Guardians of the Galaxy Rate The First Trailer

Tehmeh, I appreciate your opinion on the trailer (and others!) It's thoughtful and fair. I kind of agree with you, at first I was like, "huh… it's just the CC footage. Okay." Then I watched it a few times and I've laughed even harder each time. The thing grew on me unexpectedly. And it at least introduced the characters to my husband, who now wants the sullen spitting raccoon in his life and has been saying "What a bunch of a-holes!" over and over again LOL!

Some of the other way more negative opinions (This movie will TANK!! I hate comedy! Why is this funny! I don't read GOTG but I don't think this is true to the characters!) seem almost knee-jerk in their reactions. Like, what did the trailer do to you? Kill your puppies???

I feel like I'm saying this over and over like a broken record.... you not liking the trailer is fair enough, but you not liking the trailer, therefore deciding that the trailer has tanked and it's getting bad buzz from everyone is plain factually inaccurate. There have been articles from mainstream movie news outlets commenting on what a hit this trailer has been and how well it's gone down. Thus far at least, the film's marketing is a major win for Marvel. So what you or I think about the film is immaterial: the notion of this trailer "killing the film for general audiences" is just untrue.

Because this is very true. Oh so true.

That's what I meant, it got funnier the more I watched it. I just needed to adjust myself accordingly, since the trailer was the first time I've ever seen anything GOTG-related. Choice for music was perfect too.

I liked it just fine. I don't think it's crap and I don't think it's the greatest thing ever (such is the internet though, no middle-ground), but I like it.

I liked it just fine. I don't think it's crap and I don't think it's the greatest thing ever (such is the internet though, no middle-ground), but I like it.

Sadly this is true, anything on the internet has to be "crap" or "the best thing ever" no in between.

Watched it a couple more times! Getting a good feeling about this. What I like about it is the fact that I knew absolutely nothing about the material, and the trailer ultimately got me a) curious and b) in a good mood. It didn't force anything on the viewer, it didn't try to push anything. Most trailers nowadays try so hard to get people to care about certain elements that I end up being not only bored, but somewhat mentally fatiqued too.

This might just be my 2nd most anticipated movie of the year, while DOFP being the 1st. Both seem to be very, very different tonally from each other and that's just great.

I think that's the great thing about a trailer most people,and even comic book geeks, do not know much about. There is no huge expectation and you'll be hearing very little "Hey! That's not what happened in the comics!" This will actually be fairly judged as a movie on it's own merits and not almost purely on fanboy bias. No a lot of comic book fans will get to BE the general audience and I think that's great. I think that's why this trailer has been so well received.

I'm sick of having these marvel films with all the jokes and comedy...just make a serious and dark movie please

Take a look at the Lee/Kirby era,maybe you'll change your mind. This has always been the Marvel method.For example,The Thor movies match that tone perfectly IMO.

Last edited:
Another thing about Marvel not being "serious and dark"…

Honestly, if that's your thing, there are other comic book movies that can satisfy your needs. I love The Crow. I love Nolan's films. But I also like The Avengers, Spider-Man, Captain America… It's not really like we have to like one over the other.

Besides if all of Marvel's movies were one tone, that'd make them boring as all hell. I love the variety we get from each different company. I never get sick of them.

Humor is fine, and I actually expect a good amount of it in GOTG. But it'd be great if a dramatic moments wouldn't be immediately neutralized, by a damn joke. That's my only issue with the Marvel Movies. I love the funny bits in their movies, but when a dramatic scene takes place, for the love of god, let it breath. Don't immediately follow it up with a silly one liner.

They... don't?

Yinsen's death, Erskine's death, Bucky's "death", Thor unable to lift his hammer, Coulson's death, Loki's "death", Stark's house getting bombed, etc. All allowed to breathe

There are a couple instances where a joke undercuts a serious moment (Frigga's death sticks out), but the movies are in no way dramatically neutralized by them. Marvel's found a nice balance, for the most part

And, as Suzanne said, if they aren't your cup of tea, you certainly have your alternatives

They... don't?

Yinsen's death, Erskine's death, Bucky's "death", Thor unable to lift his hammer, Coulson's death, Loki's "death", Stark's house getting bombed, etc. All allowed to breathe

There are a couple instances where a joke undercuts a serious moment (Frigga's death sticks out), but the movies are in no way dramatically neutralized by them. Marvel's found a nice balance, for the most part

And, as Suzanne said, if they aren't your cup of tea, you certainly have your alternatives

Refresh my memory, what joke came right after Frigga's death? I thought it went right into the funeral scene. Of course, I have a terrible memory.

Refresh my memory, what joke came right after Frigga's death? I thought it went right into the funeral scene. Of course, I have a terrible memory.
Right after the funeral the movie cut to a random scene of Stellan in the mental institute. It was... weird

^ Oh, right. Yeah, I guess they could have chosen a better transition. (Of course, it clearly didn't stand out to me.)

One of the moments that annoyed me the most, was when Tony wasn't sure whether or not Pepper was alive, after being injected with Extremis. You clearly see his pain. And shortly after, it's back to classic Tony.

Right after the funeral the movie cut to a random scene of Stellan in the mental institute. It was... weird

That transition actually reminded me of the 'another!'scene in the first movie right after Odin reveals Loki's true story,only this time people complained more XD.

One of the moments that annoyed me the most, was when Tony wasn't sure whether or not Pepper was alive, after being injected with Extremis. You clearly see his pain. And shortly after, it's back to classic Tony.
Didn't bother me. Tony's a glib guy and he's not about to show Killian he's vulnerable. Were he alone I'm sure he would've reacted differently

And either way, that's one moment. It's certainly not the pattern that you suggested above

That transition actually reminded me of the 'another!'scene in the first movie right after Odin reveals Loki's true story,only this time people complained more XD.
The 'another' scene actually moved the plot forward and was more than just that throwaway joke. The mental institute scene was nothing but the joke

Last edited:
The 'another' scene actually moved the plot forward and was more than just that throwaway joke. The mental institute scene was nothing but the joke

Yes you're right about that,but I remember selvig explaining how those devices he created worked.

I downloaded that Blue Swede version of the song in the trailer, based on how cool and fun it sounded in the trailer - So well done to Gunn and his trailer editors' skill, because the original song actually sucks!

I'm disappointed that it was mostly the comic con footage, but I realize its a smart way to introduce the characters to the GA. I'm looking forward to the next trailer for some more meaty scenes

I downloaded that Blue Swede version of the song in the trailer, based on how cool and fun it sounded in the trailer - So well done to Gunn and his trailer editors' skill, because the original song actually sucks!

EUKC0x0.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"