Justice League Re-cast Hal Jordan for JL movie? Yay or Nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chiwetel Ejiofor for John Stewart.

chiwetel_ejiofor.jpg
Should definitely be on the shortlist.

ЯɘvlveR;25762701 said:
common sense would say so but iron man 2 sucked almost as hard as gl and that hasn't stopped anyone from throwing their money at iron man 3.

Iron Man 2 only sucked for people who built it up in their minds that it was going to be the greatest superhero movie of all time.

ЯɘvlveR;25762701 said:
common sense would say so but iron man 2 sucked almost as hard as gl and that hasn't stopped anyone from throwing their money at iron man 3.
The movie would have been hurt had Avengers not exploded last year and made people forget.

They didn't take Hal seriously because the film didn't work for them. It has nothing to do with Hal as a character, especially considering that he was written differently in the movie than he is in the comic books. Perhaps a comic book accurate Hal (a mana LITERALLY without fear, a take-charge, born leader and a James T. Kirk who hits on anything that walks) wouldn't have worked either, but you don't know that for sure. Just like you also don't know that John Stewart (even a 100% comic book accurate one) would have been received any better than Hal was.
I want J.Stewart to be JLU accurate, but I get your point. I've said it b4 myself. The whole GL concept might not work w/the audience. I just think a hardcore marine has more of a chance than a test pilot w/green dominatrix mask
I wouldn't normally put it on Reynolds, but when you think about it, maybe we should put SOME of the blame on this guy. If there's a pattern, 3 comic book movies that he chose to do, that all turned out a complete joke. Obviously the guy has no idea what a good script is. At least when it comes to the genre.
You have a good point. RR does pick a lot of garbage comic flicks
. Now I reeeeeeeally don't wanna see him in JL. Bad omen x1000
ЯɘvlveR;25762701 said:

The movie would have been hurt had Avengers not exploded last year and made people forget.
Ditto. And IM2 didn't suck anywhere near as much as GL did.
Chiwetel Ejiofor for John Stewart.

chiwetel_ejiofor.jpg

Pissed that I didn't think of that 1st. Good pick!

Last edited:
it sucked to me. debating the level of suckage between the two films from person to person is ridiculous. they both sucked as far as I'm concerned.

You're voicing your opinion. I'm voicing mine. "Suck" is a strong word when talking about IM2. The perception I get from most ratings sites is "average" to "good". I'd honestly say it was average. GL on the other hand sucks ass. Most sites/people say it does and I agree.

I can say the feeling of disappointment I had after seeing IM2 sucked. It was far more disappointing to me than GL because I expected IM2 to be pretty good & I expected GL to be pretty bad the instant I heard about the characters used in it.

Iron Man 2 only sucked for people who built it up in their minds that it was going to be the greatest superhero movie of all time.
I didn't really have any expectations and I thought it sucked. GL was worse though.

Let's be honest here, nobody saw Green Lantern.

Reboot it but ****ing bring back Mark Strong.

Lots of people saw it, and many people bought in on DVD/Blu-ray. It's one of those movies that inspires mixed feelings from the fanbase.

The questions for JLA don't surround the GL movie's rep as much as whether Reynolds could be convinced to come back (probably not), and whether Hal Jordan is the right choice among the various Earth GLs.

I honestly think any of the three main GLs could work on film (Hal, John or Kyle) if they are written well. All of them are engaging characters. I think the problem with Hal as he was portrayed in the GL movie was they made him more like Wally West than Hal Jordan. It's an easy mistake to make; both characters are smartass womanizers. But I think the trick to making Hal work is to also give him that born leader mentality. He has to come off like a guy who could take charge of the entire GL corps and lead them into battle. Even though I liked Reynolds in the role, I have to admit it's hard to picture him as that type of character. But he didn't write the script, so who knows? Maybe he could have pulled it off had Hal been written better.

Wait a minute. I saw "Green Lantern" (I also own it on video). If I said I didn't I would be lying.

I keep going back and forth on this topic. I just re-watched Green Lantern again last night with the wife. The reason that I had wanted to see GL rebooted was because of the inconsistencies that it would have had within the MoS universe. They reference a Superman birthday party, but later on Amanda Waller mentions that Abin Sur is the first alien lifeform that humanity has been in contact with. Can we simply interpret that as the first alien lifeform that they're able to experiment on/dissect? This is assuming that MoS has already happened. That's the big question to me as to whether it "fits" or not.

Personally, I'm leaning towards including it with the new DCU. I found it more entertaining than The Incredible Hulk or Iron Man 2 & 3, so it certainly hasn't hit the floor. If Reynolds doesn't want to continue playing the character, then I'd want them to recast a new Hal for a Justice League movie but maintain the same continuity. We have an origin, we have an awesome build-up to a Sinestro showdown and it allows the Justice League story to focus more on the new characters. Whudduya think?

Last edited:
Agree with you all the way, DChero. So they ****ed up the first movie. Things can only get better for the sequel IMO.

Agree with you all the way, DChero. So they ****ed up the first movie. Things can only get better for the sequel IMO.

Yeah, I mean I'm really torn with GL. They put out a pretty rough story, but they gave us a lot to build on in the future. I like the cast, the yellow ring was just introduced, and they didn't ruin any villains that would be used in the future (unless you're a Parallax die-hard).

Let's be honest, WB isn't going to dump that much money into a Green Lantern movie again anytime soon. His next appearance(s) will either be a cross-over cameo or in a Justice League movie.

At one point, I actually thought that Sinestro could end up being a great Justice League villain. The way I imagine it, the opening to the movie could be the Sinestro Corps taking out Oa. From there, Sinestro can take control of the Manhunters. This could tie J'onn and Hal in within the first few minutes of the movie. I just don't know how popular that idea would be within the "comic fan" world..

It's a cool idea but I think the focus then goes on Green Lantern and Martian Manhunter. Almost as if they're the main cats in this whole thing, with the others supporting their fight.

It's gotta be the whole group on the same level for me or Superman/Batman at the forefront.

It's a cool idea but I think the focus then goes on Green Lantern and Martian Manhunter. Almost as if they're the main cats in this whole thing, with the others supporting their fight.

It's gotta be the whole group on the same level for me or Superman/Batman at the forefront.

Agreed, which is why I think this works. Hal could be shown barely surviving the assault on Oa from the Sinestro Corps. Once the manhunters are activated, they go after Earth and encounter Superman and the globe's various military defenses. Superman is overwhelmed, but gets saved by J'onn. From there we can introduce Batman, Wonder Woman and Flash.

I'm thinking this up as I type, but I can see better minds than mine really turning this into something exciting that would make the GA want to keep up with all of the characters. In short, I'm treating the Green Lantern movie the same way that the Avengers treated Thor. It's part of a greater plot and means more than just an origin.

I don't think it can work because MOS is about first alien contact, and it seems like GL is about the same thing. It's a contradiction. It's also fairly obvious that Reynolds doesn't want to come back and the studio most likely wont take him back. The movie bombed big time. The studio probably looks at it like this generation's Batman & Robin. Not as bad but like I said "this generations".

I would just reboot with a new Hal or John Stewart. He doesn't even have to be 1 of the League members in the first movie, he can be introduced for all I care, then brought into the sequel.

All I care about with JL is Superman, Batman (Bale or rebooted in the hands of Snyder), Wonder Woman and Flash (Barry Allen). As long as they get them right, then im fine with the rest.

I don't think it can work because MOS is about first alien contact, and it seems like GL is about the same thing. It's a contradiction. It's also fairly obvious that Reynolds doesn't want to come back and the studio most likely wont take him back. The movie bombed big time. The studio probably looks at it like this generation's Batman & Robin. Not as bad but like I said "this generations".

I would just reboot with a new Hal or John Stewart. He doesn't even have to be 1 of the League members in the first movie, he can be introduced for all I care, then brought into the sequel.

All I care about with JL is Superman, Batman (Bale or rebooted in the hands of Snyder), Wonder Woman and Flash (Barry Allen). As long as they get them right, then im fine with the rest.

In regard to the first "alien contact" line, it can be debated that Amanda Waller was referring to being able to study it. Superman is referenced earlier on, even if it is just as a celebrity (or fictional character). If Green Lantern took place right after MoS (assuming that the U.S. military doesn't have the chance to study a kryptonian, then I think it works.

I agree that Reynolds doesn't seem like he wants to be back and the studio doesn't seem to be pursuing that option anyway. A simply recast in the spirit of The Incredible Hulk would be fine. What I don't want to waste is the way that the universe was advanced with having the GL Corps, Oa, Sinestro, etc all being introduced. That's huge because it introduces alien races far beyond kryptonians. To me, it's not the Justice League without a Green Lantern representative.

The point that I'm really trying to make is that the Green Lantern is probably going to be neglected anyway. Why not run with the positives of what we got?

PS: I feel like I'm talking myself into this GL thing more and more, haha!

I just don't want that movie or tone in the same continuity as MOS lol. I want either MOS to be the first movie of this universe that shows us what the tone is going to be like with the others or if anything precedes it, it should be TDK trilogy.

I just don't think it meshes well. GL was style over substance and its style wasn't even good. To me, it belongs with something lighter like Superman Returns. I can see Adrianne Palicki, Ryan Reynolds and Brandon Routh in the same universe. With like a Val Kilmer batman lol, or Armie Hammer. I just don't see Cavill's world meshing well with GL (2011).

Im more into the idea of rebooting with John Stewart to be honest. It's an opposite direction from 2011's Hal Jordan, in terms of the seriousness of the character and his race.

Last edited:
I just don't want that movie or tone in the same continuity as MOS lol. I want either MOS to be the first movie of this universe that shows us what the tone is going to be like with the others or if anything precedes it, it should be TDK trilogy.

I just don't think it meshes well. GL was style over substance and its style wasn't even good. To me, it belongs with something lighter like Superman Returns. I can see Adrianne Palicki, Ryan Reynolds and Brandon Routh in the same universe. With like a Val Kilmer batman lol, or Armie Hammer. I just don't see Cavill's world meshing well with GL (2011).

Im more into the idea of rebooting with John Stewart to be honest. It's an opposite direction from 2011's Hal Jordan, in terms of the seriousness of the character and his race.

It's definitely coming down to personal preference. To me, John Stewart as the first GL included in the Justice League would p*ss me off, because I'm not too keen on that character. If he was introduced later on, then I could live with it.

I never found the tone of Green Lantern to be all that light. When compared to the tones in Batman & Robin or Sam Raimi's Spider-man, I think it would be said to be much darker. Hector Hammond burns his father to death, Parallax disintegrates, multiple Lanterns, Sinestro is perfectly balanced for a MoS or TDK style of movie. What really killed the movie was the dialogue (script) and direction that certainly leaves something to be desired. I feel like it can be redeemed.

Nah. There is no redemption for that mess. That'd be like Marvel using Howard the Duck as the foundation for a shared universe. Burn it! Burn it with fire!

Ditto

I don't think that WB will ever attempt to reboot Green Lantern movie, they will let the Ryan Reynolds movie serve as origin story of Hal Jordan.

Now, it would be time to just acknowledge that Hal Jordan exists but he is on some important GL mission and is unavailable.

Time to introduce John Stewart as new GL in a Justice League movie, only thing they may bring back from the first GL movie would be Mark Strong as Sinestro and Angela Basset as Amanda Waller.

If they make a spin-off GL movie, then it will feature John Stewart and a new actor as Hal Jordan.

Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively are out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"