Rate the Ant-Man teaser trailer

Discussion in 'Ant-Man' started by MessiahDecoy123, Jan 7, 2015.

?

Rate the trailer

1. 5/5 GREAT

2. 4/5 GOOD

3. 3/5 DECENT

4. 2/5 POOR

5. 1/5 TERRIBLE

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Stormz96 WE did it.

Sure it wasn't heavy on action or FX but that doesn't matter to me. What I loved was Douglas's monologue and the emphasis on Lang's daughter --- the most interesting aspect of his character. Plus him riding the ant was awesome! 4/5!!!

Also, I highly recommend reading the new ant man comic, it's really good!

2. Keyser Soze AW YEEEAH!

I've seen a few people comparing this to the reaction to the Guardians of the Galaxy teaser from almost a year ago (how time flies!), arguing that it's just more of the same negativity. I don't really agree. I for one loved the Guardians of the Galaxy trailer, because, while like this it didn't give away much, just from that little bit of footage you got a clear sense of the film's tone and intentions, and its distinctive identity shone through. It shone through so strongly, in fact, that it generated polarising reactions. Those who connected with it, LOVED it and were instantly behind it. And those who didn't connect with it HATED it and thought it was stupid.

But that was a case of a film with a clear identity, leaning into its individuality rather than downplaying it, and all involved with the film going all in with the marketing and saying, "This is what we are, come along with us for the ride if you want."

This Ant-Man trailer feels a lot safer. It doesn't really do anything WRONG, per se, but that's because it largely feels to be playing within very neutral, well-defined boundaries: a bit of humour to not commit to being too serious and dramatic, but also a bit of sad faces and gloomy music to not commit to being too comedic either. All very middle-of-the-road, appealing mildly to as broad a demographic as possible rather than doubling down on what will make a smaller demographic go wild for it. I find it hard to imagine anyone really HATING this like the biggest critics HATED the GOTG teaser, but I have an equally hard time imagining people LOVING this.

Having said all that, it's just a teaser. I have confidence in Marvel Studios, and I have confidence in the cast - Paul Rudd in particular - to give us a strong film.

3. Vincanws Registered

I wouldn't hand out words like 'garbage' for this trailer, but for me it's average. I think they could have improved it with different music, and maybe re-arranging some scenes. Someone did a new edit with an ending that has better music and title cards.. that would make this a good trailer.

4. R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

you know, that wasn't really the point of my comparison with the GOTG teaser. It had more to do with the points that were made by the critics of that teaser. Apparently, the GotG teaser was to akward and there was to much humor in it that 'wasn't really funny' and it didn't tell us anything about the story and was the polar opposite of was a teaser should be in the minds of those critics.

Now, the Ant-Man teaser was a trailer that was everything those people said a trailer should be (and apparently my selection of quotes was in that respect not clear enough - since I simply sampled from the first pages of the old thread), but this time posters want something more unique, like GotG was, just different. A desire, they probably wouldn't have if GotG had a 'safe' too.

Of course, those who were loudest with their negativity towards the GotG teaser were some of the first to be negative about the Ant-Man trailer too. I assumed that was the case but didn't really realize until I went back to collect the couple of quotes I posted here earlier. That's fun and says more about those posters than it says about the quality of any of both teasers.

5. Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

The two best teasers Marvel Studios have put out have been the first Guardians teaser and the first Iron Man teaser. Those are on another level, so I really can't compare.

Also just curious is the Ant-Man teaser one that will be played in theaters? I'm judging this as a television special sneak preview more than a teaser that will play in theaters. If it's one that will play in theaters, I can understand a bit more skepticism.

I rated this a 5, but again, my interest in Ant-man was passing at best. I'm not really that familiar with the Lang version of the character and Hank Pym is a freaking psycho. This trailer did one thing for me, make me actually excited about this movie. I like the father daughter angle in the film and a guy who makes some mistakes trying to correct them. I liked the "is it too late to change the name?" bit.

I will admit the early dark tone of the trailer is probably totally out of sync with what this movie is going to be. It's going to be a comedy, and a heist film.

No this trailer isn't as good as the first GOTG movie, nor several other MCU trailers. But I think it's interesting and peaked my interest in this film.

6. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

It was a standard comic book teaser. I don't think it will sway anyone's opinion on the film one way or another. It was satisfactory. Nothing more, nothing less. 3/5

7. The Whizzer Registered

I'm more excited about this than nearly any other Marvel film, but man was the teaser just "meh." I have no idea why they were pushing that dramatic angle, especially with such a weak punchline at the end. I guess I'm glad to see any Ant-Man footage at this point, and I understand the long work involved in finishing up the effects, but I would have liked to have seen more of Ant-Man being useful.

The flying ant was amazing though.

8. Vincanws Registered

Oddly I kind of liked the punch line thing. It reminded me a bit of the "I'm Starlord ..
    -who? " stuff in Guardians.

9. TheComicbookKid Swing n Miss

Nothing about the trailer stood out I guess.

I think it needed some better art direction. Tron Legacy looked interesting even if the movie was dry. I kind of wanted to be in awe of Ant-Man's subatomic world.

The shrinking/regrowing should look awesome.

10. Tymminator The Main Man in Minnesota

I didn't mind what was there, but I'm in the camp that they should have added an action sequence similar to the test footage for the teaser...yeah most fans have seen that, but the general populace has not (seeing a shrinking man kick butt like that) and for a teaser that would be a great way to present that to the GA.

I still would have kept the scenes with him riding the winged ant, that's classic Ant-man for me.

11. DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs Registered

12. doink 'nuff said

3/5, it's decent but needed more of a hook like GoTG's or AoU's teasers, and better music after the "huh~?" part. They continued using the dramatic music after that part and it made me think of that one doinky international trailer for GoTG that didn't use any of the 70s songs and less of the funny parts. I did like the punchline at the end though.

I think they had less action scenes to work with because shooting wrapped just last month and much of the CGI isn't done, but they still needed to put some sort of teaser out in time for Agent Carter. I think future trailers will probably be better edited and show more humor and action.

13. Heretic Registered

First of all, Guardians of the Galaxy's teaser was my favorite trailer EVER. I am sick to death of trailers showing you the entire movie. Just give me a feel for the movie, and the basics of what I need to interest me in the characters or plot. I don't need to see ANYTHING that happens in the third act until I am sitting in the theater. Guardians told s who the characters are, told some jokes that showed us the tone of the film, a bit of action, and then it ended. Perfection. I wish all trailers were like that.

I'm torn on this Ant-Man trailer. I (and probably most people) were/still are expecting a comedy...yet this trailer was rather somber. It was a bit odd. It almost feels like those joke trailers where a comedy like Tom Hanks movie Big is re-imagined as a Horror movie...like, this wasn't the REAL trailer for this funny movie, right?

Also...I honestly can't get too excited about Ant-Man. I keep thinking "Honey, I Shrunk The Superhero." The powers aren't anything we haven't seen before...and are kind of stupid. I never cared for the comic version either.

But on the plus side...it didn't reveal too much...but did introduce you to the concept enough that you know enough to make a determination whether or not you like the idea enough to pay to see it. But my decision was already made...it's Marvel...I pay to see it. They have earned that trust from me.

14. antonydelfini Strange Tales

15. terry78 baby, that chicken was dry...real dry

I do like that Rudd is giving Lang kind of this insanely deadpan persona from the little we've seen. Not deadpan outlandish like Stark and not deadpan angsty like Banner. Just like a, "oh well" type of thing.

16. Steamteck Registered

It seemed fine but I have zero interest in Ant man so maybe I'm a bad source of review. It would have had to be really exceptional for me to care at all.

17. Doc Ock The Spider-Totem Awakens

I enjoyed it enough! Gave it a 4.

18. Ragnaroknroll Registered

First off I'm amazed they were even able to prepare a trailer for public release a month after finishing principal photography. There's a certain other comic book film by a certain other studio out there that finished shooting over 5 months ago and we've seen absolutely nothing.

Secondly, I'm not an Ant-Man fan by any means and I don't really put much stock in trailers because they can totally deceive you but I have to confess that this teaser intrigued me. I was surprised and a bit puzzled by its tone. I certainly didn't expect it to be so dramatic. As a father I'm really digging the father-daughter dynamic. Michael Douglass' voice over was quite compelling. Really beautifully done IMO. Things became a little jarring to me after Paul Rudd's humorous "huh" interjection but the shots of riding the flying ant made me geek out for sure. Marvel's earned my trust. As of right now this is an opening weekend movie ticket for the family for sure.

19. SomeOldGuy Registered

3/5. Didn't get me more excited about the film but didn't turn me off either. Flying on the ant scene was awesome. Michael Douglas speech was generic. Not in love with the costume at the moment but I'll probably get over it.

20. BoredGuy Never Did a Popular Thing

21. marcvader Lurker #1

As it's a teaser I'm pretty lenient. I think it's ok, voted 3. If the trailer doesn't add some umph then we gots problems.

22. Stormz96 WE did it.

Holy crap! That's a 5/5 for me!

23. R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

meh. 1/5. that doesn't work at all

24. Heretic Registered

Maybe someone can help me out...

I noticed that the trailer (after 2 days) has less than 6 million views on Youtube. I know that you can't compare it to Age of Ultron, but I think that had like 26 million views its first 24 hours. I'm kind of curious about what the "norm" would be...for say Guardians of the Galaxy...I don't know...Green Lantern...other superhero movies. Usually my friends post superhero trailers on Facebook etc...but everyone I know is silent about this. Is the 5-6 million views in 48 hours a low total, a high total, about average with comparable films? Just trying to figure out what the general audience interest is in watching the trailer.

25. Village_Idiot Captain of Industry

I gave it a three , for a trailer , for a movie that doesn't come out for another six months , it was just fine

I think my main problem was with the music , it was kind of a dull trailer made even duller by the dull music

No creepy Pinocchio theme or any Ooga-Chaka Ooga-Ooga
    Ooga-Chaka Ooga-Ooga here