Rank R-Rated Superhero Movies

DACrowe

Avenger
Reaction score
Like the title says, rank what you think are the best R-rated superhero movies. You can also vote for your favorite in the poll above?

This is, however, only superhero movies or movies set in a world with superheroes in it--not all R-rated comic book movies. So that left me in a nebulous place with a few, primarily the Blade films, Dredd, and V for Vendetta, which I opted to not call superhero movies.

I haven't seen Joker yet. And it's been too many years since I've seen the crow to really rank it. My ranking of the rest would be:

Kick-Ass
Logan
Watchmen
Deadpool
Birds of Prey
Deadpool 2
Hellboy
Daredevil (This was really rated R?)
Kick-Ass 2

I'll play. My too 5 include.

1. Logan , a masterpiece. Strong contender for best cbm ever.

2. The Crow, another masterpiece- dark but glorious, as a fan of Brandon Lee this film meant a lot to me, also has the best soundtrack ever.

3. Kick Ass, fresh and sharp and hilarious - every time I hear an 11 year old Hit Girl say " Okay you C--ts, what are ya gonna do now ?" I crack up

4. Watchmen, not a bad adaptation at all of an incredibly complex and nuanced story.

5. V for Vendetta, another pretty good adaptation of another incredibly complex and nuanced story.

Not really a fan of the Joker film - a brilliant performance but not a take on the character that I enjoyed.

It's not strictly superhero but V for Vendetta is by far the best. I also hold Dredd in high regard. The rest I'd probably rank them like that:

01. Joker
02. Logan
03. Deadpool
04. Kick-Ass
05. Deadpool 2
06. Birds of Prey
07. Watchmen
08. Daredevil DC
09. Kick-Ass 2

I hate to admit I've never watched The Crow in its entirety so I won't rank it yet and I can't stand to finish the Hellboy reboot but I'm sure I'd put it last.

I can’t trust anyone who doesn’t put The Crow at the top of their list. Just dark gothic occult perfection from start to finish.

I’d put Deadpool, Joker, DP2 and Kick-Ass to round out my top 5.

Kingsman The Secret Service #1 for cbms! Then Wanted.

For superhero films? I don't love any of the films listed in the poll but I would rate Birds of Prey the highest, even if it was not a good Birds of Prey film.

Worst for me from the poll is either Deadpool 2 or Kick Ass 2. I haven't seen the Directors cut of Daredevil and the Crow. While Logan is the least rewatchable film from the ones I've seen that are listed in the poll.

Last edited:
Logan
Kick-Ass
Deadpool
Birds of Prey
Joker
Deadpool 2
Watchmen
Kick-Ass 2
Haven't seen the others. Kick-Ass 2 might be my least favorite superhero film ever made though, worse than Fant4stic for me.

What makes the likes of Blade or Dredd or V for Vendetta any less R-rated superhero movies than the other ones? That's a rather narrow way of looking at it just because they don't have legions of other heroes crawling around out there. That said, it'd probably come down to Logan, Deadpool, and the Watchmen Director's Cut for me.

What makes the likes of Blade or Dredd or V for Vendetta any less R-rated superhero movies than the other ones? That's a rather narrow way of looking at it just because they don't have legions of other heroes crawling around out there. That said, it'd probably come down to Logan, Deadpool, and the Watchmen Director's Cut for me.

People always tend to forget that before X-Men and Spider-Man, Blade made superhero movies cool and profitable again. He paved the way for Marvel movies.

Kingsman The Secret Service #1 for cbms! Then Wanted.

For superhero films? I don't love any of the films listed in the poll but I would rate Birds of Prey the highest, even if it was not a good Birds of Prey film.

Worst for me from the poll is either Deadpool 2 or Kick Ass 2. I haven't seen the Directors cut of Daredevil and the Crow. While Logan is the least rewatchable film from the ones I've seen that are listed in the poll.

Was Kingsman rated R ? If so then it goes to #3 on my list , pushing Kick Ass, another Matthew Vaughn film, down to 4. The first Kingsman is one of my go-to films, sadly the sequel was nowhere near as good.

I can’t trust anyone who doesn’t put The Crow at the top of their list. Just dark gothic occult perfection from start to finish.

I’d put Deadpool, Joker, DP2 and Kick-Ass to round out my top 5.

I couldn't put it past Logan, at the top, but it's definitely #2. While the effects haven't aged so well, the performances in that film still hold up - especially BL , who was brilliant, in the lead.

1. Joker
2. Logan
3. Deadpool
4. The Crow
5. Deadpool 2
6. Kick-Ass
7. Birds of Prey
8. Kingsman
9. Watchmen
10. Defendor

Reactions: CJ
Logan is the better movie but I'll admit that I enjoyed Deadpool more.

My ranking:

1. Logan
2. Kick-Ass
3. Deadpool
4. Joker
5. Birds of Prey and Deadpool 2 (tie)
7. The Crow
8. Watchmen
9. Daredevil (Director's Cut)
10. Kick-Ass 2

I still don't consider V for Vendetta a superhero movie, what with the "hero" being a revolutionary anarchist who dabbles in terrorism and torture, but I see a lot of people listing it. If y'all count that, it'd be #2, easily.

In retrospect, I could've included the Director's Cut of Batman v Superman. Heh.

I was like "Hey, was Hellboy R rated?"

And then I remembered the new version existed... :dry:

In no particular order:

Logan
Darkman
The Toxic Avenger
Blade II
The Crow
The Punisher
Deadpool
Joker
Birds Of Prey

I wanna include Dredd but it ain't really a superhero flick. But damn, do I love that movie.

1. Joker
2. Deadpool
3. Watchmen
4. The Crow
5. The Punisher (2004)
6. Logan

Last edited:
A really tough choice as there are some amazing R rated CBMs, but Logan is top for me.

God Tier: Watchmen, Logan, V For Vendetta, Kingsman The Secret Service

Top Tier: Joker, Deadpool, Deadpool 2,

Mid Tier: Daredevil (Directors Cut), Kick Ass,

Bottom Tier: Hellboy, Birds Of Prey, Kick Ass 2,

Haven't Seen: The Crow

The Crow is definitely an all timer, would highly recommend to anyone who hasn't seen it.

Joker
Hellboy (was this rated R ?)
Watchmen
Birds of Prey
Kingsman The Secret Service
Wanted
Deadpool

Still have to watch Logan. No interest in Deadp0ol 2 and Kick-Ass 2.

Watched my recent purchase of Watchmen – Ultimate Cut this past week and was just a joyous watch, it always is, but having everything inter-woven was pure love. An epic watch and enjoyed every moment of it.

Out of the ones in the poll:

1. Logan
2. Joker
3. Deadpool
4. Watchmen (Director's Cut)
5. Kick-Ass
6. Deadpool 2
7. The Crow
8. Birds of Prey
9. Kick-Ass 2

Have not seen Hellboy (2019) or Daredevil Directors Cut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"