Rate the teaser trailer!

There are two "jokes" in the whole trailer. Two. Thor's little "Hi there" before he gets netted and Thor's reaction to seeing Hulk ("He's a friend from work"). The rest is all action, epic looking scenes with Valkyries, the flattening of Asgard, death goddesses and Executioners and...

Really, those two bits of humor were too much for some? I'm the first person to say I wanted a more subdued and serious tone for a Thor film with Ranarok in the title, but what I saw looked good, like a fun action romp. Maybe it's not what I wanted but that doesn't make it bad and the trailer worked in showcasing what looks to be an action heavy film. Two jokes hardly means it was overly reliant on humor, and count me in as finding too many MCU films being more interested in quips than compelling super hero adventure, but this trailer would not fall into that category.

Justice League trailer also had two jokes: one with Barry Allen asking Bruce Wayne what his super power is, and Wayne replied "I'm rich", and the second one was when Aquaman saw Batman and commented "So you dressed like a bat; I dig it".

Did anybody said JL is going to be ridden with jokes? Of course not. So why do people make this assumption about Thor Ragnarok?

Justice League trailer also had two jokes: one with Barry Allen asking Bruce Wayne what his super power is, and Wayne replied "I'm rich", and the second one was when Aquaman saw Batman and commented "So you dressed like a bat; I dig it".

Did anybody said JL is going to be ridden with jokes? Of course not. So why do people make this assumption about Thor Ragnarok?

no one did

It's a catch 22 - if the humor hits then it's fine.

It's the over-abundance of the Darcy comedy hour that soured the previous films, particularly T:TDW. The problem in that aforementioned movie is they attempted to blend some Whedon in with what Alan Taylor was trying to do and it made the movie horribly unbalanced.

I totally agree with you. The final battle in particular focused too much on Darcy andher intern for me,taking me out of the movie. I am so glad they skipped these characters entirely for Ragnarok.

I totally agree with you. The final battle in particular focused too much on Darcy andher intern for me,taking me out of the movie. I am so glad they skipped these characters entirely for Ragnarok.

What's disappointing about TDW is that the first 2/3 of the movie is actually decent, when they spent their time on Asgard. But the last 1/3 of the movie including the climax completely dragged the movie down for me. The terrible Darcy/intern comedy and the laughable fight between Thor and Malekith sank the movie.

What's disappointing about TDW is that the first 2/3 of the movie is actually decent, when they spent their time on Asgard. But the last 1/3 of the movie including the climax completely dragged the movie down for me. The terrible Darcy/intern comedy and the laughable fight between Thor and Malekith sank the movie.

I found the Thor/Malekith fight quite fun but there should have been more of that and almost no Darcy-Intern.

I loved the non-Earth parts of the movie but those damn humans always bug me.

I like how the trailer made Thor into Flash Gordon. Seems like something Taika Waititi would do.

I found the Thor/Malekith fight quite fun but there should have been more of that and almost no Darcy-Intern.

I loved the non-Earth parts of the movie but those damn humans always bug me.

You don't give a guy with a magic hammer two of his girlfriend's science sticks for the final battle.

I enjoyed "The Adventures of Dr. Jane Foster, her Super Hot Out-Of-Town boyfriend and her Wacky friends " duology, but I can't wait for Ragnarok.

I'm in the camp that never had an issue with Darcy, but I found Portman unbearable in Thor 2. That might have been the most phoned-in performance in any CBM, ever. But the movie as a whole was just weak and Malekith was a terrible villain. Ragnarok looks like it could be among Marvel's best CBMs if done well.

I enjoyed "The Adventures of Dr. Jane Foster, her Super Hot Out-Of-Town boyfriend and her Wacky friends " duology, but I can't wait for Ragnarok.

I think you guys rag on TDW too much but this was pretty funny.

Branagh doesn't get enough credit for bringing Thor to the big screen and making the MCU possible. If Thor failed then the Avengers would've been a bust.

And if there was no TDW there would be no Ragnarok because that movie made coin even despite middling critical reception. Ironically though, in the critics' minds, it was the third act that saved the film while most fans seem to prefer the rest of it.

Marvel slipped up with Alan Taylor but I don't think they had a clear enough vision for Thor yet without Branagh. The fan outcry ever since I think showed Marvel that enough of us out here actually care about Thor and Feige's comments about the next installment showed they were taking it seriously which brought them to Taika who's clearly infused the project with a whole new energy and seems far more qualified for the task.

However, I'm as enthused as everyone else but let's not crown Taika just yet. Great trailer but I'm more interested in the final film. If he knocks it out of the park, I will be eternally grateful as I won't be forced to hang my head in shame for being an MCU Thor fan.

I still find it funny that Taika was the guy who played Tom in Green Lantern. I assumed I'd never see or hear anything from that guy again after that movie.

I love MCU Thor character,Hemsworth is perfect and I enjoy both his movies,but it's time for him to have a great movie.

And if there was no TDW there would be no Ragnarok because that movie made coin even despite middling critical reception. Ironically though, in the critics' minds, it was the third act that saved the film while most fans seem to prefer the rest of it.

It "made coin"?

The bump in money it made from the first film can be credited to The Avengers effect. The box office take is moot though - Kevin Feige saw the complaints and based on the trailer they were heard loudly.

I love MCU Thor character,Hemsworth is perfect and I enjoy both his movies,but it's time for him to have a great movie.

It really is.

I've been baffled at his treatment throughout most of the MCU.

I still find it funny that Taika was the guy who played Tom in Green Lantern. I assumed I'd never see or hear anything from that guy again after that movie.

Wow, I never caught that!

It "made coin"?

The bump in money it made from the first film can be credited to The Avengers effect. The box office take is moot though - Kevin Feige saw the complaints and based on the trailer they were heard loudly.

Whether or not that's true, had TDW tanked and not made money, Thor would have most likely seen the same fate as the Incredible Hulk whose last solo film was 2008 - almost a decade ago. Meanwhile we've had to wait 4 years for Thor's sequel as it is, while Cap and GOTG's follow-ups were pretty much fast-tracked. Even Ant-Man's sequel is coming sooner than Ragnarok will have come after TDW.

Hemsworth is perfect and so dedicated to the role - a role he has only grown into even further over time. He often gets overlooked because of sharing screen time with Hiddleston's more conflicted character. But Hiddleston also auditioned for the role of Thor and didn't win it. Meanwhile, fans were clamoring for a wrestler like Triple H. (shudders)

It really is.

I've been baffled at his treatment throughout most of the MCU.

Wow, I never caught that!

I think it's the classic problem of adapting such a powerful character and keeping him grounded to fit with the other characters. That's what I believe limited his treatment. While I still think that he has had a good development across the four movies he starred in,looks like they are really letting it loose with Ragnarok now that the MCU has established a strong cosmic side of its universe.

Civil War #1 ist still my Favorit Trailer but that one is definete in the Top3.

:funny:

I genuinely love the Asgard scenes in TDW (Frigga's funeral especially is one of the most visually stunning scenes in the entirety of the MCU so far), but Jane, Darcy and co really do drag the film down so much and the contrast between the quality and tone of the two halves of the film make it overall feel horribly disjointed.

Ragnarok, though? As a long term fan of the Thor comics, especially vintage Thor, this finally looks to be the Thor film I've always dreamed of. Can we please just fast forward the next six months already?

Thought about giving this a 9 but screw it, this was a 10.

Got incredibly hyped when this was barely on my radar.

Mission accomplished.

This trailer is up there with Logan as far as I'm concerned.

Trailer definitely worked for me. I mean, cmon, Thor vs Hulk in a gladiator style throwdown match? Who wouldn't want to see that. Thor's corny one-liner about his co-worker friend did not affect my viewing in the least. It's marvel , and apparently movie-goers like humor. so, there ya have it. Personally, I place little to no value on humor in films, so id be fine with them just trying to rip one another's spinal cords out, without nary a word being spoken beforehand. (So viking like of me).

I showed the trailer to around 20 of my very 'GA-type' colleagues. It shows (at least with the people around me) that people are aware of Thor but from the Avengers, and they didn't know of Thor 3.

Almost to a (wo)man, they loved it. Genuine enthusiasm, asking far more questions than some other recent trailers I've shown them like Doctor Strange, Spiderman.
Just knowing them and basing it off their response, I reckon this is going to do quite well!

Only one that seemed to interest them as much was the JL trailer.

This really is an amazing trailer. I've lost count of how many times I've watched it. Every time Hela turns to the camera right after the Marvel Studios logo I get chills.

Among the best trailers I've seen from the last few years. Few have had an impact on me like it. For this year it's up there with Logan, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri & War for the Planet of the Apes.
From the last few years, I dunno, maybe The Nice Guys, Civil War, Winter Soldier.

As i posted in another thread:

I watched Thor 3 today....really bad.
It's basically Thor's version of Guardians of the Galaxy.

And the line of "we know each other, he is a friend from work", might be one the most pathetic lines i ever listen in a superhero movie.

Everything looked extremely cheesy.
The lettering with the all 80s feeling, the music in the same vein as GotG, the all cutting of Thor's hair, the friend from work line.......really bad.
Not only is the comedy line stupid coming from Thor, but....a friend from work....really...his Thor and Hulk working on an assembly line now?!?
And the less i talk about Thor's reaction to Hulk the better...the idea that a Norse God shouts "yeah" the moment he sees a "friend from work" is really....really....really...awful.

I hope it gets better, or it will make Thor 2 looks like a masterpiece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"