Rank MCU fathers

samsnee

Ok
Reaction score
Shang-Chi continues the Marvel tradition of crappy dads and children who are in conflict with them. How do you rank MCU dads, best to worst?

The contenders:

Howard Stark: Absentee father who never hugged his kid
Odin: Lied to his sons about a long lost sister and Loki’s true heritage
Ego: Gave Peter’s mom cancer and tried using him to take over the galaxy
T’Chaka: Didn’t tell his son he killed his uncle and refused to let Wakanda help others in the world
Hank: Lied for years to his daughter about what happened to her mother
Thanos: Wiped out half the universe
Wenwu:
Trained his son to be an assassin and sent him to kill her murderer

There's still a few missing from the list, but are you only including the bad ones? Because if we're ranking them from best to worst I suppose the best would have to be Tony, right? He sacrificed himself to save the universe but most of all so his daughter could have a future. My ranking:

Legitimately good
1. Tony Stark
2. Clint Barton - Still a good dad to his kids even if he wasn't always around due to his job
3. Scott Lang - Also a good dad even though he wasn't always present due to imprisonment
4. Vision
5. Yondu - Yeah, his past is checkered but he still sacrificed himself to save Quill and he was more of a father to him than anyone else
6. Hank Pym
7. Howard Stark
8. T'Chaka - Even though he made some dark and in some cases selfish decisions, he was still a good father to T'Challa
9. Talos
10. Red Guardian

Morally gray
11. N'Jobu
12. Adrian Toomes
13. General Ross
14. Wenwu
15. Odin

Evil dads
16. Dreykov
17. Thanos
18. Ego - Only reason why I rank him as a worse dad than Thanos is because Nebula and Gamora aren't his biological children

Since Thanos is included, I put Yondu and Alexei on my list too even though they aren't biological fathers, and I guess Vision fits in there too.

Last edited:
Their quality as fathers, stepfathers, or foster fathers (I did not watch movies from this year, so I can't count them):

1. Scott Lang: Got out of prison and went to his kid's birthday with a present. Told he needs to find a job and have a place to live in if he wants to take care of her and he went for that. Took a huge risk to protect her, hanged with her, listened to advice from her, and the first thing he did out of the quantum realm was hope that her name is not on the stone commemorating the departed by the snap. And he's not evil, no bad luck with accidentally killing a guy.
  2. T'Chaka: He wasn't the best uncle, but a wise and caring father, and a respect worthy king.
  3. Tony Stark: Whatever else he did, he was a doting father.
  4. Odin: He kidnapped a baby and raised him as his own, that costs him a few points. Since he was reasonable while caring for his children (wait, he punished Hela for her unstable desire for conquest, am I opening a can of worms with this one? I'll stop talking)
  5. N'Jobu: At least he was willing to let his boy know about his heritage and wanted more for him.
  6. Thaddeus Ross: While on a hunt for Bruce, protecting his estranged daughter was still his more pressing priority.
  7. Clint Barton: I have nothing negative to say.
  8. Meredith's dad: What little we saw of him was a father who made sure the family bond was a precious value, and wanted his grandson to be with his daughter in her last moments as she wanted.
  9. Hank Pym: Scott Lang answered why this guy is a good father in the car with Hope.
  10. Rocket Raccoon: Groot said 'Dad' looking at him after the snap effect.
  11. Adrian Toomes: A happy family means he's a good father and a husband.
  12. Drax the Destroyer: Wanting revenge over the death of your kid says at least that he loved her.
  13. Howard Stark: Emotionally absent at times, but his son cares so much, it was one of Tony's favorite moments in life when he hugged his dad. Definitely a good dad.
  14. Yondu: He saved Peter Quill from Ego, and saved planet Earth (and the galaxy) with it.
  15. Carol's dad: He might be a good dad other times, but seriously man, your daughter was injured in a go-kart race and your first response was to scold her instead of seeing if she's ok?
  16. Lauffey: His baby son was kidnapped by his enemy after a war ended without caring, and if Odin was right about Loki being abandoned this makes the leader of Frost Giants even crappier.
  17. Thanos: He cared more about the kids he raised than Laufey did, but the level of torture he subjected poor Nebula to makes him worse. And his willingness to toss the daughter he favored (although he slayed her family mercilessly) off a cliff to achieve his ambition
  18. Ego: How many of his children died? Way too many, at least a child on every planet, because they did not inherit his constitution he was like 'Useless progeny' and moved on. And he wanted them as seeds to destroy planets for.... what was his reason for that again?

The 'redemptive' angle seen in Endgame between Tony and his father, was beautifully handled and woven in to the overall film.

And oh I also loved that moment when Scott saw Cassy in Endgame. Whats weird is Cassy looked nothing like the kid that appeared in Ant-Man and the Wasp, obviously a different actress, but I felt the genuine emotion from them. Its too bad the actress didn't return for Quantumania.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"