Rachel McAdams is ???

Discussion in 'Doctor Strange' started by Khonshu, May 18, 2016.

1. Khonshu Registered

Very excited to have her in this film IF...

she has strong material like her Ani Bezzerides character in True Detective.

I'm hoping that she is given a role more closely paralleling the Rosario Dawson nurse character in the Netflix Daredevil series instead of the Jane Foster character in the Thor MCU.

McAdams is too good an actor to have to play "female love interest".

#1 Khonshu, May 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  2. Tg11 Registered

I see her playing Benedict's love interest I mean all the signs are practically pointing to her being a love interest

3. Khonshu Registered

I think she'd be fine for it, but man... I hope not. She did a decent job with the Sherlock Holmes "Irene Adler" role, but I think that she has some great acting chops and do so much more than just "generic love interest".

4. Silvermoth Avenger

Do you think maybe she's trying to learn magic to stop Fetch from happening?

5. Henshin Registered

http://heroichollywood.com/mads-mikkelsens-character-revealed-doctor-strange/ Perhaps the thread title should be changed?

Marvel Minimates Series 70 Doctor Strange Movie 2-Pack Asst.

A Diamond Select Toys Release! The next chapter of the Marvel Cinematic Universe is now the next entry in the long-running Marvel Minimates line! Series 70 of Marvel Minimates mini-figures travels to the world of the Doctor Strange movie, with four different two-packs: Dr. Strange with The Ancient One, Mordo with Kaecilius, the specialty-exclusive Stephen Strange with Christine Palmer and the specialty-exclusive Wong & Zealot! Each 2-inch Minimates mini-figure features 14 points of articulation and fully interchangeable parts. Each two-pack is packaged in a full-color window box.

[​IMG]

6. Silvermoth Avenger

I thought Rachel was really boring in this. There's so many great roles she could have played. She deserved better than the love interest that steals a lot

7. MadVillainy C'mon Son

McAdams' career choices interest me.
    I forget if she passed on Fantastic Four or if she was just considered, but she did turn down Iron Man and TDK. Whether you think she was right for those roles or not, but then she signs up for a role like this where she is useless and expendable?

8. regnak Registered

Maybe if Nightmare is the villain in the sequel then we might learn that Dr. Palmer is not her real personality. And that she is a actually from another dimension and is Clea.

9. psylockolussus Spice Mutant

She probably liked how small her role is in this movie. But there is always room for improvement.

10. TheVileOne Registered

She gets to be in a big Marvel movie and she got paid. It's a pretty safe career move at this point.

Maybe turning down Iron Man and The Dark Knight is what convinced her not to turn down a role like this.

It was probably an easy stress free role, and she has more time to do the more character centric roles in her other time.

11. AlluAllu Registered

I loved how there was not romantic subplot about them getting back together. Only a kiss to the cheek. It made their relationship feel pretty adult.

She ended up having very little screen time, but she was in the movie when she was needed. I prefer that to creating extra scenes and sideplots just to give one actor more to do. Doctor Palmer was a small role and McAdams played it well.

12. TheVileOne Registered

Honestly, I think the MCU has gotten a little too sexless at times. I'm still kind of thrown by the decision to pair up Hulk and Black Widow.

13. Mike Murdock Registered

Is there a reason this post hasn't been edited to include the character's name? Was she that forgettable ;)

14. Abudefduf Registered

At times? It's getting so bad, that when Palmer mentioned something about her and Strange having sex, I couldn't believe my ears. :o

It's kind of funny though, because it's exactly the opposite of what happens in the comics, where every other run it seems that the hero has to get a new love interest.

15. MadVillainy C'mon Son

That's a weird thing to notice; but yeah when I thought about it since Iron Man in 08 or even TIH they really did tone down the number of "sexy" scenes like Stark and Leslie Bibb's character or Banner and Betsy in the motel. And they even toned down some of the innuendo, sexual references, etc. Guardians had a few sexual references, especially that Jackson Pollack one which was hilarious to me.
    Even the language I feel has kinda been toned down again, except for in GOTG.

The lack of these things don't make the movies worse, it's just interesting to notice now that it's been pointed out to me.

It seems that in trying to make the movies more accessible they toned down some of the things that us American's find more offensive than violence
    We seem to think: Sex and cursing are worse than violence. Of course these movies are for international audiences but they still are made by American companies. It reminds me on here, I'm not sure if the member was American or not but they were reviewing MoS and they said they loved everything except "the harsh language" Lois used in her intro (it was the word d***). A movie where there's mass destruction, necks getting snapped, people get stabbed, the too harsh thing is the word d***.

16. OutOfBoose #ReleaseTheAyerCut

She was one of the best things about the movie for me. Great chemistry with Cumberbatch.

17. Loki882 Registered

McAdams was fine. But her character was REALLY underused. And as a result, her dynamic with Strange falls a bit flat for me, despite her and Cumberbatch doing their best to try and sell it. She honestly felt wasted here to me.

Also their excuse for why she had to be a non-powered human LI becomes even less convincing having seen what (little) they did with her in the actual film.

Oh and BTW I agree with the comments above about the MCU, or at least the films (the TV shows are better in this regard) becoming a bit too "sexless" since, well TIH basically. And it's even more jarring since they keep throwing romantic subplots into their films anyway.

18. Joined:
    Jan 12, 2007
    Honestly I felt that they could have written her character out and developed more of dr strange and his training and show him developing his relationship with mordo

19. MadVillainy C'mon Son

Fully agree

20. mightiest_mortal Much Mightier than thou!

I disagree completely. I feel her character was the one anchor that Strange had to "reality", even before the accident. When she finally parted with him it allowed things to change and made him embrace his new life.

21. Speed Force goober

So, around the time Disney took over? Sounds about right...

22. Mjölnir Guest

I agree here, and at least judging from my viewing it worked very well since their scene at Strange's apartment got some of the most notable reactions from the crowd in the entire movie.

23. Bats123 Master Chief

It kinda bothers me that people refer to her as just the "love interest", when she did quite a lot more than just being a "love interest", hell she pretty much friendzoned Strange at the end. At least she didnt have to be saved constantly throught the movie.

24. MadVillainy C'mon Son

did she though?
    Love interest doesn't mean you do nothing else. But yeah I disagree she didn't really do much. The whole thing of Strange getting stabbed to go to the hospital couldve been easily written out and the movie still moves fine

25. Loki882 Registered

See I don't think that she "anchored him in reality" at all. That's a big thing for me, that excuse doesn't work once I saw the movie. And her whole role being "well gotta go Steven, so that you can be SS now," is incredibly lame. Even if I bought that as being necessary, which I don't BTW, what a waste of Rachel McAdam's talents.