• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Raya and the Last Dragon

Okay, I think I will rent it.
I was planning to just be extremely cautious about going to the theater, but every theater in the province has been closed since December by the government so... guess I'm doing this Premium stuff.

It becomes available on Disney+ with the regular subscription on June 4th. I think I’ll wait.

This movie was wonderful. Definitely get a bit of an Avatar vibe in terms of the world building. Some weird editing choices. Some clearly to lessen the violence on screen. There was a bit toward the end where a scene was clearly deleted, that I would have liked to see. Its also a very pretty movie. I hope its a success for Disney.

Seeing this tomorrow late afternoon. Looking forward to it!

I get why premiere access is a thing, but $30 is too much to watch it on a service that I already pay a monthly fee for.

I can understand that. And it is up to everyone to make the choice for themselves. I wanted something a bit special this week, and this movie was it. And it was a wonderful choice. Its still going to be a while before I can get vaccinated, so theaters are a no go for me. And given how much I liked it, it will probably work out in the long run given how much I will want to rewatch it.

raya-and-the-last-dragon-mural-7157141-1200x900.jpg

raya-mural-2-4868658-1200x675.jpg

PHOTOS: New "Raya and the Last Dragon" Mural by Imagineer Xiao Qing Chen in Downtown Disney District - WDW News Today

I think the premier access price conversation is interesting. I remember ten or so years ago people were saying they’d like to have the option to rent a new movie that was currently in theaters. Most knew the charge would be sky high, especially for big budget films. I think $30 is a fair price for a movie on a service where most people are probably sharing an account and it can be watched however long as long as you have the service.

Lol and that option is available. I wanna see if Black Widow gets the release or not.

I decided I couldn't justify $30 for a rental. I think $20 is what the price should be as I would probably only go see a movie like this once unless it blew me away. I don't share Disney+ with anybody so the $37 would all be on me. I'm more than happy to wait and pay $30 for the 4k. If the $30 included at least a digital copy I would probably have no issue with the price.

I decided I couldn't justify $30 for a rental. I think $20 is what the price should be as I would probably only go see a movie like this once unless it blew me away. I don't share Disney+ with anybody so the $37 would all be on me. I'm more than happy to wait and pay $30 for the 4k. If the $30 included at least a digital copy I would probably have no issue with the price.
You'll get to keep the film and access it indefinitely so it does include a digital copy. And its in 4K on Disney+.

You get to keep it as long as you keep Disney+. I remember people throwing more of a tantrum when Mulan came out but that could have been because there was no theatrical option?

My thoughts:

Average, decent animated film. Great visuals, set design, character designs, topnotch animation. I love the world they created and how it looks.

I think the first half has awkward pacing. At D23, they showed a different introduction for Sisu that I thought was a lot better than the final version. Parts of the first act feel disjointed.

I think my general problem was they do a lot of comedy, but most of the comedy isn't all that funny. A lot of the jokes feel very forced. BUT the quiet and dramatic moments aren't very good. Like I didn't hate Sisu, but I enjoyed the character more when she was being more thoughtful and wasn't cracking jokes.

I did like the message and felt like was a good message for a family film.

Not as good as Frozen 2, Onward or Soul.

You get to keep it as long as you keep Disney+. I remember people throwing more of a tantrum when Mulan came out but that could have been because there was no theatrical option?

How about that it goes up for free on Disney+ three months later?

IMHO this film is NOT worth paying for a $30 RENTAL for Disney+. Just wait for it go up for free on Disney+. It's not must-see watch it now, plunk down that $30.

Guys if you have Disney+, you are already paying for that and your internet connection. Paying an extra $30 for early access, especially for a film that won't be $30 on the same service in 90 days is ridiculous. Don't fall for it.

Last edited:
I don't like this film at all. Its very by the numbers and predictable. Like I could tell what is going to happen neXt. And the humour is very cringe inducing. Did they need those kids? And a humorous talking dragon? The whole thing is just very meh to me.

The only good thing I can say about it, is the environment looks photo realistic for a WDAS film. And I wish they also went with a more photo realistic character models.

How about that it goes up for free on Disney+ three months later?

IMHO this film is NOT worth paying for a $30 RENTAL for Disney+. Just wait for it go up for free on Disney+. It's not must-see watch it now, plunk down that $30.

Guys if you have Disney+, you are already paying for that and your internet connection. Paying an extra $30 for early access, especially for a film that won't be $30 on the same service in 90 days is ridiculous. Don't fall for it.

[shrug]

I thought it was worth it. But, I think I am going to watch it a few more times in those 3 months. Everyone is different. There is nothing wrong with waiting.

[shrug]

I thought it was worth it. But, I think I am going to watch it a few more times in those 3 months. Everyone is different. There is nothing wrong with waiting.

It's fine if you did too, but i'm saying it more for people who are on the fence about it.

What a beautiful film. Really surprised with some of you saying it's "average"

I do agree Soul and possibly Onward were better, but I'm a huge fan of Pixar to begin with.

Sure, you could say it was a little "by the numbers" but the story was unique enough that it didn't bother me at all.

The voice acting was pretty great too.

^ wait ten years and I’m sure you’ll get a live action remake.
Its not even about that.

I feel like in terms of character models they could have matched it with how they modeled the environment. And I don't think every Disney animated film needs to have cartoony modeled characters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"