Rank the Seasons

The Big G

A Filthy Ningen
Reaction score
All right folks...time to rank the seasons

1. Season 4
From the conquering of Meereen, the Death of Joffery, the Mountain v Viper and the Watchers on the Wall.
2. Season 6
While Dany's story was weak, everyone else's was great
3. Season 7
Despite its slow start, it was one of the best.
4.Season 1
A solid intro season
5.Season 3
Astapor burning to the ground and the Red Wedding
6. Season 2
Outside of Tyrion in KL and Blackwater, everyone's stories were just ok
7. Season 5
Despite Hardhome vying for the best episode of the series, an overall weak season. Jamie and Bronn in Dorne could have been great...:(

1. Season 3
2. Season 4
3. Season 1
4. Season 2
5. Season 6
6. Season 5

7. Season 7

1. Season 4
Still my favorite just because of the momentum it had and it was also based off of most of my favorite parts from A Storm of Swords.
2. Season 1
I'm ranking it above season 6 because of its storyline, but in terms of sheer enjoyment, 6 might have it beat.
3. Season 6
I thought it was a very good season as it was, but episodes 9 and 10 just elevated it to the next level.
4. Season 3
If not for episodes 9 and 10 of season 6, this would have had it beat.
5. Season 7
Still a great season even though it was only 7 episodes, mostly thanks to "The Spoils of War" and "Beyond the Wall". The finale was awesome too.
6. Season 2
Still great, and "Blackwater" remains one of the best episodes of the series.
7. Season 5
It started out slow but had a stronger finish, still good but it was the weakest season to me.

Hello everyone,

I find it hard to rank the seasons. However, I have to say that like for most of you, my number one season is the 4th one. The momentum was outstanding and there were so many surprises. My second favourite is season 7. I just can’t wait to know what’s going to happen next.

1. 3
2. 2
3. 1
4. 4
5. 5
6. 6

7. 7

The rot started in 5. Last two seasons were pretty bad. Especially 7. First 3 seasons were a blast. 4 was also very good.

I just watched all of them up through 6 . My ranking goes

1. 3
2. 2
3. 1
4. 4
5. 5
6. 6

7. 7

The rot started in 5. Last two seasons were pretty bad. Especially 7. First 3 seasons were a blast. 4 was also very good.

Man I thought 6 redeemed the series. It took what didnt work in season 5 and made things interesting again. There was movement and we got good payoffs. 6 was a return to form

I'm conflicted about season 2. The Tyrion scenes are some of my favorite moments in the show. The Dany scenes are some of my least favorite moments in the show.

They still haven't resolved the Warlock storyline either.

I also have a hard timing ranking them. I can tell you this... season 6 is the season I go back to the most. I love how it starts with Jon dead and ends with him being King of the North.

After that... probably....

S4
S3
S7
S1
S2
S5

I love them all. They are all just parts of the greater whole, and I love it.

1. Season 3
2. Season 4
3. Season 2
4. Season 1
5. Season 6
6. Season 5
7. Season 7

My list:
Season 7
Season 3
Season 4
Season 5
Season 1
Season 6
Season 2

1. 3
2. 2
3. 1
4. 4
5. 5
6. 6

7. 7

This is about how I feel. The show started to fray in season 4, but it was still quite good. Season 5 was when it began to unravel in earnest (though at the time I still enjoyed some of it), and the last two seasons are basically well made crap that's little different than something any Hollywood hack could put out.

And now after reading the novels, I realize the show is not only bad in its own right, but a very poor adaption of books 4/5. GoT had the chance to streamline the convoluted and indulgent mess ASoIaF became in the later books, but instead they cut decent material for their own subpar fanfic. And if that wasn't bad enough, the stuff they kept bastardizes and almost completely subverts the intent of the source material.

I found an interesting graph that charts the faithfulness of the show to the books, and it's pretty telling in regards to when it lost the plot (pun intended). Not that GRRM's books are scared or that he can do no wrong, but if you're going to cut and/or replace material from the books, you should make sure what you're replacing it with is at least as good if not better.

joeltronics-got-book-show-combined.png

It's disappointing that what was once one of my favorite shows has been reduced to a hate watch.

It's disappointing that what was once one of my favorite shows has been reduced to a hate watch.
Illustrative.

Yeah, I just wait for it to be put out of it's misery so I can move on. Somewhat I'm happy there's only 6 episodes left.

As someone who has seen pretty much every 'prestige' TV drama dating back to the original Twin Peaks, I can tell you that there is no 'bad' season of Game of Thrones. There's the good (2,5,7) and the great (1,3,4,6). I've also read the books multiple times and love them, however I recognize that books can do things that shows can't and vice versa. Without the show we wouldn't have Ramin Djawadi's indelible score, for example. Anyway, my rankings...

1) S1: Damn near perfect season of TV with great characters, political intrigue, mythology and genuine shocks and surprises. The finale left you wanting more in a way few shows do.
2) S4: Relentless pace that greatly changed the chess board for all the characters. Maybe the best three episode run with 8,9 and 10. Oberyn, within only a few episodes, became a fan favorite. Great performance and writing here.
3) S6: Long-form, serialized story-telling is all about setup and payoff. S6 gave us quite a bit of payoff and has three of the best episodes of the entire series (The Door, Battle of the Bastards and The Winds of Winter which for me is the single best ep of GoT).
4) S3: People mostly remember S3 for ep9 and for that they are really only remembering the end of ep9, but this season is very consistent. Every episode is solid with some of the best writing and character development of the show.
5) S5: Dorne plot was a misfire, but overall this is solid TV. Episodes 8 and 10 stand out, and the overall downer of an ending was bold. I remember how many people said they were going to quit watching the show after Jon's death. They didn't like the nihilism and hopelessness. Well, the viewership going forward certainly didn't support those claims.
6) S7: More spectacle than story and character development, but we are in the last act of the story so it is warranted. And boy, what spectacle it is. You won't find action like this anywhere else on TV, and the investment in the characters that we have elevates all of it. I held my breath for the last 15 minutes of 'The Spoils of War' because I didn't know who to root for and I knew anyone (except Dany) could die. This season does feel like a Part 1 and S8 will be Part 2, but I still enjoyed it.
7) S2: This is the season I always find myself least invested in. It's not bad by any means, however it doesn't have the forward momentum of the other seasons for me. It's Tyrion's best season and everything he does at King's Landing is fantastic. Excellent season for Robb as well.

1. Season 3
2. Season 4
3. Season 1
4. Season 6 / 2 (Pretty even with greatness and flaws)
6. Season 7
7. Season 5

I really need to rewatch it to have a secure ranking, but I'll throw one out. I'm more inclined to reread the books instead of rewatching the show anyway.

1. Season 3
2. Season 4
3. Season 2
4. Season 1
5. Season 6
6. Season 5
7. Season 7

The show has really faltered in later seasons when B&W try to write outside the books. Season 7 is a mess in pacing and often scenes are just thrown in there without much justification of how things go there, just because the writers want them. Season 5 probably has the worst single story line as the one with Sansa is a completely redundant one that not only halts all character progression but also completely breaks character for Littlefinger in a very fundamental way.

Its kinda hard ranking the seasons of the best series of all time isnt it ?

Not really as theyre quite distinct with being pretty amazing to outright disappointing

For me they are all amazing. 7th seaosn was the best because of the pay offs but other than that i liked all 7.

Best TV show of all time imho.

Honestly, its way too tough to rank Got's seasons. I am a huge fan of each and every season of Game of thrones.

Season 7 was the absolute worst but season 6 isn't that far behind. Season 5 is probably when the downfall begun but I have to say it was overall pretty solid up until the last two. I have a feeling season 8 is going to continue that trend...

Season 7 was the absolute worst but season 6 isn't that far behind. Season 5 is probably when the downfall begun but I have to say it was overall pretty solid up until the last two. I have a feeling season 8 is going to continue that trend...
Unfortunately you're almost certainly correct. D&D have no incentive to improve their storytelling chops when it's these past two seasons that have gotten them the most awards and highest ratings yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"