Ranking the Indiana Jones Series

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by TheDevilIsMe, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Punisher Rising

Punisher Rising Mechanical Psychopath

He just seemed to be reduced to a comedy sidekick in TLC to me, and a silly one at that.

2. Jack Napier

Jack Napier Well-Known Member

Brody? How about Sallah??

In Raiders, Brody said if he was ten years younger, he'd have gone after the ark himself. Cut to LC, and he's a bumbling idiot.

But look at how well-spoken and resourceful Sallah is in Raiders and then in LC, he can barely speak English!

3. Punisher Rising

I hated what TLC did to Sallah as well. Sallah served no purpose at all in TLC other than being a fan service and being used for silly comedy bits.

4. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Well-Known Member

I've loved the Indy series since the first time I saw a picture book adaptation of Raiders of the Lost Ark at my grandparents' home as a child. When it comes to ranking the films, I have to go with the following order:
    Temple of Doom (I love this movie for its darker themes and the comedic and totally natural interactions between Indy and Short Round, who to this day remains my favorite Indiana Jones sidekick character; Kate Capshaw's Willie is also a highlight for me even though she does get admittedly annoying at times)

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (For all of the flak that this movie seems to get, I fell in love with it the first time I saw it, and love the story and characters. It was great to see Karen Allen's Marion re-enter Indy's life, and I also really liked Shia's performance as Mutt. Cate Blanchett is also great in her role as the movie's villain)

The Last Crusade (If it weren't for the awesomeness of Crystal Skull's story, this would be my second-favorite film in the franchise; it's an even bigger thrill-ride than its immediate in-universe chronological predecessor - Raiders - and the addition of Sean Connery as Henry Sr. was inspired. Elsa and Donovan aren't quite as memorable as villains like Belloq, Molah Ram, and Cate Blanchett's character, but they're perfect for the story being told; it's also great to see different sides to Brody and Sallah's characters)

Raiders of the Lost Ark (There's only one reason this movie's ranked last: one of the films has to be; it was my introduction to the world of Indiana Jones -although I was alive when both Temple and Crusade were first released - and remains a great film in my mind even though its quality was surpassed by its sequels)

5. Human Torch

Human Torch Well-Known Member

I get a kick out of that line in retrospect.Brody says "Five years ago I'd have gone after it myself." and Indy just lets it go,knowing the guy can't get out of his own way.:funny:

I liked Sallah in TLC."That car belonged to my brother in law!":funny:
    I wish they would've had him break into song one more time.Just for old timesake. "Aaaaah British tar is a soaring soul,as free as a mountain biiiiiird!":hehe:

6. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

♪♫ I am the monarch of the sea... ♪♫

7. Spuzz

Spuzz The Spuzziest of Spuzzes

1) Raiders/Last Crusade tie
    2) Temple of Doom

Shame they only made 3 Indy films. ;)

8. Pondslider

Pondslider Well-Known Member

Raiders
    Temple
    Last Crusade
    Crystal Skull

I probably liked Last Crusade more than Temple when I was younger, but as I've gotten older I've had some of the same criticisms of Last Crusade that others have had here: the way it treats some of the secondary characters, the macguffin sort of being a rehash of Raiders (biblical artifact in the desert with nazis). It's a good movie, but it tries to reach the heights of Raiders and misses and now I'd rather watch Temple of Doom which tries to be its own thing.

9. kedrell

kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

Technically ToD is a prequel to Raiders.

10. Punisher Rising

The only thing I'd really change about TOD is make it a direct sequel to Raiders. If anything I feel just because the pacing is so much faster that the more steady and subdued pace of Raiders makes it a little hard to sit through after seeing TOD first with how lightning quick TOD moves.

11. echostation

echostation Well-Known Member

Raiders, Last Crusade, Temple and Krystal Red Skull.

You guys haven't read the draft of the aborted plans for the original 4th film back in 04-05 which was the Opal of the Merman Prince... wow that had some absolutely killer ideas. Still a mess of a script but it was a draft, definitely with one or more rewrites it would have been far far more interesting than what we got as a sad lousy 4th Indy film.

12. Punisher Rising

Never heard of that I think, I'd definitely like to read it.

13. Thundarr

Thundarr Well-Known Member

How do you figure that?

14. OutRiddled

OutRiddled Well-Known Member

Last Crusade - I like the Holy Grail story, hot femme fatale, Sean Connery, the action scenes with the tanks and the fighter planes, great Nazi bad guys, the beginning with Young Indiana.. just like it much better than Raiders, so sue me.

Raiders of the Lost Ark
    - good movie lol

Temple of Doom - I enjoy this one but the little kid and that screeching woman gets on my nerves a bit.

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
    - **** this ****.. I refuse to even watch this.. because I ****ing hate Shia LaBuff or whatever his name is.

15. CGHulk

CGHulk Well-Known Member

At the beginning of The Temple of Doom it says "Shanghai, 1935." At the beginning of Raiders of the Lost Ark it says "South America 1936"

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  16. Infinity9999x

Infinity9999x Well-Known Member

Yep. The only issue I have with making TOD a prequel is that it doesn't really add up with Indy's arc in ROTLA. He starts out not believing in the religious/mythical, when clearly at the end of TOD he comes to believe in those things, as stated at the end of the film.

17. Whiskey Tango

Yeah I always wondered how they missed that. They should have just set Temple a year after Raiders.

18. Punisher Rising

I always felt it was easily explainable that Indy never mentioned what he saw in TOD because he felt nobody at the university would believe him and his credibility would be destroyed, so he kept quiet about it.

19. The Navigator

The Navigator Well-Known Member

But he, personally, does not believe in the supernatural at the beginning of Raiders. Even when the much more cautious Marcus is warning him about the Ark in the privacy of his own home, Indy laughs it off.

20. Punisher Rising

He could've just been faking it as to not risk ruining his credentials and possibly lose his teaching license.

21. Thundarr

Thundarr Well-Known Member

Ah! I don't think I'd ever noticed that before. Though, TBH, it has been a long time since I've seen any of the Indiana Jones movies. Except for Crystal Skull, that one got played on TV a lot last winter.

22. Punisher Rising

I watched the whole saga in chronological order once before, though I prefer watching them in release order, with TOD being so much faster-paced than the rest I find Raiders can be a little hard to sit through with it's more subdued pacing after watching TOD first.

23. Whiskey Tango

This is going straight into fanwanky explanation territory. We can explain away nearly anything but in the end the filmmakers either A) missed a huge detail, or B) decided to just ignore it outright. Either way we're left with something unsatisfactory.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  24. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Well-Known Member

I've personally never noticed anything in Raiders that indicates that Indy's skeptical of the Ark having mystical powers or that would otherwise conflict with what he experienced in India a year earlier.

25. Whiskey Tango

It's clear as day. How do you miss that?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013