Days of Future Past Rate the Days of Future Past trailer

I keep getting better and better vibes about the trailer.

I can understand what some people mean when they talk about "cheap TV movieish" visual style, it's very different from ie. how Winter Soldier looks right now.

...and that's, for me, part of the charm. There are real set pieces which is a thing I love and appreciate. The focus is on the characters, which I love and appreciate too. I'm all too confident that they will make the movie look good with the budget they have. There is certain simplistic warmth with how Singer constructs his X-men movies. Just think about X2 with all its memorable scenes. Even today, I wouldn't want to change them. There is this unique style that may look cheap at times, but somehow it adds to everything and it just works. And again, I believe the huge budget is going to be used well and I wouldn't worry even if I didn't love Singer's style all that much.
Seeing the Winter Soldier trailer made me sigh. How generic does that look? I got the feeling I don't really want to see the movie, but I probably will borrow it from someone sometime just to prepare to Avengers 2. I couldn't be more uninterested.

Even though I wouldn't say Singer is an action director (as others have agreed somewhere above that he isn't), in his X-men movies the action scenes make me root the guys/girls in a way that's really rare. When the overall setting, the characters, drama and humor work together firmly, the action has that much more of an impact. The really short action clips from the trailer look wonderful to me. I'm going to be emotionally invested like an emotional investor, I can already feel it.

I didn't think the trailer looked cheap at all, the VFX weren't even there, so how can we judge much of anything visually?? I understand this, and I'm sure we won't be disappointed in the special effects.
For me, the trailer just did nothing to pump me up about the film. I'm still hopeful it'll be good, but unlike the Cap trailer which made me jump with excitement, this one was pretty damn boring. You can say the Cap trailer looks generic, but if you know the Brubaker run, you know it should be anything but bland or generic. Whereas with the x-men trailer, knowing the DoFP story doesn't ease my feelings about this...I'm getting a similar feeling to when I saw the first X3 trailers. I loved Singer's X-Films, but this will either be huge and ambitious, or a giant mess.

if you know the Brubaker run, you know it should be anything but bland or generic

I don't, at least I don't remember. I stopped reading comics for whatever reason in early 90's and I don't remember much about who wrote a particular story. The thing is, I didn't know that much about DOFP story either. I just checked out the animated series' version of it some weeks ago, being curious, but I don't have a foundation to build my expectations on other than Singer and the cast.

And I admit I am very much biased towards Singer's X-men along with the main casting choices. Not in "It's going to be better than (insert title) and I have already decided this"-way, but on the terms of what feels "right" for me and what I'm looking forward to. Cap (and some other titles) still need to win me over to some extent. I'm not saying someone is an idiot for not liking what I like, or vice versa, oh no. I like Prometheus myself, for goodness' sake.

Last edited:
Evans isn't boring, and nothing in that trailer indicates that he'll be boring this time. Cap is a soldier, so he tends to be more serious and by the book, it's his nature. Him being goofy like Tony or Shakespearian like Thor wouldn't fit the character.

People are complaining that different music should've been used to make the trailer more exciting.

I think the point of it wasn't to be exciting but to be stoic. To translate the weight and burden of the stakes in the story rather than the frenzied business of what action will ensue. When any other number of trailers would prefer to tumble down that crowded rabbit hole and shoot their wad prematurely on the audience, this chose to restrain itself...which is pretty refreshing actually.

I thought it was a solid 8/10. Maybe 8.5...

It excites me because this is my favorite superhero franchise. I love seeing the old gang back, and seeing McAvoy and Stewart meeting face to face gave me goosebumps. Also excited for the new faces and to see how some of the old gang, particularly Iceman and Kitty, are hoding up.

10. X-Men films, even the ones that aren't accepted as "good," have a streak of great trailers. This one may be the best since the early ones for The Last Stand.

10. X-Men films, even the ones that aren't accepted as "good," have a streak of great trailers. This one may be the best since the early ones for The Last Stand.

OMG the Last Stand trailers. Just pure dopeness.

People are complaining that different music should've been used to make the trailer more exciting.

I think the point of it wasn't to be exciting but to be stoic. To translate the weight and burden of the stakes in the story rather than the frenzied business of what action will ensue. When any other number of trailers would prefer to tumble down that crowded rabbit hole and shoot their wad prematurely on the audience, this chose to restrain itself...which is pretty refreshing actually.

I thought it was a solid 8/10. Maybe 8.5...

That's not the complaint I'm hearing about the music. It's more along the lines of "Boy, we've heard this music used a helluva lot in other places before".

OMG the Last Stand trailers. Just pure dopeness.

But the X3 trailer had a money shot in it with Magneto moving the GG bridge. This trailer seems money shot-less and that's the other complaint I'm noticing about it.

yeah, they don't need to spoil anything

but the trailer definitely needed an "oh s**t" moment

6/10

- Overall, it feels like this trailer is mostly preaching to the converted. I'm not sure if a person who's never seen a single X-Men movie in their life will be grabbed.

I think with a half dozen movies under their belt,they don't need to be overly concerned with the uninitiated.The franchise has been going on over 10 years.People interested in X-Men/Hugh as Wolverine are going to come.Others who were not fans are not likely to change their minds about the franchise at this point.

But the X3 trailer had a money shot in it with Magneto moving the GG bridge. This trailer seems money shot-less and that's the other complaint I'm noticing about it.

the bridge scene was a big money shot that personally for me was meh! nothing spectacular

i actually found the smaller scale magneto throwing missiles back at the ships in FC to be more exciting

I think with a half dozen movies under their belt,they don't need to be overly concerned with the uninitiated.The franchise has been going on over 10 years.People interested in X-Men/Hugh as Wolverine are going to come.Others who were not fans are not likely to change their minds about the franchise at this point.

Thing is though, with the kind of budget this movie has and the diminishing domestic returns, they do need to get more interest if they want this film to play to the crowd other than the one who came out for FC and Wolverine and who'll see anything with X in it.

it terms of emotion, this trailer has it, the next trailer will be the action, money shots so i wouldn't worry at all

Looks alright. Looks like it's more respectable then XOW, X3, TW, and probaly FC.

I don't know, I'm kind of bored by this universe. It's really lacking that drawing factor mostly all the other CBM's have going on. This trailer does have that "emotional" pull and I respect the direction it looks like it's going in, but damn...

This looks kinda bland. I will resserve thoughts until the film. 6/10

Thing is though, with the kind of budget this movie has and the diminishing domestic returns, they do need to get more interest if they want this film to play to the crowd other than the one who came out for FC and Wolverine and who'll see anything with X in it.

I'm hoping the sentinels will accomplish this.

But after Pacific Rim bombed in the U.S. I can't. be sure.

I was kinda let down by the trailer only because I've already seen the low quality SDCC one. However, I don't get the complaint that the Patrick Stewart's "Hope" line was cheesy?

I keep getting better and better vibes about the trailer.

Same here.

I saw the trailer last night on the news and they played the full trailer and I got so excited! :woot:

McAvoy yelling IMO is the best thing about this trailer. At least he's injecting some actual emotion into it while all the rest are depending on the music to do the job.

eh no. And I don't like that shot at the end where his mouth is open.

8/10

Would have appreciated a shot or two of some of the big action sequences, but I liked the dark tone and emotional angle they were going for. And although I would have liked to see more, I'm glad Singer/FOX are holding back. We don't need to be that spoiled this early.

I was kinda let down by the trailer only because I've already seen the low quality SDCC one. However, I don't get the complaint that the Patrick Stewart's "Hope" line was cheesy?

I didn't think it was terrible, but it was a bit Solemn and Ponderous Movie Dialogue 101. Trailer was kinda full of it actually - "on a darker path", "guide me teach me" etc.

8/10. I liked the trailer but I am getting really tired of the depressing hero trailers.

Well the source material isn't particularly all sunshine and rainbows. :hehe:

I think the tone was right - this isn't your typical superhero movie where the heroes fight the villain to help thwart some evil scheme. They are trying to survive in a future where their people are being captured, imprisoned and even slaughtered.

Well the source material isn't particularly all sunshine and rainbows. :hehe:

I think the tone was right - this isn't your typical superhero movie where the heroes fight the villain to help thwart some evil scheme. They are trying to survive in a future where their people are being captured, imprisoned and even slaughtered.

Agreed but then again X-Men Isn't your typical Superhero property the tagline
"Sworn to protect a world that hates and fears them" Is so different from
others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"