known as. But is that enough for audiences to run with?

It can be if it's handled right...I think there needs to be a middle ground that settles more along the lines of what we saw in parts three and four. Have him be a seemingly invincible hulk but don't go as overboard with it as the later sequels where he's taking impossible amounts of damage. It's kind of less scary if I'm seeing him punch heads off.

Personally, I wouldn't even go back to the old lightning explanation. Just let him be supernatural and keep coming back. Anything to avoid another JGTH scenario.

It could work either way. But if you explain it, it better be damn good and not a half baked idea. I think the unexplained supernatural aura is easier to work in to the plot for the writer.

He's a movie monster and I don't need any explanation.

Correct answer!

Things didn't get really out of hand until after Friday the 13th Part II. It should have ended with F13-3D, but I admit I liked the body-hop angle of Jason Goes to Hell.

And THAT movie is where it should have ended. The 2009 remake was inconceivably bad.

It looks like most are leaning towards no explanation, which can come off as a good thing if done right.
Maybe Jason should just be like a Great White shark. Its just instinctual in him to be a mindless killing machine, whos passion to kill keeps him going until the job is done.

He wasn't supernatural until Part 6. Before that, he was just an usually tough and durable man, but just a man. People have survived extreme crap in the real world. So there's precedent for it, it's just exaggerated for cinematic effect of course. Some machete blows to the head killed him stone dead at the end of Part 4.

Although having read the Nick Antosca rejected script, the explanation (well maybe it's more accurate to call it an implication) there could have been kind of interesting, depending on how it was executed.

He was supernatural from day one.

Even though it was never stated in the movie canon, I always thought that when he was "Frankenstein-ed" back to life in VI, not only did it awaken his cold, dead corpse from the grave, but transferred something "supernatural" to him as well. Enhancing his already above average strength.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"