R-rated movies: Is anyone actually against them?

ShadowBoxing said:
Jesus Christ man it was a friggin joke, lighten up you are a mod and you certainly don't have the right to boss people around in a thread.
He's not a mod.

8Ball2/JanG5 said:
Maybe I didn't understand, if he was mocking something kainedamo would say I understand. If he's making that as a general statement, no that doesn't work.
no, he was making a joke

It really doesnt matter. Some movies should be R if that's what they are going for and others shouldn't. Most of what goes on in life is rated R, it's dumb to stay away from a movie just cause it has an R rating.

See what I mean now Shadow??

lol

Its safer in the Cykes thread...:p

kainedamo said:
8Ball2/JanG5, you make a good point about art galleries and museums. But films are a little different. I'm not saying that films aren't art. I'm just saying that films have the potential to scare the complete crap out of a child.

Well for one Calvin is right, there can be some very frightening stuff in art galleries. For two, what is inherently wrong with a child getting scared? That's part of being a child, you get frightened by things. Many childrens stories are horror stories designed to frighten them.

And as long as ShadowBoxing thinks i'm a mod, he's cool with me.

Should we never tell a child that a hot stove will burn his hand because the thought of that might frighten him?

I agree that being frightened is a part of growing up. I think it's fairly necassery and it can be a good memory when you're older. My main issue is that it's an annoyance to the adults in the theatre to have children present.

A R-rated movie 10 years ago is a PG-13 movie now.PG-13 films have curse words (yeah the f-word), lots of sex, and some even have graphic violence

The MPAA are just a whole bunch of old geezers that cant even tell the difference between bad and banana :o

SpiderHulkThing said:
It really doesnt matter. Some movies should be R if that's what they are going for and others shouldn't. Most of what goes on in life is rated R, it's dumb to stay away from a movie just cause it has an R rating.

I'd be careful though. Many make this analogy. What goes on in life isn't rated "R". It's not rated anything. These ratings don't reflect life that well. Even movies are very stylistic representations of life. Suffice to say, children are exposed every day to enough language and adult themes to make any movie rated "R". Probably a lot more than a movie.

One of my first memories is linked to watching Die Hard, and that I thank for my greatness.

kainedamo said:
I agree that being frightened is a part of growing up. I think it's fairly necassery and it can be a good memory when you're older. My main issue is that it's an annoyance to the adults in the theatre to have children present.
That was EASILY not your "main" issue, both in this thread, and especially in the last one.

kainedamo said:
8Ball2/JanG5, you make a good point about art galleries and museums. But films are a little different. I'm not saying that films aren't art. I'm just saying that films have the potential to scare the complete crap out of a child.

And that's wrong because...:confused:

I still think that some kids can't handle it. Especially younger kids.

Calvin said:
That was EASILY not your "main" issue, both in this thread, and especially in the last one.

shhh! We convinced him on a few things, that's why. Don't blow it!

kainedamo said:

The problem isn't that they're children, the problem is the inidividuals' attitudes. There are plenty of adults that act just as if not more disruptive in theaters.

Sentinel_08 said:
A R-rated movie 10 years ago is a PG-13 movie now.PG-13 films have curse words (yeah the f-word), lots of sex, and some even have graphic violence

The MPAA are just a whole bunch of old geezers that cant even tell the difference between bad and banana :o
PG13 movies are allowed 1 F-word. Usually violent PG13s do not have any F-words.

Sixteen Candles was PG and had an F-word.

kainedamo said:
I still think that some kids can't handle it. Especially younger kids.
No S**T Copernicus! That was the entire point we were making in that last thread, which you completely were not understanding. "SOME" kids can't, some can't. It's dependant on the kid, and on the situation. Which is EXACTLY why the ratings are geared towards letting in kids whose parents think can handle it, while not admitting just any kid walking in on his own. How you've come to this conclusion now but not before, despite the fast that we said the EXACT same thing throughout the entire last thread, which was many pages, is beyond me.

Kainedamo said:
I'm just saying that films have the potential to scare the complete crap out of a child.

WHAT FREAKING HARM DOES THAT DO?!?!?

I've asked that every single time this topic comes up and never received an answer.
What is so bad about a kid being scared by art?!?!?

As I said last time, I had an irrational but mind-melting sheer terror of this little chinese fishing man miniature at my Aunt's house when I was little. Should we rate figurines now?

God, I was terrified of the flying monkeys in the Wizard of Oz. My friend's son loved the Lord of the Rings movies, but insanely, was terrified of some animal in Disney's Tarzan cartoon.

What are the horrible long-lasting effects of seeing a scary movie when you're a little kid? Please tell me. Do you grow up to be a necrophiliac cannibal-rapist?

Well, no, you don't, 'cause I saw a million terrifying things when I was little.
A black+White book of freaks with The Elephant Man and the mule-faced lady. Terrified me. Also, couldn't stop trying to read it.

GAWD!

Ronny Shade said:
PG13 movies are allowed 1 F-word. Usually violent PG13s do not have any F-words.

16 candles also had a titty shower scene.

Wilhelm-Scream said:
WHAT FREAKING HARM DOES THAT DO?!?!?
I've asked that every single time this topic comes up and never received an answer.
What is so bad about a kid being scared by art?!?!?

Heh, i'm going to pretend to be one of those people who see the world as being made up by rights and wrongs.

*Oh dear, suppose this means art is right and the kids are wrong? That a child can only cry in the face of art?*

Calvin, your attitude is not called for. Do not talk down to me. All I'm doing is stating my opinion.

I'm not saying that kids can't look at art. I'm not saying that kid's can't watch some films. I'm just saying they're an annoyance to others in the theatre. I also proved in the previous thread that kids emulate what they see on the big screen. A young kid's idea of reality and fantasy is a little skewed. I heard about this kid that was so terrified of the Halloween movie, that he was convinced that Michael Myers was after him. He was too afraid to leave his room and just sat in the corner of his room crying. His mother eventually found him sobbing in the corner of his room.

Some horror for a kid is good. Sometimes they can't handle it. Sometimes it's a good memory for the kid later on in their life. I do think though, in some cases they probably wished they were a little older before watching certain films.

Ronny Shade said:

I think there is a limit though...I thought maybe it was 3 times at most or something

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"