Iron Man 3 Rank the Iron Man movies (IM, IM2, and IM3)

I kind of liked it ending the way it did. It was like people watching a good old epic boxing match (only this time between monsters!)

If their fight would've kept going on like it did on the street it would've been perfect, but when they took to the roof it slowed down to much.

They didn't know how Extremis worked at that point in time. You're going to call Stark unprepared when he was in his armor when she came in, and was unaware of the exact threat he was facing? I don't think that is valid given Stark's lack of knowledge on Extremis. Hypothetically, yes an Extremis person could have blown them up. Unhypothetically, Stark was unaware that he was facing human bombs. As for the copters, they were labeled as News helicopters. He probably thought they were the media.

I don't agree with your complaint. The only thing Stark did that was dumb in that scene was where a different armor that was more offense capable. But, at same time, that could have killed Pepper if he wasn't around the Mark 42 at the time so he could attach it to her quickly.

I think Stark was using a remote controlled suit at the time. And yes he was unprepared. Since didn't know exactly what he was facing he should have been hyper vigilant. Have remote controlled suits check out anything approaching his house from well out of the kill range of previous bombs. That is the least he could have done after asking to be attacked. He had started working on the bombings and had to be aware that was the most likely form of attack.

News helicopter, umm villains lie, come on now. Stark should have been ready for attacks by land, sea or air and he had ample resources to do so.

I think Stark was using a remote controlled suit at the time. And yes he was unprepared. Since didn't know exactly what he was facing he should have been hyper vigilant. Have remote controlled suits check out anything approaching his house from well out of the kill range of previous bombs. That is the least he could have done after asking to be attacked. He had started working on the bombings and had to be aware that was the most likely form of attack.

News helicopter, umm villains lie, come on now. Stark should have been ready for attacks by land, sea or air and he had ample resources to do so.

The media is par for the course for Stark. Especially after he openly threatened a terrorist. Of course a media cover would work for a man who is used to the media. Also, he had no idea at that point how the explosions occurred. He saw no signs of weapons on Mya. Why would he assume she was a bomb? I assume those "newscoptors" were there for hours. Not just arrived. Jarvis even commented on them, so he likely checked them out earlier to some degree.

Simply don't agree here.

Iron Man 1
Iron Man 3

There's a second?? I heard it was never made because the Producers discovered standards!

Rewatched the Iron Man specific movies.

1. Iron Man - 9/10
2. The Avengers - 8/10
3. Iron Man 3 - 7/10
4. Iron Man 2 - 6/10

The twist of the Mandarin being Killian wouldn't have worked if the audience didn't believe Kingsley was the Mandarin. That was the genius of the whole deception. Killain fit the theme of the movie very well and made for an effective Mandarin. He just didn't have rings of power. He was more like a combination of Mandarin and the Melter. The Mandarin was always able to go toe to toe with Stark, and it is funny that in many early issues, the Mandarin was believed to be a myth.

I can understand Killian didn't have the rings or the look of the classic Mandarin, and this lack iconography burns many fans. But, I think the spirit of the character worked in many ways.

Kinglsey represents the look and iconography of the mandarin while Pearce is his spirit,at least that's the way I see it.

1. Iron Man 1 9.5/10
2. The Avengers 9.25/10
3. Iron Man 2 8.5/10
4. Iron Man 3 7.5/10

IM-1 : Wow

IM-2 : Average

Avengers : Awesome

IM-3 : ok I assume this was just tony's dream .

lol kedrell

I liked all of them but Iron Man 2 was easier the weakest, The Avengers was really nothing special besides being an event film, all it needed was to be competent, and it was, Unfortunatelly it wasn't anything more than that. For some of its flaws Iron Man 3 was still one of the most entertaining MCU films, also was one of the most interestingly directed of the bunch

I agree Iron Man 3 was very entertaining and had the most personality out of all MCU films.

Last edited:
Yeah, I enjoy it, but IM2 is easily the weakest of all the MCU movies, imo.

Kinglsey represents the look and iconography of the mandarin while Pearce is his spirit,at least that's the way I see it.

...and also explained that way in the movie, lol.

tumblr_m2a962BVDe1rnwehko1_500.gif

I watched IM3 last night, since the time I saw it in theaters, and I enjoyed it a lot more than my first viewing. I still think IM1 is the best, but I really like IM3....except for that kid. Why did they make him out to know who Tony was, then to know who Iron Man was, and then act like he doesn't know who Tony is just a few seconds later. WTF?!? Bahhhh, it bugs me so much!

lol kedrell

I liked all of them but Iron Man 2 was easier the weakest, The Avengers was really nothing special besides being an event film, all it needed was to be competent, and it was, Unfortunatelly it wasn't anything more than that. For some of its flaws Iron Man 3 was still one of the most entertaining MCU films, also was one of the most interestingly directed of the bunch

I disagree. IM2 is one of if not the best superhero sequel that I've seen to date. It continues to do what the first film did and subvert(in clever little ways) the typical superhero movie. That's been a huge part of this franchise's identity and success so far. IM3 was a well made competent movie that just happened to have a giant creative brain fart right in the middle of it. They did it to try and be ballsy and shake things up and I can appreciate that on some level but in reality what they ended up doing is giving the middle finger to the fans. Especially when the dukee director comes out afterwards and openly mocks them. And the Avengers was simple but it was masterfully done and hit just about all that it aimed for. I really don't give points for movies that try and fail so much as I give points to movies that aim for a target and hit what they are aiming for.

So, LOL at your :doh: opinions as well.

Last edited:
On IM2... When even the star, director and producer of the movie say it was pretty bad... It's hard to argue.

I don't think any of them ever said that. Link or it didn't happen. I know Shane Black criticized it but then he went on to make an even worse movie so screw him. Same goes for Roarke.

Okay one, the Mandarin was the BTS villain AND the physical threat.

"You simply rule from behind the scenes, because the second you give evil a face, you hand the people a target."

AKA, I worked behind the scenes, gave someone else the face of evil, while I did things behind the scenes.

Also, yes he had no issue calling the suits at the finale...after Mark 42 had been repaired. Would you have rather had the spectacle of all 42 suits in Killian's mansion, or for the finale?

Mach 42 had been repaired before the finale though, it was fixed at the kids house. Stark could have called another or all the armours for the Mansion attack, Air Force One rescue as well as the finale. Then we could have gotten more of the suits and more of Tony in them as well, which is a common complaint about the movie.

The twist of the Mandarin being Killian wouldn't have worked if the audience didn't believe Kingsley was the Mandarin. That was the genius of the whole deception. Killain fit the theme of the movie very well and made for an effective Mandarin. He just didn't have rings of power. He was more like a combination of Mandarin and the Melter. The Mandarin was always able to go toe to toe with Stark, and it is funny that in many early issues, the Mandarin was believed to be a myth.

I can understand Killian didn't have the rings or the look of the classic Mandarin, and this lack iconography burns many fans. But, I think the spirit of the character worked in many ways.

I do think the spirit of the character was there, but he wasnt threatening enough for me, and Stark wasnt really clever in the way he engaged him either, as others have said. I dont think what they did with the Mandarin was blasphemy like others do, but I understand their views. On 1st viewing I thought the twist worked, but its on subsequent viewings that it feels cheap and unnecessarily decieving.

I disagree. IM2 is one of if not the best superhero sequel that I've seen to date. It continues to do what the first film did and subvert(in clever little ways) the typical superhero movie. That's been a huge part of this franchise's identity and success so far.

Almost everything in the sequel was a downgrade from the original, it felt safe and wasted Vanko

IM3 was a well made competent movie that just happened to have a giant creative brain fart right in the middle of it. They did it to try and be ballsy and shake things up and I can appreciate that on some level but in reality what they ended up doing is giving the middle finger to the fans. Especially when the dukee director comes out afterwards and openly mocks them. And the Avengers was simple but it was masterfully done and hit just about all that it aimed for. I really don't give points for movies that try and fail so much as I give points to movies that aim for a target and hit what they are aiming for.

So, LOL at your :doh: opinions as well.
Just competent? Really? Avengers was simple, but i'm not talking about the plot, i'm talking about the way it was directed, Joss Whedon can write his scripts but his directing style is safe and uninspired. And it seems like the twist has only really affected fans, the rest seems to love it, i myself disliked it, but that doesn't make the film fail any targets, because it mostly succeeded. Complex plot that was still effective, the villain was actually very good compared to most other MCU villains, the comedy was top notch and the characters were interesting and engaging. It was compared to Iron Man 2 a good step in every direction.

And Iron Man 3 wasn't just competent, the film was full of personality, something MCU films have been lacking.

And i'dd rather get good and risky films than the usual safe and competent film.

I don't give much of a **** about directing 'style' as I don't subscribe to auteur theory. I'll take a solid craftsman over an auteur any day of the week. And Whedon is in this case at least definitely the former. IM3 felt like a Shane Black movie with Iron Man characters in it rather than an Iron Man movie with Shane Black touches. I really don't dig that. I'm of the opinion that the property/concept is king and those working on it should always be in service to that rather than the other way around which is exactly what an auteur does.

To me it felt like MCU's Iron Man, the character was drastically changed by John Favreau in the first film to begin with, that was Basically a John Favreau film with an Iron Man, it wasn't completelly the original property/ concept. You see what you wanna see, all those who came after have used that same character and added a few of their oun style into it, it's by no means a bad thing, actually the oposite.

I didn't sense a drastic change in the character when Favs did it. A little bit, sure with the more snarkyness and whatnot but still very much the same character. I thought what little they added was for the most part an improvement. But that movie is still 85-90% true to source material.

I don't give much of a **** about directing 'style' as I don't subscribe to auteur theory. I'll take a solid craftsman over an auteur any day of the week. And Whedon is in this case at least definitely the former. IM3 felt like a Shane Black movie with Iron Man characters in it rather than an Iron Man movie with Shane Black touches. I really don't dig that. I'm of the opinion that the property/concept is king and those working on it should always be in service to that rather than the other way around which is exactly what an auteur does.

Agreed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"