Justice League Re-cast Hal Jordan for JL movie? Yay or Nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Green Lantern wasn't that bad. Sure it could have been great if done right.

I enjoyed it as much as any Marvel movie.

The OA scenes and Sinestro were the highlights. They needed to spend more time in space.

Last edited:
Yes, and the new Justice League film is scheduled for after 2013. Right now Hal Jordan is more popular. Even back in 2007, there were those who were against having John Stewart in the picture.

well I was talking about before the 2011 GL movie. Stewart might have been more known back then.

But now, (post-GL 2011, and the GL tv show), Hal Jordan is definitely more known, as your google fight indicated.

TIH didn't "Bomb" it underperformed. It squeaked by with a profit on dvd/ Blu-ray. It left theaters with a deficit of about $50-60 M, and made that in video sales. Critical consensus wasn't great, 66% on RT, but not a complete bomb.

Green Lantern left theatres with a deficit of close to $200 M. It's probably still in the hole $150 M, and was the worst reviewed big budget movie of 2011.

Green Lantern was a much better film than that borefest TIH.

It just proves how stupid and unreliable some of those RT ratings can be.

If they would have centered the movie around Hal and Sinestros reltionship it would have been great. Everything to make a great sequel has already been setup. Just need WB to get off their asses and make this happen.

Less earth and more intergalatic adventures. This planet is boring compared to the fantastical unknown of the rest of the galaxy.

Last edited:

If they would have centered the movie around Hal and Sinestros reltionship it would have been great. Everything to make a great sequel has already been setup. Just need WB to get off their asses and make this happen.

Less earth and more intergalatic adventures. This planet is boring compared to the fantastical unknown of the rest of the galaxy.
TIH was boring to me too, but I can't say GL was a better movie. I didn't see GL in the cinema but I saw Incredible Hulk, and I remember enjoying it a little more. But maybe that just has to do with the experience in a theater.

If they did that (focused on Sinestro vs Hal for the last half of the movie) and ditched a bunch of the other characters that were in it, it would have been a better movie than Hulk. But that wasn't the case.

Even so, the CG sucked hard, the "costume" if u can call it that...sucked hard. The dialogue? It was pure "amateur hour". They had a decent Reynolds and a very good Sinestro in Mark Strong. Blake Lively was OK, and that's fine too.

But here's the thing. If they had a director like Del Toro or Abrams with an actor like Chris Pine playing Hal Jordan vs. Mark Strong's Sinestro. With a physical suit made for them...a better effects team...and focused on the origin in just Act 1. And took it seriously? That would have been a fantastic sci-fi-action movie. It would have been on par with the quality of Man Of Steel/TDK-Trilogy. Well u know what I mean....at least in terms of having it in the same continuity.

It's a bloody shame. It actually pisses me off as a write this.

well I was talking about before the 2011 GL movie. Stewart might have been more known back then.

But now, (post-GL 2011, and the GL tv show), Hal Jordan is definitely more known, as your google fight indicated.

I don't think that it was the character that had anything to do with the success or failure of the film "Green Lantern", but rather it was the marketing. The film was initially written and produced to be like Iron Man. Hal Jordan was to be a cocky, irresponsible person who fell upon a ring with great powers. His girlfriend was the head of a company that manufactured weapons for the defense industrial complex and the story surrounded Jordan's struggle to show courrage and accept his role as a hero (kind of like Iron Man). The true fans of the comic after seeing the first trailer were not pleased with the story line and wanted to see more of the Green Lantern Corps. In the follow on trailer the producers made it look like the Corps would be featured in the film, but in actuality, they were sparingly used. The marketing was confusing, the film was not quite as advertised and received poor word of mouth (or word of text). Had they used John Stewart instead of Hal Jordan, I seriously doubt that it would have changed anything. Thus, we shouldn't really looking at a character change as a solution to the real problem.

You would have had Bale/Cavill/Pine already set. Then just cast Gosling & Blunt (or Collins) for the other two. And there's your lineup. Stupid WB.

I don't think that it was the character that had anything to do with the success or failure of the film "Green Lantern", but rather it was the marketing. The film was initially written and produced to be like Iron Man. Hal Jordan was to be a cocky, irresponsible person who fell upon a ring with great powers. His girlfriend was the head of a company that manufactured weapons for the defense industrial complex and the story surrounded Jordan's struggle to show courrage and accept his role as a hero (kind of like Iron Man). The true fans of the comic after seeing the first trailer were not pleased with the story line and wanted to see more of the Green Lantern Corps. In the follow on trailer the producers made it look like the Corps would be featured in the film, but in actuality, they were sparingly used. The marketing was confusing, the film was not quite as advertised and received poor word of mouth (or word of text). Had they used John Stewart instead of Hal Jordan, I seriously doubt that it would have changed anything. Thus, we shouldn't really looking at a character change as a solution to the real problem.
That's exactly it too. It was all about creating DC's version of Iron Man to get a start on Justice League in the same way that Downey begun the Avengers ride.

It's the fault of marketing, writing, producing, etc. Not the character. I will defend Reynolds to a degree cuz I thought he did an alright job, but casting him is also a problem. People look at him as a comedy guy before considering him a "dramatic actor".

It was destined to fail.

TIH was boring to me too, but I can't say GL was a better movie. I didn't see GL in the cinema but I saw Incredible Hulk, and I remember enjoying it a little more. But maybe that just has to do with the experience in a theater.

If they did that (focused on Sinestro vs Hal for the last half of the movie) and ditched a bunch of the other characters that were in it, it would have been a better movie than Hulk. But that wasn't the case.

Even so, the CG sucked hard, the "costume" if u can call it that...sucked hard. The dialogue? It was pure "amateur hour". They had a decent Reynolds and a very good Sinestro in Mark Strong. Blake Lively was OK, and that's fine too.

But here's the thing. If they had a director like Del Toro or Abrams with an actor like Chris Pine playing Hal Jordan vs. Mark Strong's Sinestro. With a physical suit made for them...a better effects team...and focused on the origin in just Act 1. And took it seriously? That would have been a fantastic sci-fi-action movie. It would have been on par with the quality of Man Of Steel/TDK-Trilogy. Well u know what I mean....at least in terms of having it in the same continuity.

It's a bloody shame. It actually pisses me off as a write this.
Exactly, so much potential wasted. When it was staring them right in the face.

Pine was one of their choices too, but I think he either knew it was going to be crap because of the whole approach or he was booked with other projects that were more interesting for him.

Either way, I'm hoping that Star Trek, as a franchise, gets put on the back burner for a while (instead of some director coming in and taking over for a 3rd)...and Chris Pine is contacted to play Hal Jordan in JL.

I hope Star Wars is the new focus because I don't like the idea of Star Trek & Star Wars working at the same time. Especially by the same director. So it could be a good opportunity for WB to reach out to Pine.

That's exactly it too. It was all about creating DC's version of Iron Man to get a start on Justice League in the same way that Downey begun the Avengers ride.

It's the fault of marketing, writing, producing, etc. Not the character. I will defend Reynolds to a degree cuz I thought he did an alright job, but casting him is also a problem. People look at him as a comedy guy before considering him a "dramatic actor".

It was destined to fail.

I agree with you about Reynolds. He did have the physique to be Hal Jordan, but the mainstream moviegoers expected him to be funny, when his role in the film didn't call for it.

Pine was one of their choices too, but I think he either knew it was going to be crap because of the whole approach or he was booked with other projects that were more interesting for him.

Either way, I'm hoping that Star Trek, as a franchise, gets put on the back burner for a while (instead of some director coming in and taking over for a 3rd)...and Chris Pine is contacted to play Hal Jordan in JL.

I hope Star Wars is the new focus because I don't like the idea of Star Trek & Star Wars working at the same time. Especially by the same director. So it could be a good opportunity for WB to reach out to Pine.

The truth of the matter is that although Pine did speak to Donald DeLine (one of the producers) and Pam Dixon (the casting director), there was no offer made to him for the part. He didn't even get to read for it. He couldn't have had an opinion on the project or the role (good or bad) since he never even had the opportunity to see the script.

Oh ok. So that means WB were even bigger idiots than I thought. They jumped on Reynolds instead. Reynolds should have been with Bradley Cooper as backups, asked to audition, etc. Pine should have been the guy they went after more than anyone else.

Oh ok. So that means WB were even bigger idiots than I thought. They jumped on Reynolds instead. Reynolds should have been with Bradley Cooper as backups, asked to audition, etc. Pine should have been the guy they went after more than anyone else.

That's just hindsight. Reynolds was a hot property back then just like Cooper, Timberlake, and Pine. Cooper read for the part but screwed it up by using a Batman voice during his screen test (Cooper even admitted that Reynolds was perfect and that he "looked like a superhero"). Pine doesn't even read comic books, so it would have been a risk having him play a role he was not really familiar with. The WB got the right guy for the role, they just tailored and marketed the film wrong.

Green Lantern wasn't that bad. Sure it could have been great if done right.

I enjoyed it as much as any Marvel movie.
It was awful.

Not really. They've been way off b4 but they got this one pretty much right. Hulk was an enjoyable film. It wasn't the best film ever, but it looks like it when you compare it to crap like GL

I had some fun in this thread. You might also.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=453267&page=21

Yes, and the new Justice League film is scheduled for after 2013. Right now Hal Jordan is more popular. Even back in 2007, there were those who were against having John Stewart in the picture.
& there were those who were against having Hal. The iron was still hotter for a Stewart movie back then than it is for Hal now. WB has spent(wasted) a fortune on promoting Hal. With all the money they've spent that google fight should've been even more one-sided because they haven't spent even a quarter of that on Stewart. In any case, Hal's still not popular enough for it to matter. He's still associated w/the biggest flop of 2011 and his animated series(which is kaput) wasn't exactly a ratings magnet. Hal will not be missed at all by the GA.

Last edited:
John Stewart or ditch Green Lantern for the first movie. That's the way to go I think. Hal is too much of a flop in people's minds at this point.

It just proves how stupid and unreliable some of those RT ratings can be..

How is it "stupid"? RT is simply an aggregate collection of movie reviews from reviewers of different pedigrees all over the internet from all the corners of the world. And more of those critics found IH enjoyable but not GL. This lack of enjoyment could've been informed by any context, be it GL's place among the other comic films of its year, or increasing tiredness of the formula and tropes of the genre.

How is it "stupid"? RT is simply an aggregate collection of movie reviews from reviewers of different pedigrees all over the internet from all the corners of the world. And more of those critics found IH enjoyable but not GL. This lack of enjoyment could've been informed by any context, be it GL's place among the other comic films of its year, or increasing tiredness of the formula and tropes of the genre.

It's not the same group of critics that review these films, though. That's partly what makes it unreliable.

It's not the same group of critics that review these films, though. That's partly what makes it unreliable.

What do you mean? The aggregate number of reviews might differ by ten or so, the big publication reviews might be done by a different reviewer, but other than that it's the same.

What do you mean? The aggregate number of reviews might differ by ten or so, the big publication reviews might be done by a different reviewer, but other than that it's the same.

You change the make up of the reviewers and you get a different result. That's like comparing the voters of the Regan era to that of today. They have different tastes now as opposed to then.

You change the make up of the reviewers and you get a different result. That's like comparing the voters of the Regan era to that of today. They have different tastes now as opposed to then.

Dude, it's a difference of three years. Comparing it to Regan era politics to today is a bit over the top. Plus, even if there is a 2% change in the make up of RT critics, does that invalidate their opinions? Films are, after all, not critiqued in a vacuum, they are very much informed by their context.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"