The Force Awakens Rank the Star Wars Films!

And yet...I was one of those who thought some parts didn't make sense before until now cause at the time I was in high school so. Politics wasn't my thing but now it makes sense in a way cause I'm older but just because I have learned some things that makes more sense in the real world today...I still have much to learn as I get older as time goes on before it...goes off like a ticking time bomb then ka boom! No more star wars for me and everyone else :waa: :(

Best to worst.

Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
The Force Awakens
Return of the Jedi
Revenge of the Sith
Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. The Force Awakens
4. Return of the Jedi (Only reason this didn't get #3 is because Ewoks)
5. Star Wars: The Clone Wars (Because I loved the series, and the movie was the Pilot)
6. Attack of the Clones
7. Revenge of the Sith
8. The Phantom Menace

I rank ROTS above TFA mainly because of the heightened sense of drama, emotion and scale it had. Palpatine reveals himself and makes his move. The Jedi are massacred, Vader and Obi-Wan have that great duel and A New Hope's world is set up perfectly by the end.

Plus, the soundtrack was better, especially the Battle of the Heroes track.

TFA is good, but I honestly feel it's a rung underneath. I'm hoping Episode 8 increases the stakes and does away with another super weapon which is easily destroyed by the resistance.

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. The Force Awakens
3/4. A New Hope/Return of the Jedi
5. The Clone Wars

6. Revenge of the Sith

wait, they made more? :o

I want to see it a second time before I make any judgment, but I would probably rank TFA above at least 4 of the other films and potentially over ANH. Definitely not over Empire though.

Needless to say, it's still the first "true" Star Wars film in the past 32 years.

It's interesting to me that so many people rank AOTC about TPM. Because, to me, AOTC is a FAR inferior movie. I can at least sit down and watch TPM all the way through in one sitting. AOTC is too painfully awful, I can only watch it in fits and starts. And most of it is SO BORING!!

AOTC is more boring, but TPM is more painful IMO.

I sat down with a few friends last week to rewatch it and get a good laugh. We failed to enjoy it even from that perspective.

I don't think I can do this without rewatching all of them. Well, any excuse. ;)

best to worst-each reviewed in 5 to words!

8) Phantom Menace - okay, sloppy, rushed, bad acting, boring

7) Attack of clones- fun, dumb, messy, rushed, boring

6) Revenge of sith- Rushed, fun, exciting, intense, corny

5) Return of the Jedi- fun, tear-jerking, corny, exciting, iconic

4) A New Hope- Fun, original, exciting, corny, iconic

Joint below:
joint 2nd) Force Awakens and Rogue one- Amazing, spectacular, intense, iconic, tear-jerking

1) Empire Strikes Back- Amazing, best, brilliant, spectacular, iconic

Star Wars is my favourite franchise in film ever, then the MCU.:yay:

1. ESB
2. ROTJ
3. TFA
4. ANH
5. Clone Wars, Animated Series (Tartakovsky)
6. Clone Wars, CGI Series (Seasons 4, 5, and 6 ONLY)
7. Star Wars Rebels (Season 2 and 3)
8. Rogue One
9. Everything else

A New Hope
Rogue One
Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
The Phantom Menace
The Force Awakens
Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the Clones

Yeah Grootser I am actually starting to think I might prefer TPM to TFA, granted its bad spots are worse than Abrams film but it was also the prequel that I think recaptured the atmosphere of the originals most successfully at points and generally felt fresher rather than the "bigger is better" tendency of what followed, makes sense I spose as Lucas probably had a buildup of ideas for it.

Honestly though I think the only ranking that really matters is the top 4 of the originals and Rogue One, none of the others are really close to the same level for me. Empire is definitely at the top for me still beyond that its tough, A New Hope for shear entertainment and vision, Rogue One for effective drama and arguably the best visuals of the series and Jedi that despite its weak spots on Endor has arguably the best scenes of the series(especially the Luke/Vader/Emperor stuff).

Last edited:
There are days that I flip-flop back and forth on which one I like better, but I have to put TPM slightly higher than TFA. I admit that TFA is probably a more solid movie on a technical level, but if I were trapped in a room with a DVD player and only had one of those movies to watch for the rest of my life, I'd pick TPM. Maybe it's just nostalgia talking, but I sort of feel like TPM has a bit more substance buried in it to justify more rewatches.

What TPM has going for it most I'd say is building a very effective atmosphere at points, it does feel like a world on the scale of the original films with some interesting locations. Theres also the duel of the fates of course and Neson giving probably the best performance of the prequels. Theres a lot wrong with the film as has been pointed out many times down the eyars but I do find I can go back and enjoy that stuff, albeit not very often.

TFA was probably more fun on first viewing but honestly I find it a really hard slog rewatching it now, just feels like such an empty film.

What TPM has going for it most I'd say is building a very effective atmosphere at points, it does feel like a world on the scale of the original films with some interesting locations. Theres also the duel of the fates of course and Neson giving probably the best performance of the prequels. Theres a lot wrong with the film as has been pointed out many times down the eyars but I do find I can go back and enjoy that stuff, albeit not very often.

TFA was probably more fun on first viewing but honestly I find it a really hard slog rewatching it now, just feels like such an empty film.

Yeah, that sums up pretty much how I feel about TFA. It has problems, but the good parts really shine.

I feel like TFA (along with a lot of other modern blockbusters) was made to provide an exciting first-time viewing, but doesn't hold up very well on rewatches. I guess maybe Hollywood is learning that movies don't have to be loved in the long run to make a billion dollars. My favorite thing about TFA was simply the memory of the experience of seeing it for the first time.

Yeah, that sums up pretty much how I feel about TFA. It has problems, but the good parts really shine.

I feel like TFA (along with a lot of other modern blockbusters) was made to provide an exciting first-time viewing, but doesn't hold up very well on rewatches. I guess maybe Hollywood is learning that movies don't have to be loved in the long run to make a billion dollars. My favorite thing about TFA was simply the memory of the experience of seeing it for the first time.

Linked to that as well I tend to find people set there opinion in stone much more often these days, perhaps due to writing it down on the net and being less willing to step down from it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"