Rank the Superman movies (including MOS)

Films:

Man of Steel
Superman II
Superman Returns
Superman: The Movie
Superman IV
Superman III

As purely Superman:

Cavill
Reeve
Routh
Cain

As Clark Kent:

Welling
Cavill
Cain
Reeve
Routh

Villains:

Rosenbaum's Luthor
Shannon's Zod
Marsters' Braniac
Spacey's Luthor
Stamp's Zod
Hackman's Luthor

Ranking Superman actors:

Reeve is first.
Cavill is a distant second.

Routh is a very, very distant third.

1. Man of Steel
2. Superman the Movie

The rest

Man Of Steel
Superman: The Movie
Superman II/Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut

All of them are in my top 10 CBMs of all time list. The rest....yeah.

Superman the Movie
Superman II
MOS/Superman Returns
Superman III
Quest for Peace

I have only seen the first one, Superman Returns and Man Of Steel. Out of those Man Of Steel would be the best and of course, Superman Returns is the worst

Man of Steel

that's it. Haven't seen the others unless you count the last five minutes of SR that I caught on TV sometime ago.

Superman the Movie/Superman II (Lester version)
MOS

Returns

Actors:

Cavill
Reeve
Routh

I have to admit my judgment of the actors is largely superficial. Cavill, Reeve, and Routh all looked like Superman to me, perfect and extremely handsome in different ways. I can't even count Cain and Welling because I thought they looked nothing like Superman and didn't think they were good looking either. So even if they were the best actors in the world, which they are not, they would never be Superman to me. I'm really glad it's the movie Supermans that are fantastic vs the TV ones. It would really suck if it was the other way around. In fact one of the biggest reasons I want a MOS sequel despite MOS's often infuriating flaws is so I can see Cavill as Superman again. If it had been another actor who looked nothing like Superman then I would rather them start over or recast because I would have zero interest in seeing someone who does not look like Superman keep playing Superman.

i can't choose.

i think STM and MOS are both epic on their own way.

1. Man Of Steel (8.5/10)
2. Superman: The Movie (7/10)
3. Superman II (6/10)
4. Superman III (4/10)
5. Superman IV (3/10)
6. Superman Returns (2/10)

If you want to know the reason I rank Superman III & IV above Returns, it's because Reeve even in those pretty poor movies still delivered the great Superman we knew and loved. Routh was uncharismatic, had absolutely no screen presence and was just a passenger in Returns. Bosworth was a cold-hearted Lois and Spacey was laughable as Lex. It's essentially a rehash of Superman: The Movie, a very poor imitation. As for STM, it loses a lot of marks for me with the brainless turning back time sequence. Man Of Steel the clear winner for me. We see the development of this beloved character and the real struggles he faces with finding acceptance and his place in the world. Great action, emotion and we get a Superman building up to the grown up version of the character.

Last edited:
1. Man Of Steel
2. Superman: The Movie
3. Superman II - The Donner Cut
4. Superman II - Lester Cut
5. Superman III
6. Superman Returns
7. Superman IV

If we were including the solo animated films:

1. Man Of Steel
2. Superman: The Last Son of Krypton (Superman TAS)
3. Superman: The Movie
4. Superman vs the Elite
5. All Star Superman
6. Superman II - The Donner Cut
7. Superman Unbound
8. Superman II - Lester Cut
9. Superman Doomsday
10. Superman III
11. Superman Returns
12. Superman IV

*Superman: The Movie

*Superman II

*Man Of Steel/Superman Returns

*Superman IV

*Superman III

From the ones I have watched:
MoS

S:TM

S ll
Superman Returns

And to the people saying MOS is leading because of hype, people also said TDKR was beating BB in the Batboard polls due to hype as well. A year later the updated poll produced the same result.

Last edited:
1. Man of Steel
2. Superman
3. Superman 2
4. Superman 3
5. Superman Returns
6. Superman IV: The Quest for a Piece of Sh**

1. S:TM (9/10)
2. MoS (8.5/10)

distant 3rd . SR/S2 (6/10)
4. S3 (5/10)

Quest for Peace .. i deny it's existence .. was a hoax (minus 10000000/10)

Haha, have you seen the Honest Trailer for Superman IV? It's hilarious. The movie is even worse than you remember!

Haha, have you seen the Honest Trailer for Superman IV? It's hilarious. The movie is even worse than you remember!

like i said, i deny its existence .. Quest for Peace ? dunno what u're talkin' about 'ol chap :woot:

Man Of Steel - 5/5
Superman II - 5/5
Superman The Movie - 4.5/5
Supeman Returns - 3/5
Superman III - 2/5
Superman IV - 2/5

Doesn't necessarily mean the films are perfect if i give them 5/5.

It often takes a while before the glitter and glamour of something new wears off and people can see things for what they are. Frankly, I was highly disappointed by Man of Steel due to its massive overemphasis on action and visual effects at the expense of character and story development. It was also so nonlinear it almost felt like a Tarantino flick! Snyder is a great director, but I think Watchmen and the Dawn of the Dead remake were both superior films.

Best to worst:

Superman: The Movie - Though somewhat dated, it's still the best.
Superman II: Donner Cut - More realistic, more fitting continuation of I.
Superman II - Effective combination of story, characterization, and action.
Superman Returns - Underrated sequel that recaptures the feel of I & II.
Man of Steel - Spectacular visuals and good acting; darkest in the series.
Superman III - Silly, slapstick junk with too few appearances by Supes.
Superman IV - It has a message...and that's it!

My turn

okay, Superman the Movie = Man of Steel. both of these are among my favourite films. Reeve was charming and fun as Superman, Cavill is much
more serious and thoughtful.
However, I think they are reflections of the times in which they were made.

Bits of Superman the movie like this.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCLi3_-iXHk

still make me smile.

But I loved MOS. Especially bits like this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8wmvjNf9FQ

because that's what a Superman fight scene SHOULD look like IMO.
Snyder got the action 100% right, and I vastly preferred Amy Adams' Lois
to Margot Kidder's.

I walked out of MOS feeling just as good as I did walking out of Superman the Movie, as an 8 year old. For that reason, they rank equal first.

the other films

2= Superman II, man if only Donner had had today's special effects, this would be the best Superman movie of all time,,,,although I preferred MOS' version of the Kryptonian villains, they were actually much more menacing.

3= Superman III, a failed attempt to make a Superhero/comedy. I was always waiting for it to get good.....and it didn't. It had delusions of mediocrity, and failed to achieve them. Sigh.

4= The Quest for Peace, an amazing premise absolutely ruined by terrible special effects (diminished budget) and awful acting (except Reeve). A garbage film, but still a better movie than Superman Returns.

5= Superman Returns, I ****ing hated this movie, among my many reasons was that Superman is never, never, never going to be stupid enough to land on an island made of the one thing in the universe that can guaranteed kill him, and was created by his arch-enemy, who knows about this stuff, and has actually used it against him (in fact, the ONLY enemy who has used it against him in the films). **** you Bryan Singer, you made Superman lame !

Kind of amazing that Superman is still alive and well in cinema, given that he's got nearly as many crap films as good ones. Just shows you how strong a cultural icon Superman is.

:super:

Best to worst:

Superman II (8/10, maybe 7/10) - The Kryptonians made for good adversaries, the action worked, Hackman's Luthor was better in this sort of conniving side character role than he had been as the lead villain, and I liked the "human" drama that came with Clark wanting to live a normal life.

Man of Steel (7/10) - I didn't care for the choppy editing early on (which was probably because the movie had more to cover than it had time for), but I found the second half exciting and compelling. I liked Clark and Lois, Michael Shannon as Zod was underwhelming but Faora was pretty cool, the movie looked good...it held its own against II.

Superman 3 (6/10) - It was pretty borderline, and then it lost me at the very end.

Superman Returns (6/10, maybe 5/10) - You can't be a sequel and a remake at the same time, it doesn't make any sense. Plus its just kind of flat and kind of dour, and it falls into the same trap as the original of not giving Superman enough in the way of compelling battles.

Superman 4 (3/10, maybe 4/10) - It's really dumb, but at least it had a supervillain for him to fight. That just seems like basic superhero expectations, like maybe this is going to suck, but at least the hero is going to fight something that's hard for him to fight.

Superman: The Movie (2/10) - Boring and filled with plot holes (which I might not have noticed quite so much if it weren't so boring). Lois and Superman were supposed to be charming together in this one, but I found them gross.

So far, 2 for 6.

1. Man of Steel
2. Superman returns
3. Superman IV
4. Superman III
5. Superman II
6. Superman the movie

Man of Steel is the most complete of them all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"