Days of Future Past Rate the Days of Future Past trailer

8/10

Great trailer. Showed me enough to get me excited. The cast look great. I loved the music. The final shot of McAvoy and Stewart face to face gave me goosebumps.

I think it's been established that the movie is predominantly the FC era/cast.
Yup, I'm not too concerned.

Said this in the Fassbender thread, but aside from story elements I think McKellan and Stewart are featured prominently in the trailer just to help familiarize people and get them interested.

I'm still looking forward to the film (it would be silly to toss away a film because of a teaser) but I've always thought Singer's movies looked cheap and T.V movieish and I just don't like seeing that again in 2013. I like X-Men and X2 but I was never a fan of how these films looked. This trailer just dredged that opinion up I suppose. Once again the sets aren't special, one again the costumes are awful. Sigh, I miss Matthew Vaughn more than ever now.

I know I'm voicing the minority opinion and I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I just had to say my piece. I'm not saying anything that I didn't say in 2003.

Def 9 for me. I loved all of it but I can't wait for the real full one! It was good to see the original cast together again. :)

I'm still looking forward to the film (it would be silly to toss away a film because of a teaser) but I've always thought Singer's movies looked cheap and T.V movieish and I just don't like seeing that again in 2013. I like X-Men and X2 but I was never a fan of how these films looked. This trailer just dredged that opinion up I suppose. Once again the sets aren't special, one again the costumes are awful. Sigh, I miss Matthew Vaughn more than ever now.

I know I'm voicing the minority opinion and I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I just had to say my piece. I'm not saying anything that I didn't say in 2003.

This. The trailer just felt like another X-Men movie, nothing grand or epic about it. Fox should have waited until they finished some SFX to put something special in there and give it a more epic feel.

This. The trailer just felt like another X-Men movie, nothing grand or epic about it. Fox should have waited until they finished some SFX to put something special in there and give it a more epic feel.

That's why they didn't probably though. Remember what happened with Singer and Jack the Giant Slayer FX. That movie was DOA after that trailer dropped. Singer is probably going to wait until every FX shot is finished before showing anything. He's not the go-to action director you rely on for great action scenes so the FX better be enough to kept fanboys drooling for months.

I've always thought Singer's movies looked cheap and T.V movieish and I just don't like seeing that again in 2013. I like X-Men and X2 but I was never a fan of how these films looked.

I get what you're saying but Bryan Singer has this realistic-look-approach to these X-Men movies and I actually like it. It helps the film to not look like the next generic blockbuster flick.

X1 and X2 looked cheap? Like a TV show? I'd love to know what television programs people are watching. The internet breeds sheep, one person says something looks like a TV show and suddenly it's the critique du jour. If something is shot to look more natural(ish), or isn't overly stylized with faux artiste color grading, or isn't shot on IMAX even, then it's cheap and TV-ish. Never mind if it's an actual aesthetic choice the director and DOP have made which they feel best serves the story. I think X1 and X2 were elegantly shot, especially when you consider the budgets compared to other films of it's ilk. DoFP does have a different feel to it, but much of that is the format the chose to shoot in.

Last edited:
Modern TV looks pretty damn good now adays. There are alot of moments in X1 that look worse then it imo. Lots changed. I've always thought that whole last act on the Statue of Liberty looks terrible and made for Syfy. Wasn't exactly a huge budgted flick though. X2 holds up and is shot way better, but the effects are starting to show as well. The Deathstrike fight remains one of my favorite shot one on one battles in a comic flick.

Last edited:
Hmmm X1 only looks a Syfy movie now because of time. X1 looked exactly like a film that came out in 2000 with a budget of $75 million. And there are some shots there that looked good and not like a TV show.

Anyway, I don't think FOX can fully satisfy everybody when it comes to action scenes. The only way that they could satisfy the fans with the action sequences if every mutant go Mortal-Kombat style and do crazy power displays like in the Capcom videogames.

Last edited:
It's really that last act for me. Thought it looked cheap and underwhelming then and obviously looks worse now.

Special effects is a different complaint though, they are bound to become dated at some point. I'm speaking more to the way the camera is used and the lighting. To brush either film off as TV movie-ish is just WAY off the mark.

And comparing a film that's 10 + years old to something on TV today would also be a bit disengenuous.

Last edited:
To brush either film off as TV movie-ish is just WAY off the mark.

Certain scenes are done well. I can see the TV comparisons in certain scenes with the way it's shot though, even for the time. I always had issue with the style of the first. I have seen that remark about X1 more then a few times through the years.

Last edited:
Certain scenes are done well. I can see the TV comparisons in certain scenes with the way it's shot though, even for the time. I always had issue with the style of the first. I have seen that remark about X1 more then a few times through the years.

What scenes are you talking about that have a TV quailty? Bryan has a very classical/subtle style which I greatly appreciate, some may call it old school. Nothing too flashy or over-the-top in terms of camera work or lighting, so perhaps some people confuse this style/aesthetic with the limitations of the TV medium? Budgetary factors played a role, but mainly in the effects department. I look at those films as character pieces first and foremost.

Last edited:
Seeing a decent amount of non-sense in some of these recent posts in this thread...lots of the-ater.

The trailer focused on what these type of films should have at their very core: the characters. And being a long time fan of Marvel in general, let alone X-Men, this trailer gave me goosebumps. The score, the build up, the scenes, the dialogue, the desperation...the overall emotional tone it evoked...it all fit and made for a perfect teaser trailer in my mind and if it's any indication of the tone of the movie then it's on a perfect trajectory in my opinion.

I don't need none-stop action or "epic set pieces" for a good movie...I need to care about the characters...and I'll tell you what, that trailer made me care more than most of X-Men 3 The Last Stand (though there were some decent emotional scenes if you forgave the movie it's many flaws and let it take you at the right time).

I'm completely stoked for this movie, I have complete trust in Singer with this property given his previous works, and I can't wait to see more.

10/10

P.S....this trailer gave me a glimpse of a scene I've been waiting all of these movies for: Wolverine getting lit up by a s**t ton of lead...shrugging it off like it was nothing and then going to town on the fools that just tried to off him...my god, I cannot wait to see that scene in all it's glory.

Last edited:
the captain America trailer made me geek out it was so wsome! the x-men trailer looked bland just another x-men film didn't get me excited at all.so I give it a 5 out of 10

What scenes are you talking about that have a TV quailty? Bryan has a very classical/subtle style which I greatly appreciate, some may call it old school. Nothing too flashy or over-the-top in terms of camera work or lighting, perhaps people confuse this style/aesthetic choice with the limitations of TV...? Budgetary factors played a role, but mainly in the effects department. I look at those films as character pieces first and foremost.

I don't like the flick as a whole. Never did. Even on the character work, minus Logans stuff. Overall thought it looked flat and dull through plenty of scenes.There was a huge difference in the photography between X1 and 2 imo. Maybe that was cause of the budget or they leanred off working with the series the first time, don't know. I don't want to hate it haha. I try and give it more chances every other year. I actually really like the cinematographers work on other films, including the ones he did with Singer.

Last edited:
I don't like the flick as a whole. Never did. Even on the character work, hate Rogues take and wanted more time with characters other then Logan.

This is not really anything to do with "TV quality", just a personal problem with the film's interpretation of characters and desiring more from others. I agree with you on Rogue though.

Overall thought it looked flat and dull through plenty of scenes.There was a huge difference in the photography between X1 and 2 imo. Maybe that was cause of the budget, don't know. I don't want to hate it haha. I try and give it more chances every other year. I actually really like the cinematographers work on other films, including the ones he did with Singer.

It can look flat and dull but not cheap, or flat and dull and cheap. I don't think the visual design/lighting for X1 was cheap looking as it compares to TV. The film felt very polished and was pretty well thought out from a visual standpoint, Maybe compared to similar-type films it didn't feel cinematic enough, but that doesn't make it TV. So we'll agree to disagree.

X2 was a definite step up and much of that was the budget for visual design and effects. And experience I'm sure.

Last edited:
Seeing a decent amount of non-sense in some of these recent posts in this thread...lots of the-ater.

The trailer focused on what these type of films should have at their very core: the characters. And being a long time fan of Marvel in general, let alone X-Men, this trailer gave me goosebumps. The score, the build up, the scenes, the dialogue, the desperation...the overall emotional tone it evoked...it all fit and made for a perfect teaser trailer in my mind and if it's any indication of the tone of the movie then it's on a perfect trajectory in my opinion.

I don't need none-stop action or "epic set pieces" for a good movie...I need to care about the characters...and I'll tell you what, that trailer made me care more than most of X-Men 3 The Last Stand (though there were some decent emotional scenes if you forgave the movie it's many flaws and let it take you at the right time).

I'm completely stoked for this movie, I have complete trust in Singer with this property given his previous works, and I can't wait to see more.

10/10

P.S....this trailer gave me a glimpse of a scene I've been waiting all of these movies for: Wolverine getting lit up by a s**t ton of lead...shrugging it off like it was nothing and then going to town on the fools that just tried to off him...my god, I cannot wait to see that scene in all it's glory.

I give the trailer an 8 only because I'd seen so much before, but I definitely agree with the sentiment here. :up:

This is not really anything to do with "TV quality", just a personal problem with the film's interpretation of characters and desiring more from others. I agree with you on Rogue though.

I know, was just replying to your character piece comment. But yeah I shouldn't have gone into that, I have a tendency to run that one into the ground.

So we'll agree to disagree.

Fair enough. :up:

Last edited:
I don't like the flick as a whole. Never did. Even on the character work, minus Logans stuff. Overall thought it looked flat and dull through plenty of scenes.There was a huge difference in the photography between X1 and 2 imo. Maybe that was cause of the budget or they leanred off working with the series the first time, don't know. I don't want to hate it haha. I try and give it more chances every other year. I actually really like the cinematographers work on other films, including the ones he did with Singer.

Or you didn't like it because its not your usual popcorn flick?

I'll admit at times, I find X1 boring and I know a lot of people prefer X3 than X1 because X3 had more action and visual effects. Plus the fact that its the 1st X-Men movie and visually, its very different to the cartoons/videogames that I exposed to when I was a kid, it wasn't that engaging and tone of the movie isn't that engaging too. But story-wise, its good.

Or you didn't like it because its not your usual popcorn flick?

That's part of it I guess, if your using the term popcorn flick with exciting and fun. But I don't like the adaptation of the team first and foremost. Thought Storm, Sabertooth, Cyclops and Rogue were all a disappointment compared to the books and cartoons I grew up with. The lackluster set pieces just added to that. Bottom line is I had expectations of characters that were not met, and the film just wasn't exciting to me. I can appreciate aspects of the story telling and see why others like it, but I don't agree with alot of the choices made by the writers.

To each their own. I realize many love this film.

Last edited:
Thought Storm, Sabeertooth, Cyclops and Rogue were all a disappointment compared to the books and cartoons I grew up.

To each their own.

It's funny that I actually agree with you on this but am completely on the other side of the spectrum it seems when it comes to X1. I just bought in to what Bryan was trying to do with the film and thought the changes worked within the framework he created. Ah well. :yay:

6/10

On the good side, the trailer looked heaps better than that rogue footage of the footage. Note to self, always wait for the professional release. Also, I think that the music is an improvement even if it's still rather slow and sombre. That Inception track is a great piece of music but just too much of a dirge.

I still didn't exactly love it though. Granted it focused a lot on the future which I'm not as interested in, but even the 70s scenes felt kinda flat. I couldn't figure out why for a while, but I think the answer is that the trailer tries to pack so many characters into 2 minutes they just all get lost in a shuffle. We get all these shots of individual characters looking sad, pissed off etc., but barely any interactions or dialogue between them outside of Wolverine's talk with Magneto and Xavier which is pretty much all plot stuff and all business. Bar young Charles none of the 70s characters even open their mouths or appear in the same frame, and I think that's what makes them and most other characters feel distant to me. I got way more excitement out of seeing those latest screenshots where the characters actually appear to be interacting, and I found the recent trailers for Captain America and Thor more compelling for the same reason even though I'm not even that interested in either.

- It was cool to see two Xaviers together, but I'm not sure about the line delivery from both McAvoy and Stewart. The first time I heard Stewart's "pleeeeeease" I actually giggled. Also, don't know what the deal is with that temple, but to me it looks like it walked straight out of some sci-fi B-movie together with the future characters' costumes.

- Overall, it feels like this trailer is mostly preaching to the converted. I'm not sure if a person who's never seen a single X-Men movie in their life will be grabbed.

Still looking forward to the movie a lot, but maybe the trailers for this will always be too "X-Men Greatest Hits in 2 minutes" to feel really satisfying, for me.

Last edited:
McAvoy yelling IMO is the best thing about this trailer. At least he's injecting some actual emotion into it while all the rest are depending on the music to do the job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"