R-rated sequel?

project13

Civilian
Reaction score
It's no surprise that there's a huge possibility for a sequel in spite of critics "bashing" the movie. One way to make it more interesting than the first film is to give it a R-rating. I'm not say it would make it darker but it would a little more sexy and violent. I don't mind some blood being spilled. The tone would be similar and it would be a "soft R" flick.

What do you think?

NOTE: I post this thread here and not in "Suicide Squad Sequels" just because it would have more steam.

Last edited:
Sigh. Can we keep comics stuff accessible to the people that they were originally invented for?

I think it will be. The cast have all pretty much said they wish it was R-rated. Didn't Ayer in a recent set visit article say maybe for a sequel?

I mean Harley debuted and became really popular based of a cartoon marketed towards kids

Considering some of the original dialogue was replaced less vulgar words, i think so.

Ehhh, I really don't care either way. But I agree with m1ll3r to a degree.

Mainly what I want in A sequel is for WB to have a good script and not jumble it to pieces. I'd really like to see the version Ayer had in mind at first. ( I still love SS, for all it's flaws, btw.)

First off though let's wait till the BoxOffice receipts are in.

Secondly I wonder what tone they'll aim for next time. I think the trailer we saw at comic con seemed like the kind of Suicide Squad that could be rated R. But the Queen and Blitz trailer (plus the latter marketing) looked more in line with a PG-13.

We saw a big transition in marketing from this

Suicide-Squad-Title.jpg

To this

suicidesquad-cereal-poster-frontpage.jpg

And it's important to note that as good as the comic con trailer was recieved. The movie eventually got sold by the Queen, and blitz trailers which got really good reception as well.

Last edited:
What I want to know is what sitting on the fence has to do with this poll?

:o

I don't think thats necessary and I don't think they should do that. A lot of kids are into this movie and it would be the wrong move to alienate them. Plus, I just don't think the movie needs to go that DARK. I think this movie had the right tone, they just need to touch up the pacing.

Sigh. Can we keep comics stuff accessible to the people that they were originally invented for?

Times have changed, man. Ever since the 80s we've grown up with some really hard core takes on these characters. Suicide Squad is about a group of villains. It was a comic series created when comics made the transition from children fare to something that was taken a lot more seriously. Hell, Green Arrow's 'Snowbirds Don't Fly' would be Rated R if adapted as would many of the greatest stories from comics - Killing Joke was R and hardly anything was in it. I read that book when I was 11. The MPAA is screwed up.

Parents with older teenagers would take them - do take them. I saw my first rated R film 'Air Force One' when I was 9 years old and my Dad for a couple years was strict about what I could and couldn't watch. Let's face facts here, how many guys haven't seen 'Die Hard' by the time they're at least 13? Most have. Betting a lot of parents are the same. Once you're 13 most rated R films are fair game as long as it wasn't 'American Pie' and etc. And before that - you could see many, just not as much. So "the audience they were intended for" can see them, just very little kids (under 9 years old) wouldn't see all of them but they can see others. Just like with comics.

Saying no R or "comics are meant for kids" is so very 1930s. Comics, as kids have been raised to view, read, and take them in have come leaps and bounds. Kids are reading comics that would be Rated R by the MPAA today. Modern kids, not 1930s kids.

Let movies be rated based on what the subject material is. Suicide Squad makes sense as being rated R. Batman should be PG-13, but hell - push the boundaries, give us 'Arkham: A Serious House on A Serious Earth' or close to it. Modern kids - read that. But Suicide Squad is an obvious R. Hell, there's even an interview with the cast of the film where they're all behind this.

Last edited:
If The Dark Knight can be PG-13, then this movie can be PG-13. We don't need blood, gratuitous violence and F-bombs to make a good Suicide Squad film. We need a good story.

If the story demands an R-rating, then sure I hope we do get that rating. But reading the comics and even some of the things in the original SS script, everything seems manageable in a PG-13 film. (Minus Slipknot being a serial rapist. That can be cut)

We don't need blood, gratuitous violence and F-bombs to make a good Suicide Squad film.

I'd say Nolan fought for that movie to be PG-13 and it barely, barely made it. All of those things you listed doesn't constitute every R rated film. Where is blood, F-bombs, or boobage in 'The Killing Joke'? As said, 'Snowbirds Don't Fly' (exactly as is, nothing at all added) would quite hilariously be Rated R with the MPAA... how do we know this? 'Stand By Me' (a movie about a group of kids being kids) and 'Boyhood' are rated R, while films like 'Coyote Ugly' can get PG-13 - the MPAA once you get down to it doesn't make a lot of sense.

For further Rated R "oh nos" my Dad took me and a ton of my friends to see 'Blade' when I was 10 years old and I'm guessing, many fathers across the world took their underage kids to see a Rated R comic film as well. Where I grew up it wasn't a rare thing for a guy to have seen 'Blade,' it was - what kid hasn't? Luckily we got 'Deadpool' and look at how many fathers refused to take their underage kids to see that movie.

Basically, I know you're not but - those saying comic books are for kids don't sound like they grew up in the post 80s comic world where all of those "edgy" comics that would get an R rating were readily accessible to borrow or buy for every single kid at their local library or book store. Basically, the MPAA is saying a 13 year old can read 'The Killing Joke' and a 9 year old can read 'Snowbirds Don't Fly' - but they're restricted from seeing that exact comic replicated in film form.

Last edited:
It's not necessary. Would I complain? No, but it's not something that absolutely needs to happen.

it depends. the real harley and joker would need to R-rated, without them the squad could pass as PG-13.

it depends. the real harley and joker would need to R-rated, without them the squad could pass as PG-13.

Betting part of the reason Joker hitting Harley around got cut was because it was deemed too 'inappropriate for children' - ironic since us 90s kids got to see that on a weekly, sometimes daily basis in a children's cartoon.

As said, if I was a kid I'd be pissed because it is being talked down to. "Yes Johnny, you can read 'The Killing Joke' - but you can't watch the film where it's replicated line for line and beat for beat in it's second half to the exacts." Even though I'm in my 20s, I know how my 9 year old self would see that.

Essentially, showing the same thing you showed kids in the 90s repeatedly - is too inappropriate for kids of today. Those saying "but it's for kids!" aren't seeing the sheer irony in that statement, since part of what would get this film rated R originated from a cartoon designed for kids. And trust me, kids aren't dumb - they know exactly what's going on.

And a lot of this has to do with insane adults and senior citizens. At a screening for 'A Secret Life Of Pets,' I'm not kidding around - an elderly woman asked me what I thought of it and it's appropriateness for kids because according to her, it was way too violent and adult for kids to see. Um... what?! Go back and watch Disney movies such as Fantasia and Bambi and tell me those movies weren't dark - they make 'The Secret Life of Pets' look like what comes before a G rating.

Last edited:
Apparently that is how rating works in America and that is the key market. They wouldn't care in Europe.

Depends on what they are trying to do... make a good film or market a film.

Find a voice and identity for these films are stick with it. DCEU is all over the place trying to find itself.

What I want to know is what sitting on the fence has to do with this poll?

:o

I meant "on the fence" as a figure of speech. It's an idiom that means a person can not decide between two options.

I meant "on the fence" as a figure of speech. It's an idiom that means a person can not decide between two options.

I know mate, I wasn't being serious. :cwink:

Anyway, I always wanted SS to be R-rated, so the same would go for the hypothetical sequel.

I think Joker will likely show up in a movie before Suicide Squad 2. Maybe the Batman movie, that'd be cool. This is one sequel that's screaming for a rated R cut though. In a world where fathers and their 10 year old sons love watching 'Die Hard' together, I can think of no reason why Suicide Squad can't go further and be R. I'm not talking nudity, I don't think that's needed. I have no idea why it can't be a classic introductory R film though... hell WOLVERINE and Professor Xavier are even going R soon! If that movie comes out and does well, R is guaranteed. Hell, 'Constantine' was rated R. A lot probably think it was PG-13, but that was R: no constant f-bombs, no nudity, just intensity.

If it calls for it sure. Deadpool was a great rated R movie that didnt really take its ratings to far.

Cussing alone could get it rated R so not like it changes much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"