Rambo: Last Blood

The young girl he cares for and who she calls him uncle john and who he goes to rescue is mexican and he's friends with her mom. I doubt he has issues with all latinos and mexicans besides the baddies
The irony in this is just... I legit laughed at it. Because this is a big part of these stereotypes. Hell, it played out in First Blood Part 2. But at least that was made in the 80s. :funny:

I thought Joker was getting tons of great reviews. Isn't it already on rotten tomatoes as fresh or something?
It's exactly at 75% on RT after 104 reviews (the certified fresh cutoff is 74% I think and oddly it hasn't been yet). Should get anywhere between another 130 to 200 reviews. What is interesting about it though is that it is actually underwater when it comes to Top Critics. 10 out of 19, are rotten.

It is fun to have only one role in Hollywood. Macho bastard, who is actually a coward, who will steal and kill your women and children and fill them with drugs. It's such an honor. :atp:

What the f*ck are you talking about? You mention a hollywood role but then describe stereotypical cartels

The irony in this is just... I legit laughed at it. Because this is a big part of these stereotypes. Hell, it played out in First Blood Part 2. But at least that was made in the 80s. :funny:

And old stereotype or not , it still stands as Rambo not likely hating mexicans in general

Also the movie needs to state Rambo hates Mexicans and portray every last one as evil, or it's fine? That's like saying Trump has to admit he is racist or treat every last brown person he knows horribly, before we conclude he is racist.

...how the heck did you even come to that conclusion? I meant that unless the movie outright shows Rambo doesn't like Mexicans, him going after a Cartel who's kidnapped someone he's apparently very close to (and not to mention are clearly not people one should sympathize with) is in no way racist nor does it have any racist subtext unless you think the movie signifies that all Mexicans are bad which is a gross generalization.

i haven't read the leaked plot, nor will I choose to. I'll see the film and analyze it on my own merits. Until then, I'm just going to have to greatly disagree with you here. If there are a few Hispanic users in this thread saying they have no issue with the movie's plot so far (they haven't seen it yet, sure, and they'll have their own thoughts on it once it comes out, but for now there are no complaints), does that mean they should be as upset as you because of the way you're interpreting the movie out of a leaked synopsis without seeing it?

How they feel is not for you to decide.

Either way, I'm done with this conversation.

What the f*ck are you talking about? You mention a hollywood role but then describe stereotypical cartels
Yes. The role that makes up 99% of roles for Hispanic men in Hollywood. It's the Asian = Martial Arts Expert or Black = Gang Member of the Hispanic community. We don't even get to be the non-white friend of the white superhero these days. Actually I take that back. We got Ant-Man.. ****ing Ant-Man.

It's exactly at 75% on RT after 104 reviews (the certified fresh cutoff is 74% I think and oddly it hasn't been yet). Should get anywhere between another 130 to 200 reviews. What is interesting about it though is that it is actually underwater when it comes to Top Critics. 10 out of 19, are rotten.

Well that's interesting. I thought certified fresh was from 64 to 100

Sure wasn't expecting much rotten like that

...how the heck did you even come to that conclusion? I meant that unless the movie outright shows Rambo doesn't like Mexicans, him going after a Cartel who's kidnapped someone he's apparently very close to (and not to mention are clearly not people one should sympathize with) is in no way racist nor does it have any racist subtext unless you think the movie signifies that all Mexicans are bad which is a gross generalization.

i haven't read the leaked plot, nor will I choose to. I'll see the film and analyze it on my own merits. Until then, I'm just going to have to greatly disagree with you here. If there are a few Hispanic users in this thread saying they have no issue with the movie's plot so far (they haven't seen it yet, sure, and they'll have their own thoughts on it once it comes out, but for now there are no complaints), does that mean they should be as upset as you because of the way you're interpreting the movie out of a leaked synopsis without seeing it?

How they feel is not for you to decide.

Either way, I'm done with this conversation.
It's not about Rambo being racist. It is about the movie playing into overt racial stereotypes that make it at the very least... unfortunate. Using the cartel in the first place is asking for trouble if you are not a deft touch. Considering the reviews, I am guessing this wasn't made by the next Fincher.

Also the irony here is I am not telling you how to feel. I am telling you how I feel and you reject that out of hand because... well I am not sure. Go enjoy the movie if you like. That doesn't mean the conversation others are having is irrelevant, especially when it comes to their own views of the movie. As someone who loves First Blood Part II, I still understand how problematic that movie was. No, as a kid I didn't see it. But as adult, I am a bit more aware.

Well that's interesting. I thought certified fresh was from 64 to 100

Sure wasn't expecting much rotten like that
Certified fresh is different then just regular ole fresh. If a movie is above 59%, it is fresh. Certified fresh is some odd "seal of approval" you get in the mid 70s. I do not blame anyone for not understanding it.

Well this got fun.

Well I actually ended up enjoying this quite a bit, although I definitely think it's the weakest film in the franchise. Whenever Stallone is on screen it's great and the last 20 minutes of carnage is just the kind of gnarly, adrenaline fueled action that you want out of these kinds of movies, but man is the rest of it kind of rough. I didn't find the villains in this the least bit interesting or all that intimidating, and while I was never offended by the depiction of these cartel guys a lot of it is honestly pretty badly written, and they really do end up feeling more like caricatures than characters. Still I had a pretty damn good time watching this one.

7/10

Seem to recall a while ago there was talk of Stefan Chapovskiy playing Rambo in some flashback scenes [there was even a photo of him posing with Stallone] - was that legit? Anyone know if they were indeed filmed and, if so, are they in the movie?

Well I actually ended up enjoying this quite a bit, although I definitely think it's the weakest film in the franchise. Whenever Stallone is on screen it's great and the last 20 minutes of carnage is just the kind of gnarly, adrenaline fueled action that you want out of these kinds of movies, but man is the rest of it kind of rough. I didn't find the villains in this the least bit interesting or all that intimidating, and while I was never offended by the depiction of these cartel guys a lot of it is honestly pretty badly written, and they really do end up feeling more like caricatures than characters. Still I had a pretty damn good time watching this one.

7/10

When you say weakest in the franchise, does that include Rambo III?

Seem to recall a while ago there was talk of Stefan Chapovskiy playing Rambo in some flashback scenes [there was even a photo of him posing with Stallone] - was that legit? Anyone know if they were indeed filmed and, if so, are they in the movie?
Yeah, curious about that too.

Well, I saw Roger Moore hated it, which means this will probably be a fun film. Honestly, I probably won't see it opening weekend, but Rambo killing bad guys seems fun. Most of the reviews I've been reading call it "violent", and "mindless action". So...it's a Rambo movie. Called "Last Blood". What did you think it was going to be?
Count me in.

When you say weakest in the franchise, does that include Rambo III?

For me yes that includes Rambo 3, but honestly I never understood the hate that movie got. I have always enjoyed it just as much as First Blood Part ll, but I know a lot of people feel differently about it.

To be fair, the two best Rambo films First Blood and Rambo 2008 had a little more on their mind than just “mindless action”.
True, but I'll still take a mindlessly violent Rambo movie for what it is. And I will do so happily.

Yeah, first blood and part 4 are great, but I will always have a soft spot for part 2. I used to rent that movie ALL the time when I was a kid.

For me yes that includes Rambo 3, but honestly I never understood the hate that movie got. I have always enjoyed it just as much as First Blood Part ll, but I know a lot of people feel differently about it.

Fair enough, for me it’s the worst in the franchise by some way. Before seeing LB at least.

Saw it today and enjoyed it, it's by far the most brutal of the Rambo movies but the villains had it coming and I dug the lack of mercy Rambo showed them, the message he leaves one of the scumbag cartel brothers via his brother is savagely sweet. :unishr:

They aren't villains because they are Mexican, the young girl and her mother and grandmother that gave Rambo a family and love he'd never had are all Mexican, the woman that helps him is Mexican, the guys are villains because they are Cartel and ruthless killers with no value for human life, which is true to life, no different to when the villains are Russian gangsters, or Middle Eastern terrorists or posh voiced English villains, there's no agenda there, the films villain have as much depth as the ones in Man on Fire, which is a longer, more refined version of this film, and did anyone complain about Denzel killing them or was it ok because he's Black? No, the villains are villains because of their actions, not their race, and they mirror real life villains not ones made up for a political stance, read any article on these cartels and there's nothing depicted in the movie that hasn't happened for real, and the victims are young Mexican girls, again mirroring reality.

Now that's said, the film is very straight forward and the middle bit is hard to watch, things maybe don't go as you'd think and hope, but then when Rambo unleashes his rage it's oldschool, no nonsense action that is well staged and shot, Stallone was smart enough to realize he can't run around like he could even ten years ago nevermind 30, so the way they set the finale up is the perfect scenario and showcases that while aging, Rambo stil has the skills and knowhow along with the cold blooded mindset to still be lethal, and it's a perfectly executed finale.

It's clear the film didn't have a huge budget, the cinematography is nice and it's well shot, but there's pretty much just one big action sequence and they plowed the money into that instead of doing a bunch of half cooked sequences, and it works as I said, the pacing is spot on to where every inventive kill counts and it doesn't run on and on to the point of them losing their impact, the film has a lean runtime under 90 minutes and is a no frills revenge flick.

Word to the wise for the squeamish, the film is very violent, and when Rambo
says he's going to tear the main villain heart out, he's being literal.

At times you kinda forget it's Rambo in a way as the lack of the trademark long hair is definitely a factor, and it's tonally slightly different to the rest, especially with the setting, but Sly writes in some monologues that bring things into focus and while I'm sure most will say they are heavy handed I like them. The film did exactly what it said on the tin as far as I'm concerned and the final shot and dialogue is beautifully bittersweet.

7.5/10

Well, I saw Roger Moore hated it, which means this will probably be a fun film. Honestly, I probably won't see it opening weekend, but Rambo killing bad guys seems fun. Most of the reviews I've been reading call it "violent", and "mindless action". So...it's a Rambo movie. Called "Last Blood". What did you think it was going to be?
Count me in.

He's reviewing movies from beyond the grave? :eek:

tenor.gif

Saw it today and enjoyed it, it's by far the most brutal of the Rambo movies but the villains had it coming and I dug the lack of mercy Rambo showed them, the message he leaves one of the ******* cartel brothers via his brother is savagely sweet. :unishr:

They aren't villains because they are Mexican, the young girl and her mother and grandmother that gave Rambo a family and love he'd never had are all Mexican, the woman that helps him is Mexican, the guys are villains because they are Cartel and ruthless killers with no value for human life, which is true to life, no different to when the villains are Russian gangsters, or Middle Eastern terrorists or posh voiced English villains, there's no agenda there, the films villain have as much depth as the ones in Man on Fire, which is a longer, more refined version of this film, and did anyone complain about Denzel killing them or was it ok because he's Black? No, the villains are villains because of their actions, not their race, and they mirror real life villains not ones made up for a political stance, read any article on these cartels and there's nothing depicted in the movie that hasn't happened for real, and the victims are young Mexican girls, again mirroring reality.

Now that's said, the film is very straight forward and the middle bit is hard to watch, things maybe don't go as you'd think and hope, but then when Rambo unleashes his rage it's oldschool, no nonsense action that is well staged and shot, Stallone was smart enough to realize he can't run around like he could even ten years ago nevermind 30, so the way they set the finale up is the perfect scenario and showcases that while aging, Rambo stil has the skills and knowhow along with the cold blooded mindset to still be lethal, and it's a perfectly executed finale.

It's clear the film didn't have a huge budget, the cinematography is nice and it's well shot, but there's pretty much just one big action sequence and they plowed the money into that instead of doing a bunch of half cooked sequences, and it works as I said, the pacing is spot on to where every inventive kill counts and it doesn't run on and on to the point of them losing their impact, the film has a lean runtime under 90 minutes and is a no frills revenge flick.

Word to the wise for the squeamish, the film is very violent, and when Rambo
says he's going to tear the main villain heart out, he's being literal.

At times you kinda forget it's Rambo in a way as the lack of the trademark long hair is definitely a factor, and it's tonally slightly different to the rest, especially with the setting, but Sly writes in some monologues that bring things into focus and while I'm sure most will say they are heavy handed I like them. The film did exactly what it said on the tin as far as I'm concerned and the final shot and dialogue is beautifully bittersweet.

7.5/10

He's reviewing movies from beyond the grave? :eek:

tenor.gif

Apparently
Roger Moore Movie Reviews & Previews

I've read his reviews for films, and we tend to be polar opposites. I think his review of Spider-Verse (yes, that's how I gauge people) was negative because it wasn't Pixar enough. But I digress...

Good to see your review. I can never tell when people (NO OFFENSE MEANT TO ANYONE) are claiming something has racist overtones to them, or when it's just a matter of opinion. Then there are times when there are blatantly racist tones to it, which happens all the time, and is NOT cool. However, if a lot of the film takes place in Mexico, and there are Mexican PRO-tagonists and ANT-agonists, then that negates the racist connotations quite a bit. I mean, if there were a British guy in charge of the Mexican cartel members, isn't that more off-putting and, from a certain perspective, more racist?
Beats me. I'm just there to watch Sly kill bad folk. From what I've seen, he's an equal rights justice dispenser. Hoping to check this out sometime...although the wife wins the weekend. We'll be seeing Downton Abbey, which will be the only enemy Rambo doesn't slay this weekend.

Saw the film myself and did enjoy it but yeah I think it's the weakest in the franchise.

I really love this extra determined, gritty and intense Rambo though. He was always the reluctant hero in the other movies, which was fine but here as soon as he's told "she went to mexico and hasn't come back" he goes into a hell nah mode!

When Rambo unleashes himself, he's a beast and a war machine. Old or young!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"