Eternals Rate and Review the Eternals

Reaction score
Movie premiere today. Embargo ends on Sunday.

Spoilers in a spoiler tag.

Here are my general thoughts. IMHO, it's weakest MCU movie I've ever seen. And just to put things in perspective, considering how long this franchise has been around and how many movies there have been, that's not so bad. That said, I found it largely joyless and uninspired.

The movie was a misfire. Overall, I found it to be very tepid, lifeless and un-engaging.

PROS:

* Some interesting sci-fi visuals and concepts.
* Jack Kirby influences and flourishes.
* As a Marvel film it's very standalone. It doesn't rely on all the other films to understand what's going on.
* Kumail Nanjiani is great and the best part of the movie.

CONS:

* The characters are largely lacking in warmth and charm.
* Sersi and Ikaris have no chemistry at all.
* Kingo was badly utilized.
* Deviants are badly utilized and are a total afterthought.
* Reveals too much too early, trouble with exposition dumps.
* Angelina Jolie was awful in this movie. I couldn't fathom what her character was doing at all. I couldn't tell if she was trying to make her character sound British or Greek.
* The historical scenes are kind of boring.
* Badly lit action. There's one action scene in the Amazon that's just really hazy, dim and overcast with blue. It looks bad and it hurt my eyes watching it on IMAX.

What didn’t you like about it?

I couldn’t take the beginning seriously with Arishem creating the whole universe, but losing control of the deviants so quickly. Then they try so hard to explain why The Eternals never saved the world before that it actually makes it a bigger deal than if they just ignored it. The Hiroshima thing was just tasteless and tacky. The characters were flat. Overall, it was very gloom, but the stakes felt minuscule compared to Endgame, so the tone didn’t work. It felt like they really wanted this to be the big movie where they show MCU films can have substance and instead just made a overly serious face plant of the movie. Zhao’s style is no where to be found. Instead it’s just your typical MCU film except with an overly-self serious tone and a bloated runtime. It feels like maybe Feige let Zhao make the movie she wanted to make, it scared them and so they neutered in the editing which is why it’s so uncharacteristically dull.

Damn... I don't give a crap what professional movie critics think if I'm honest. I rely on the people here who know and appreciate this stuff, so if you guys ain't feeling this then I definitely have my reservations now.

I will go and see it because I want to support cinemas at this time, but I am not at all hyped.

I think right now just eXpect a bad or meh movie so you won't be disappointed. There's plenty of movies in Rt that scored in the 50s that I liked.

It feels like maybe Feige let Zhao make the movie she wanted to make, it scared them and so they neutered in the editing which is why it’s so uncharacteristically dull.

Imo, Nomadland shows dull IS her style
I fell asleep like 10 minutes into it lol

I dont think they neutered it, I just think she may not be a great fit for the genre

I dont think they neutered it, I just think she may not be a great fit for the genre
That's what I'm thinking as well. Nothing in the the marketing for this film has spoken to me as an MCU fan. As much as people raved about the scenery, I just don't get the love of all the barren desert shots and some pretty generic looking action shots.

That's what I'm thinking as well. Nothing in the the marketing for this film has spoken to me as an MCU fan. As much as people raved about the scenery, I just don't get the love of all the barren desert shots and some pretty generic looking action shots.
That was my issue with the trailers, especially as this touted so much as keeping in spirit with Jack Kirby’s work more than any other Marvel film. When you read the original Eternals run by the king of comics the scenery is so imaginative and fantastical. This… just looked real bland compared to that.

I think the trailers showcased some excellent camera work, but I do think it is worth noting that even bad reviews for this film praise the cinematography and such (though they do say it has some spotty CG, but that isn't new for Marvel films).

After the critical reception of this, I don't want Marvel Studios to give her a 2nd chance.

As for Nomadland, like most Oscar nominated films - that didn't interest me.

I don't see how they bring her back for a sequel now.
For me, the only good news about this critically failing, is this didn't happen with the reboot of the Fantastic Four and the X-Men. Those two already got a handful of bad movies.

This should really give new notes/lessons to Marvel Studios moving forward. They were doing so well with the critiXs since 2014, and this might be their new worst reviewed film.I can't believe the most recent Oscar winning director is breaking their streak.

After the critical reception of this, I don't want Marvel Studios to give her a 2nd chance.

Yes, let's fire her before we actually watch the movie for ourselves :dry:

When it comes to Marvel movies, I rarely disagree with critic consensus. It wasn't like I saw a good Marvel movie from her before this, to give her a 2nd chance.

Even if I enjoyed the movie, when I see it. I would still prefer Marvel Studios to go with another director that didn't give their worst reviewed film*.

*- if critical reception isn't better in few weeks than TDW and TIH

When it comes to Marvel movies, I rarely disagree with critic consensus. It wasn't like I saw a good Marvel movie from her before this, to give her a 2nd chance.

Even if I enjoyed the movie, when I see it. I would still prefer Marvel Studios to go with another director that didn't give their worst reviewed film*.

*- if critical reception isn't better in few weeks than TDW and TIH

I dont at all agree with this logic. I let movies speak for themselves and I judge them with my own brain. I don't need %'s and algorithms to tell me to like things or if things shouldn't get sequels. The BO will be what decides the fate of any future projects for either Chloe or Eternals. But trying to make this decision based on a critical rating when the movie hasn't been seen by anyone yet and has no BO as a frame of reference...Yeah, just no

Well for starters, I don't let Rt dictate to me, if a movie is good or not. I only use the site as a guide and to check if a movie is well reviewed or not. Like I said, there's plenty of movies in Rt that scored in the 50s that I liked. Its different from not wanting to bring back Chloe for another mcu movie, due to Eternals getting the kind of reviews it is getting right now.

Chloe Zhao's first Marvel film isn't looking good (review wise), I don't need to see the movie for myself, to say if she should direct the second movie or not. What dozens of critics are saying about the movie is more important than what I think.

Chloe Zhao's first Marvel film isn't looking good (review wise), I don't need to see the movie for myself, to say if she should direct the second movie or not. What dozens of critics are saying about the movie is more important than what I think.

And $$$ is more important than critics. Which again, the movie hasn't been released and therefore we have no frame of reference for its BO potential going forward. By your logic, Venom would have ended at first movie cause it scored a 30%. But guess what? It made money. Money is what talks in the end, and what happens with this franchise will be determined by that sweet sweet dollar.

So again, this argument is garbage

Michael Bay also bought $$$ to Transformers movies, so as Zack Snyder to the first Dceu film. Again I'm referring to critical reception.

Michael Bay also bought $$$ to Transformers movies, so as Zack Snyder to the first Dceu film. Again I'm referring to critical reception.

Transformers had 5 gilms with Bay and Zack Snyder 3 DC movies. So, you are not exactly making a good argument.

. By your logic, Venom would have ended at first movie cause it scored a 30%.

I didn't say anything about Eternals should end after the first movie. I said I don't want Chloe for another Marvel movie. That was very clear in my post.

I am going to wait to see what the auidence reception will be, and wait until more reviews come out as well as how much it makes.

If they don't give her second chance it is what it is, but if they do give her second chance I'm fine with that to.

Audience reception and Box Office will determine what Marvel will do with the sequel. Even if things didn't workout this time, I believe with Marvel's guidance, the sequel will be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"