Ranking the Indiana Jones Series

TheDevilIsMe

Civilian
Reaction score
Indy is one of those rare franchises where every film was very well received from audiences and critics alike - so it's quite different from other franchises in that aspect. Sure, 'Temple' and 'Kingdom' get some flack online sometimes, but they were still big hits and critical/audience successes (Temple gained critical thumbs up over time).

1981's 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' remains the acclaimed series piece - earning an Academy Award Nomination for 'Best Picture' and is often cited as one of the all time great films ever made. 'Last Crusade', which opened to mixed to positive reviews from critics/audiences in 1989, but over time it's gotten even more good praise and is often featured in the Top 2 with rankings. 'Kingdom of the Crystal Skull' was the long awaited sequel and a welcome return for Indy, opening to very positive reviews from critics and audiences overall and became the biggest worldwide hit of 2008 and often marks third best in the series, and 1984's 'Temple of Doom' opened to mixed reviews and was quite controversial at the time - but is now seen as yet another good part of the franchise despite its shift from the other three films.

Each film is based on a part of film/comic styles;

Raiders Of the Lost Ark - Based on 1930s Action/Adventure Serials
Temple Of Doom - Based on 1940s Pulp Horror Comics
Last Crusade - Based on 1930s Blockbuster Type
Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - Based on 1950s Pulp Comics/B Films

I was lucky enough to see them all on the big screen last September in a row when AMC had the Marathons in every one of their theaters in the US in light of the Blu-Ray release. If anyone can go to a film Marathon of any series - go. It's alot of fun.

So, here's my preference;

1.) Raiders Of the Lost Ark
2.) Kingdom Of the Crystal Skull
3.) Last Crusade
4.) Temple Of Doom

:up:

Last edited:
According to my brain:

1.) Raiders of the Lost Ark
2.) Last Crusade
3.) Temple of Doom
4.) Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

According to my heart:

1.) Last Crusade
2.) Raiders of the Lost Ark
3.) Temple of Doom
4.) Last Crusade

1.) Temple of Doom
2.)Raiders of the Lost Ark
3.) Last Crusade
4.) Crystal Skull

Raiders is unquestionably the first. One of the best genre movies ever made. The others go:

The Last Crusade
Temple of Doom
Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls

People will mock, but I think I'd have to rank Temple of Doom first. Annoying chick aside, I love that ****.

:o:up:

People will mock, but I think I'd have to rank Temple of Doom first.

:pal:
LOSERRRRRRRRR!

I'm kidding, buddy. Everyone's got a preference, they're all good films so anyone can have any order. I've seen every order imaginable on IMDB or other places. Usually it's 1/3/4/2 - but occasionally someone will do 2/4/1/3 or sometimes 4/1/2/3 - you just never know. Everyone likes different ones more for different reasons.

Seeing 'Temple' on the big screen again in 2012 made me love it again, I will say that. But Willie Scott's screaming in Dolby Digital Surround Sound in a giant theater was far from enjoyable, I'll say that.

Raiders of the Lost Ark
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

1. Raiders
2. Last Crusade
3. Kingdom

-----

4. Temple of Doom

As annoying as Jar Jar Binks was/is, he doesn't hold a candle to Kate Capshaw.

People will mock, but I think I'd have to rank Temple of Doom first. Annoying chick aside, I love that ****.

:o:up:
No mocking here. I dig Temple of Doom. Some really good moments in there - the mine cart chase, rope bridge scene, etc. Lots of disgusting bugs and death traps. I just prefer the other two. As far as I am concerned KOTCS doesn't even come into the equation.

I was lucky enough to stop by the National Geographic Indiana Jones Exhibit in L.A. this November. I was driving up to Seattle from San Diego and it was right next to the hotel I was staying at in L.A. - what're the chances? Got dinner, walked about 200ft and explored the exhibit - was better than sitting in the room for the night. I had no idea the exhibit even existed.

So many props - all four films had their own section. 'Raiders' and 'Kingdom' had the largest amount of props.

Willie Scott's dress was stunning in person. The Crystal Skeleton on the Throne was absolutely huge and beautifully made - everyone got their photo in front of that thing.

If anyone is in the L.A. area - check it out if you can. It's well worth it.

No mocking here. I dig Temple of Doom. Some really good moments in there - the mine cart chase, rope bridge scene, etc. Lots of disgusting bugs and death traps. I just prefer the other two. As far as I am concerned KOTCS doesn't even come into the equation.

Yeah, as I said; 'Temple' is one of the Indy films that gets some flack online - but it's still a great film in its own right. It was a diversion and the next two films followed a formula that further alienates it, but it's still a fun film and has some great moments. Not a proper follow up to a Best Picture nominee - but still good. 'Kingdom' may not come into the equation for you - but it's my second pick. It's pulpy, fun, action packed and a hybrid of the first three. Love the setting and lore of the film too. 'Temple' and 'Kingdom' were gutsy in being different with their plots and it worked. They may get some flack on forums but they're still great and general audiences and fans love them as part of the series even though they may not be thought of as good as the first and third.

Last edited:

Temple of Doom is probably be my favorite action film. It gets so much **** but I love the heart pumping adventure, the really out there, megalomaniac villain, and I even love Short Round and I feel that he really humanized Indy a lot.

Most importantly, I love that the film actually deals with the darker part of Indy's character; he takes religious artifacts and often kills people to do it for his version of fortune and glory and by the end of the film I really felt that he had grown as a character when he relinquished the Sankara stones.

Depending on my mood it even edges out Raiders for me.

Temple of Doom is probably be my favorite action film. It gets so much **** but I love the heart pumping adventure, the really out there, megalomaniac villain, and I even love Short Round and I feel that he really humanized Indy a lot.

Most importantly, I love that the film actually deals with the darker part of Indy's character; he takes religious artifacts and often kills people to do it for his version of fortune and glory and by the end of the film I really felt that he had grown as a character when he relinquished the Sankara stones.

Depending on my mood it even edges out Raiders for me.
Good points. And it also has that gross dinner scene which is always a winner. :woot:

Only to turn against that yet again in pursuit of the Ark one year later.
:oldrazz:

Indy always has subtle character arcs that some don't notice.

You've covered 'Temple's arc - so I'll cover the others;

-'Raiders' - The only arc I can find is that he goes from being seriously reckless in pursuit of a relic but then valuing the life of Marion above all else - even failing. In this film he was a little more simple - not a fault at all, though. He also goes from a skeptic to realizing that he is cautious of the supernatural.

-'Crusade' - Indy goes from being estranged from his father and only focusing about the final prize in the end, to reconciling his father and past issues whilst learning that it's more about the experience than what you physically take home. "Illumination."

-'Kingdom' - At the time, Indy has lost two of the most stable pillars in his life, his father and Brody. Labelled a communist, losing his job and being forced to leave the country - he has nothing and nobody. By the end of the film - he finally has a family, has likely cleared his name and a restored occupation.

And in between 'Crusade' and 'Kingdom' he's become more appreciative of field work rather than being an archaeologist of studying.

He goes from "90 percent of all archaeology is done in the library, with research and reading." - to encouraging his students "If you want to be a good archaeologist, you've got to get out of the library."

Last edited:
The Last Crusade
The Temple of Doom
Raiders
Skull

Only to turn against that yet again in pursuit of the Ark one year later.
:oldrazz:

Indy always has subtle character arcs that some don't notice.

You've covered 'Temple's arc - so I'll cover the others;

-'Raiders' - The only arc I can find is that he goes from being seriously reckless in pursuit of a relic but then valuing the life of Marion above all else - even failing. In this film he was a little more simple - not a fault at all, though. He also goes from a skeptic to realizing that he is cautious of the supernatural.

-'Crusade' - Indy goes from being estranged from his father and only focusing about the final prize in the end, to reconciling his father and past issues whilst learning that it's more about the experience than what you physically take home. "Illumination."

-'Kingdom' - At the time, Indy has lost two of the most stable pillars in his life, his father and Brody. Labelled a communist, losing his job and being forced to leave the country - he has nothing and nobody. By the end of the film - he finally has a family, has likely cleared his name and a restored occupation.

And in between 'Crusade' and 'Kingdom' he's become more appreciative of field work rather than being an archaeologist of studying.

He goes from "90 percent of all archaeology is done in the library, with research and reading." - to encouraging his students "If you want to be a good archaeologist, you've got to get out of the library."
:up: "Illumination"

1) Raiders of the Lost Ark- I remember seeing this in the theater in '81 and being amazed. This is one of the all time greats, like Star Wars or Jaws. An all time classic
2)Last Crusade-I'm a big Connery fan, and having James Bond being Indiana's father was a stroke of genius. The opening with River Phoenix doing a dead-on Harrison Ford impression is great. The dual affairs with Allison Doody is fun too.
3)Temple of Doom- loved it when it was released, still like it today. Think the action scenes are pretty cool and Kate is sexy. Like Short Round too. Good film.
4) Crystal Skull- a real disappointment. Feels like they're going through the motions. Cate is a sexy villain, but seems generic. Shila is annoying and I hope they don't continue with him. Overall a failure for me.
Still I love Indiana and 3 out of 4 ain't bad

raiders -10
Last Crusade -9
TOD -7.5
kingdom -5

Last edited:
1. Raiders of the Lost Ark - 9/10
2. The Last Crusade - 8/10
3. Temple of Doom - 7/10
4. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - 6/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back