Rank Every Theatrical Bat Film from Best to Worst

*Dies of laughter* this is what you call lonnnng nights without sleep. Forgive me.

And too many threads discussing the new bat-suit and how it compares to others.

1. The Dark Knight Rises
2. The Dark Knight
3. Batman Begins
4. Batman Returns
5. Batman (1989)
6. Batman Mask of the Phantasm
7. Batman (1966)
8. Batman Forever
9. Batman & Robin

1. The Dark Knight
2. The Dark Knight Rises
3. Batman Begins
4. Batman Mask of the Phantasm
5. Batman (1989)
6. Batman Returns
7. Batman (1966)
8. Batman Forever
9. Batman & Robin

My turn

1. The Dark Knight, IMO best Batman film ever, the definitive Bat-film against
which all are measured
2. Batman Begins, my favourite version of Batman's origin.
3. Batman 1989, so much fun, both dark and incredibly entertaining
4. Dark Knight Rises, a few plot holes, but ends on such a high note
5. Batman Returns, the rocket penguins were stupid, but Catwoman was awesome, sorry Anne, but Michelle Pfeiffer was the best Catwoman ever.
6. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
7. Batman Forever, was really cool when it first came out, but with repeated
viewings gets dumber and dumber
8. Batman 1966. So cheesy it's painful to watch, but still funny, in a groan-worthy way.

and last on any list........Batman and Robin, ugh, the standard by which crap super-hero movies will be measured for a long time to come. Truly awful.
In fact, so awful it's hilarious.....but still awful. The kind of film you only watch because it comes on TV at some ungodly hour and you can't sleep, or you watch by mistake.

Just IMO !

1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman Begins
3. The Dark Knight Rises
4. Batman (1989)
5. Batman Mask of the Phantasm
6. Batman Returns
7. Batman Forever
8. Batman (1966)
9. Batman & Robin

and last on any list........Batman and Robin, ugh, the standard by which crap super-hero movies will be measured for a long time to come. Truly awful.
In fact, so awful it's hilarious.....but still awful. The kind of film you only watch because it comes on TV at some ungodly hour and you can't sleep, or you watch by mistake.

Just IMO !

9. Batman & Robin

1GKwtsI.gif

1. The Dark Knight
2. The Dark Knight Rises
3. Batman
4. Batman Begins
5. Batman
6. Batman Returns
7. Batman Forever
8. Batman and Robin.

I excluded the 1966 and animated movies from this list.

Batman has had a great theatrical release average with only two truly below average films (Schumacher films), 4 great films (Nolan's and Batman 1989) and one good film (Returns)

But Batman The Movie('66) and MOTP were both theatrical releases. :(

1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman Returns
3. The Dark Knight Rises
4. Batman Begins
5. Batman
6. Batman: The Movie
7. Batman Forever
8. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
9. Batman & Robin

But Batman The Movie('66) and MOTP were both theatrical releases. :(

Haha, I know I know. I loved both but I just limited my list to what the general public would refer to as the "Batman movies"

1) Dark Knight - 10/10 - A great story; a brilliant portrayal of the Joker unlike any we have ever seen before and a Batman newly conceptualized as well.

2) Dark Knight Rises 9/10 - Superb storyline full of twists and one that lovingly gives Bruce Wayne a happy ending. A love letter to the fans.

3) Batman '89 8/10 - THE superhero movie that opened the doors for all that followed. Burton and Keaton defined Batman for generations to come.

4) Batman & Robin 7/10 - Hated, reviled, and to some degree misunderstood, but always on the minds and lips of fans. I give it props not for being lazy on the script, but being brutally honest about the concept and having fun with it to the disdain of many who take the idea too seriously. Plus it remains a great looking picture. It has endured despite it's critics and will continue long after we're all gone.

5) Batman '66 7/10 - A film and series that brought the comic back from the edge of cancellation. Nothing strikes terror in the hearts of diehards more than when the concept gets turned on it's ear... and succeeds. I tip my cowl to the Adam West for knowing how to play this character and make it timeless for generations of fans.

6) Batman Forever 7/10 - A film that reintroduces camp and fun to a welcoming audience. A fun/solid film, but also one that I had some casting issues with. While Kilmer's performance is excellent as Bruce, his age seems too close to Chris O'Donnell's and that makes him look more like his peer than a mentor. I thought Clooney looked and acted the mentor much better.

7) Batman Begins 6/10 - A film that does a marvelous job of telling the origin from Bruce Wayne to Batman, but did little to develop Batman when he put on the cowl. A solid piece of film making, but one that took the hero too far from the look and actions I had come to expect. Nolan and company repaired that quickly and to amazing degree in the subsequent sequels.

8) Batman Returns 5/10 - A film that looks confused in characters, story, and tone. The story tries to be serious where it should have taken a lighter mood and makes many dark moments look unintentionally funny because they are either poorly conceived or badly overacted with no purpose or direction. One plus - I like the look in the film, but it's story and tone weigh it down past the point of viewing pleasure. Is it any wonder we got the next treatment that we did?

The dark knight
The dark knight rises
Batman begins
Batman 89
Batman returns
Batman forever
Batman and robin

Batman
The Dark Knight
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight Rises
Mask of The Phantasm
Batman Returns
Batman Forever
Batman:The Movie
Batman&Robin

Last edited:
The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises
Batman Begins
Mask of the Phantasm
Batman the movie
Batman Forever
Batman and Robin
Batman
Batman Returns

1 Batman Begins, Mask of the Phantasm, Dark Knight
2 Batman '89
3 Dark Knight Rises
4 Batman Forever
5 Batman Returns
6 Batman '66
7 Batman and Robin

I honestly cannot pick a #1 at the top, honestly to make a list I envision what Batman film I couldnt do without...there are aspects of each that I cant give up.

Everything after TDKR is decent and I would easily put animated films, episodes of the animated series, the arkham games, and certain comics above those films....

We are spoiled with Bat-goodness.

Not sure if I have voted here but sometimes a few films swap round for me however as it stands now:

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
Batman Begins
Batman (1989)
The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises
Batman Returns
Batman Forever
Batman '66
Batman & Robin (Turd)

Not sure if I have voted here but sometimes a few films swap round for me however as it stands now:

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
Batman Begins
Batman (1989)
The Dark Knight
Batman Returns
Batman Forever
Batman '66
Batman & Robin
The Dark Knight Rises(Turd)
*fixed

I think the Dark Knight Rises took a big step down from Nolan's first two, it's a decent movie at best but definitely not turd for me.

How come you didn't like it so much? You can't honestly think it's worse than Batman & Robin?

My #1 is still The Dark Knight Rises.

And I would rank Batman Returns as the lowest, yes, BELOW Batman & Robin. You see, Batman & Robin is watchable believe it or not. It's colorful, fun to look at, not taking itsself seriously and has something of a plot. Sure the villain's plans are dumb (freeze the world + plants everywhere) but at least we know what they want. Honest to god, I still don't know what Penguin or Catwoman really wanted. Plus, Returns feels sooooo long just dragging, puts you in a foul mood. Elfman's score comes off as cartoonish in some areas and I overall I do not know what the film is trying to accomplish.

The Dark Knight - 10
Batman - 10
The Dark Knight Rises - 7
Batman Begins - 7
Batman Returns - 7
Batman: Mask of The Phantasm - 7
Batman Forever - 4
Batman & Robin - 1

And Batman, the 1966 movie... I'm not sure. It's just imperfectly perfect. It's its own thing, it's a creature of its own kind. Cannot rate that, let alone compare it to the other movies.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"