Rainbow Six: Vegas (PS3) hands on

Electro UK

Can't all be for nothing
Reaction score
http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/794/794469p1.html

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas Hands-on
Ubisoft's tactical shooter is ready for deployment on the PS3 and we run it through a couple scenarios.
by Chris Roper

US, June 5, 2007 - It's been a long time coming, but [/B]Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas is finally locked and loaded for release on the PlayStation 3. We saw the PS3 version for the first time a few weeks back at Sony's Gamer's Day and now have a final copy in our hands. Yes indeed, Ubisoft's tactical shooter is finally ready to go and we've been able to play through the opening segments of the game to see how it stands up.

Obviously, Rainbow Six: Vegas on the PlayStation 3 is mostly identical to what we saw on the Xbox 360 late last year. The bulk of the game has remained the same, though Ubisoft has taken the extra development time to add in a handful of new content and features. Some of those things are related to the online play which we unfortunately can't talk about just yet (soon though), but there are a few new elements to the singleplayer and co-op modes.

One simple addition is that you're able to use the Sixaxis to manipulate the snake cam. After sliding it under a door, you can swivel the controller in order to rotate the camera's view. It's a small matter to be sure, but it does work well. If you're not a fan of using the Sixaxis controls, you can switch it off and use the right analog stick.

Another new addition is a revamping of the classic Presidio map as a Terrorist Hunt location. After selecting to play a co-op game, which is playable online, over LAN or split-screen (for two players), you're placed in an all-too-familiar location that's seen a few changes. The level seems mostly the same as the multiplayer map, though more boxes and stuff are scattered throughout the level for hiding and whatnot. You begin the level on the outside with the enemies apparently already knowing that you're coming for them, so if you just stroll up and open one of the suicide doors, well, you'll see why we gave them that name in the first place. If you've played the level in multiplayer before, you'll know that it's rather tight and compact, so when filled with a plethora of enemies you can imagine how hectic the battles are.

From a technical standpoint, Ubisoft looks to have the title running identical to what we saw on the Xbox 360. It looks to us like some of the bloom effects and other filters aren't quite as abundant as they were on Microsoft's console, for better or worse, which is oddly most noticeable when inside the helicopter and looking at your team before heading into a mission. Once in the heat of the battle though, it looks about as good as we ever remember seeing it.

One strange and disappointing issue that we came across however is that though the game supports 1080i, it's quite blurry when played at that resolution. Forcing the system to run at 720p clears this issue right up though and everything looks quite crisp. It seems like the game may just be scaling its 720 signal to the higher resolution to help those with displays that don't support 720p, except that the filtering is pretty poor. This is just a technical guess on our end, but whatever the reason, the game looks much better at 720p than 1080i. As a note, the videos and screens that accompany this article were all taken at 720p.

Control-wise, the game feels spot-on with the 360 version, aside from the standard differences in the controllers. In other words, the movement and look acceleration is exactly what we expected and it's as responsive as the Xbox title, if maybe a tad bit looser due to the PS3's analog sticks. Good stuff here.

As mentioned, there's more new stuff to the PlayStation 3 version of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas, though we unfortunately can't talk about it quite yet. But being as the game's release is a mere few weeks away, you'll know what those additions are shortly.

Awesome, PS3 exclusive content. FINALLY a game that at least matches up to the 360 version, if not more. Makes those delays worth it.

looks like it'll be an better port than a lot of the others have been for PS3.

Yep, but thinking about it, this is the first true multi-platform game, it was being developed for all 3 from scratch, unlike F.E.A.R. and Oblivion. That's good news, cause it means The Darkness, out on the same day, may well be just as good as the 360 version, meaning the PS3 may have finally caught up in that aspect and no more crappy ports'll be coming this way.

Man, June 29th is gonna be fuuuuuuuuuuun.

Less bloom = yay. :)

Glad to hear it's probably going to be just as good as the 360 version. After the dump-fest that was Splinter Cell DA, I had almost lost faith in Ubisoft altogether.

Its about time you guys getting this game!!!

I hope they don't screw up the port for you guys,this is really one of the best Tom Clancy games I've ever played, I enjoyed the hell out of it. Online play isn't all that, I got a kick out of it for a little while, but then went back to Halo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"