Rate and Review Black Widow!

Reaction score
Apparently advanced movie screenings started a few days ago in some parts of the world. So I'm starting this review thread, just in case, some of you have already seen the 24th MCU fliX.

Put the spoilers in spoiler tags.

Yes. I’m going to wait for my second viewing in a couple days before I rate it. Some things I liked and some choices I didn’t.

Yeah think I'm seeing it a second time with my best friend tomorrow evening so I'm gonna wait until then and let it sink in a little more before I really try and rate/rank it.

I think the only thing really holding it back from being in the upper echelon of the MCU is the villain.

I’m going to give my synopsis without spoilers just until everyone has seen it.

8.9/10
I just got back from watching the film and it should've been released before Infinity War and Endgame. Natasha should've had the honor of having the first female lead MCU film before Captain Marvel. But in terms of the film itself. I enjoyed it. Scarlet Johansson did a great job especially since this is probably her last performance as Natasha in the MCU, so her performance was great as a swan song to a character she’s portrayed over an entire decade . Florence Pugh was amazing and a big highlight of the film, I can't wait to see more of her in the future of the MCU she was a scene stealing performer in every scene she was in and going forward I see great potential in the Crimson Widow. David Harbour also did a great performance as Red Guardian. I hope we get to see more of him. But I was really disappointed about Taskmaster, I was excited to see his debut in the MCU but was ultimately underused and felt like a soulless tool. I would have liked to have had a bit more content of Natasha’s history with Clint Barton and what happened in Budapest that she ultimately broke free from the Red Room and gave herself up and joined S.H.E.I.L.D. There a payoff in the film, but not exactly to my personal satisfaction . The role of Rachel Weisz as Melena (Iron Maiden) was underutilized, she served a purpose but it could have been so much more. The main villain that is played by Ray Winstone was purposely over the top Bond villain and it’s clear that was intended. The inspiration behind this film is clear, take a bit from James Bond (Classic era) mix with a dash of Bourne Identity and for the climax action sequences pour out Missions Impossible with the MCU formula and you have yourself a Black Widow film.

There’s seeds of potential plots to be explored further in the MCU in a future date if they choose to and ultimately the legacy of Black Widow is forever cemented .

I love the movie and for me it's definitely the best female led superhero movie thus far, it was a great movie imo. I absolutely loved the cast and natasha was great, I think anyone complaining that the movie.

Feels unnecessary and is step back, will feel differently with some time removed from the flim. And as time goes on the movie will become more appreciate it.

It was good at the moment I say 7.75 for me. If this took place in phase 2 I may say 8.5 but we already know what happens with the characters. Though it can be viewed as the jump off for Yelena who really shined in this and Florence is going to be great in the MCU.

I feel like Marvel will just leave the Budapest Clint/Nat meet up to the imagination. It is something I have wanted to see when they mentioned it in A1. They continue to talk about events from that encounter in this too. It is a shame we will never see it because after A1 would have been the time and it would have been the Black Widow movie, they could have still done this but as a sequel. All of Black Widow movies could have been chronicles of past events.

Have my 2nd showing this weekend, I can say the movie didn't have any slow dull moments.

just went to the theater for the first time since spiderman: far from home to see black widow.

i went in with no expectations and haven't watched any new trailers or any videos about it at all.

i was pleasantly surprised. it's not a top tier mcu movie but it's good.

the action was very very good - much better than alot of marvel offerings. the fight scenes/choreography gave legit winter soldier vibes. as did the music. definitely watch this in a theater with a great sounds system.

david harbor was great as the red gaurdian. and florence pugh was very good as yelena bulova.

this was a nice opportunity for scarjo.

it's a total stand alone movie. if there's anything within the movie for future mcu movies, i didn't catch it. there were some small breadcrumbs but i don't think it will lead to anything.

but there is an end credit scene that will tie into future mcu offerings.

i would give this a 7.5/10.

Pros
+ Scarlett Johansson doing her best!
+ Florence Pugh balance her funny and dramatic parts very well
+ Rachel Weisz doing great here as well and like her biological/chemical expertise

+ For me, some unexpected twist happenend
+ A very strong opening title montage
+ A very entertaining 2nd act, 3rd act was good as well with some game changers
+ Flashbacks
+ The after credit scene made me finally hype for an upcoming shoe/movie
+ Family Dinner scene!
+ Some decent connections that makes you enjoy Infinity War more

Cons
- Music by Lorne as OST is kind of forgetable sadly
- 1st act is very slow and rushed in the same time with so many country changes
- You can delete Taskmaster of this movie and nothing will change, Taskmaster is really wasted
-
Mind Control... Again?
- Red Guardian is too silly here and then for me
- Some missed opportunites in cameos
Let Hawkeye appear actually in the flashback, we just hear him. It would be so cool if we see at least one other Avenger in this. I thaught there were a deleted scene in Civil War they want used in original?
-
The whole "I had nothing just this task"-plot from Natascha in Endgame is more weak now (even a plothole) since she refering she has two families in the end of the movie
- Action scenes are not so intensive because so many cuts and shaky cam

Really enjoyed this flick! Solid 8 for me.

Rat Winstone creeped me the hell out as the villain. And I called the Taskmaster thing a little too easily after a certain flashback but ...

Acting: great
Action: great
Humor: worked really well in this movie
Put Red Guardian in everything also

I'd like to point out that the score is amazing as well.

Can't wait for ...are we spoiling in here?

The follow-up to the after credits.

Solid 8 out of 10.

Some minor quibbles with the story and pacing, I think things moved a bit too fast and there were some opportunities to really sit with some emotional moments and story beats that they breezed over, but overall they did it again.

Highly recommend, and I do recommend seeing it in a theater with a crowd.

⧖ out of 10

The family was great. The villains not so much. I enjoyed watching this spy fliX!

Surprisingly better than what I was expecting! 8.5/10 Loved Natasha as always but Yelena is the breakout star! Liked the action scenes but loved the family scenes even more.

Gave it a 6

Action scenes were good but the marvel undercutting dramatic scenes with humor was a lil too much for me here especially when they first meet up with Harbour character on the plane to gloss over that was just bad

And Taskmaster oh man what a waste might as well gave not used him I may have like it better if it came out after Civil War but the plot armor was on full display here what a waste

Just finished it. A 7/10 for me. The opening was great, but kinda a bit slow in the middle and the final act was just okay. I don’t feel anyone particular stands out either. It was fine but not spectacular. Also too much Avenger reference it’s more like a clutch than an enhancement, it just assumes everyone will get the references.

Just finished it. A 7/10 for me. The opening was great, but kinda a bit slow in the middle and the final act was just okay. I don’t feel anyone particular stands out either. It was fine but not spectacular. Also too much Avenger reference it’s more like a clutch than an enhancements, it just assumes everyone will get the references.
A natural assumption, since the last Avengers film made over 2 Billion dollars!

My partner who was really into Loki, was so disinterested because he probably couldn’t connect, and managed only to finish like half of the movie (I paid PA) and retired back to his room.

Maybe it's the tough week in work and I haven't unwound yet, but I turned off after 30 mins. I plan to come back to it but so far I just wasn't feeling it. The pacing seems off.

I quite enjoyed this.

Pretty brutal action sequences which I thought was a nice departure from regular MCU-fare.

I actually found the villains to be rather menacing—not sure why they’re getting negative reviews. Though I had my suspicions about Taskmaster’s identity going into the film those turned out to be wrong but it did seem rather obvious which direction the twist was going in once the movie kicked into gear. I didn’t mind the creative choices the filmmakers made here though.

Loved the prologue and opening credits—felt like right off-the-bat you could tell this was going to be a good one.

I do agree with some posters however in that I do think this would have had stronger appeal had it been released prior to Infinity War, but what’s done is done. I really do enjoy ScarJo in these films so I’m wondering if she truly is done with the character and the MCU. Maybe the Red Room had a secret cloning facility lol…

Great movie and kudos to the cast and director. Will definitely be watching again soon.

I quite enjoyed this.

Pretty brutal action sequences which I thought was a nice departure from regular MCU-fare.

I actually found the villains to be rather menacing—not sure why they’re getting negative reviews. Though I had my suspicions about Taskmaster’s identity going into the film those turned out to be wrong but it did seem rather obvious which direction the twist was going in once the movie kicked into gear. I didn’t mind the creative choices the filmmakers made here though.

Loved the prologue and opening credits—felt like right off-the-bat you could tell this was going to be a good one.

I do agree with some posters however in that I do think this would have had stronger appeal had it been released prior to Infinity War, but what’s done is done. I really do enjoy ScarJo in these films so I’m wondering if she truly is done with the character and the MCU. Maybe the Red Room had a secret cloning facility lol…

Great movie and kudos to the cast and director. Will definitely be watching again soon.

i hope her story is done - and i think it is. this was a great sendoff for her character. she came to peace with herself and all the red in her ledger. this makes her choice to die in end game all the more fitting.

and we now have yelena so the black widow legacy will continue.

This is probably the most different MCU movie to date. The first 1/3rd of the movie dispenses completely from the self deprecating humor of the MCU, it feels something more akin to the Bourne Identity than an MCU. By the time we get to the action sequences and reintroducing Natasha's family it then morphs into a more traditional MCU movie and there is some great humor in here, but I really appreciated the sheer brutality. I don't have any real complaints here, it's not a super epic MCU film but it probably ranks well in the 2nd tier of MCU films.

I'm not sure if this was Johannsen's last time in the role but if it was it was a worthy send off. I hope this is a good kick in the pants to the 2021 box office. For a movie delayed 14 months in a post COVID world we could all use a good distraction like this. I know in some parts of the world things are still struggling a bit, but after a year of living in seclusion it feels nice to have a moment of escape like this.

Any way a solid 8/10 for me.

It was ok. The editing for the action scenes were horrible. Too many quick jump cuts. Taskmaster was completely wasted. Was hoping he’d get a cool intro like Winter Soldier and just be this silent stalking force but he was basically Darth Maul.

Not the worst MCU movie but definitely mid range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"