Justice League Re-cast Hal Jordan for JL movie? Yay or Nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait a minute. I saw "Green Lantern" (I also own it on video). If I said I didn't I would be lying.

Even though I thought it could have been better, I bought it on Bluray the day it came out. I'm just happy that there are two PG-13 animated GL flicks and a live-action flick. I really never thought it would happen.

Chiwetel Ejiofor for John Stewart.

chiwetel_ejiofor.jpg

too bad marvel will snatch him up for black panther ;)

He wont be Black Panther, that's gonna go to a younger unknown .

It will either be him or somebody around that age and status.

I'm still hoping for Chad Coleman if Stewart is in the JLA flick.

Normally I would say bogus to cosmicbook but those quotes from John PLUS the stuff im hearing about Arrow using that version of GL in their show...kinda makes me believe a bit of it.

Maybe Reynolds really is coming back. If so, I would hope Goyer/Snyder are the ones who write/direct him in JL and do a makeover on that suit. I would trust them with re-arranging Reynolds' take on the character. And I would possibly do a retcon where it seems like it's just being soft-rebooted.

At this point it wouldn't surprise me if they already have Cavill, Reynolds and Bale locked in while knowing what theyre going to do with Flash (they have concept art) and Wonder Woman (plans for a tv series/film). Or even Snyder creating the new Batman for this universe.

Normally I would say bogus to cosmicbook but those quotes from John PLUS the stuff im hearing about Arrow using that version of GL in their show...kinda makes me believe a bit of it.

Maybe Reynolds really is coming back. If so, I would hope Goyer/Snyder are the ones who write/direct him in JL and do a makeover on that suit. I would trust them with re-arranging Reynolds' take on the character. And I would possibly do a retcon where it seems like it's just being soft-rebooted.

At this point it wouldn't surprise me if they already have Cavill, Reynolds and Bale locked in while knowing what theyre going to do with Flash (they have concept art) and Wonder Woman (plans for a tv series/film). Or even Snyder creating the new Batman for this universe.

Reynolds probably did sign on for multiple films so it's sort of a "pay or play" kind of thing. I myself don't think it was his acting that hurt that film but more that it 1) not made the way everyone expected and 2) needed more brand awareness.

He's not my first pick for Hal Jordan. That will always go to Bradley Cooper or Chris Pine. But Reynolds can be redeemed with Snyder and Goyer handling it.

Reynolds always does a great job as a supporting character, even in horrible movies, he's the highlight in that role. Like Wolverine and Blade. But as a leading man I don't think he can do a superhero movie without going into comedy mode. Yes, I blame the writing and direction for GL, but I don't trust Ryan on his own within this genre.

He might be able to work in a JL after all.

Ha! See, the one time CBN report news and it's not even news, just a link to another site. Great super-sleuthing there.

Anyway, considering Johns doesn't, hasn't, and probably never will have any real pull on the WB side of things, I wouldn't put a massive amount of stock into what he says as of yet.

Ha! See, the one time CBN report news and it's not even news, just a link to another site. Great super-sleuthing there.

Anyway, considering Johns doesn't, hasn't, and probably never will have any real pull on the WB side of things, I wouldn't put a massive amount of stock into what he says as of yet.

The links are to other stories they scooped. It adds some credibility to what they are saying because they predicted it earlier and it now seems to be coming to pass as truth (although they have suggested lots of scenarios). They even have a link to a previous story they covered that identifies the plot line for "Green Lantern 2". If they are not full of themselves, then this might be the way the next 5 DC films release:

• Man of Steel (6/14/2013) Zack Snyder; David Goyer & Christopher Nolan; HenryCavill (already happening)

• Lobo (2014) Brad Peyton; TBA (I don't think this will happen)

• Justice League (2015)

• Man of Steel 2 (2016)

• The Batman (2016)

• Wonder Woman (2017) TBA (Most Likely Nicolas Winding Refn); Michael Goldenburg

• The Flash (2017) TBA; Greg Berlanti, Marc Gruggenheim & Michael Green; TBA

• Green Lantern 2 (2017)
If Justice League turns out to be a disappointment, then don't expect Green Lantern 2, The Flash or Wonder Woman to happen that soon although, I believe that Man of Steel 2 and The Batman will still happen (maybe one year apart).

Last edited:
Like you said, they predicted lots of other scenarios. Having an accuracy rate of 5% doesn't make you a good news outlet. Their record for The Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel attest to their "credibility" with over 30 incorrect "exclusive" scoops.

I like Bradley Cooper, but I really don't think he'd be that much of an improvement over Reynolds for Hal. People complain about Reynolds because they felt like he came off like too much of a *****e. And well, what type of character does Cooper EXCEL at? Granted, I know that Cooper is capable of playing non-*****y characters, but chances are, if they cast him, it would be because they'd want him to do a heroic variation of his Hangover character.

Yes, but that's not the problem. The problem was the writing, direction and everything else. Cooper would still be a new face and a more box-office friendly face, and a better actor.

That's only if they understand that the writing had problems. My fear is that they might be of the mindset that all they need to do is cast the right actor and all the problems will be washed away. This is WB we're talking about here. They don't always make the right decisions.

I doubt that. Im sure theyre well aware of the problems. Especially when someone like Goyer comes out and says if he did GL he would do it better. That's referencing the writing.

But that doesn't matter because he's not getting another movie before JL. It IS all about casting now, because there shouldn't be a problem when Snyder/Goyer are taking care of Hal and writing him as a side character, not the lead. Reynolds, Cooper, whoever.

Ryan Reynolds was great casting for the character, just give him a script with heart and I'm sure he'd be perfect as Hal Jordan

I wouldn't say perfect, there's some better choices, but he's definitely a good pick for Hal. It was a no brainer to have him on the shortlist.

I wouldn't mind if he came back under a completely different crew. And maybe retcon a few things, because that movie sucked, so who cares what gets retconned or "soft-rebooted".

I wouldn't say perfect, there's some better choices, but he's definitely a good pick for Hal. It was a no brainer to have him on the shortlist.

I wouldn't mind if he came back under a completely different crew. And maybe retcon a few things, because that movie sucked, so who cares what gets retconned or "soft-rebooted".

I don't even thing that anything needs to be retconned. The closest may be the infamous Amanda Waller line that we've been discussing, but even that can be interpreted to fit. They just need to move on. In my opinion, the handling of the villains was the worst part of the first movie. We'll obviously see new ones in the second/JL. I think that the fix just comes with a new writer/director duo. If the story is better, the performances will feed on it.

I would be fine with a recast but the blame shouldnt be on Reynolds for GLs failure. Everything around him was wrong except Mark Strong. Blake was terrible. Both villians were some of the worst villians in history. The effects were outrageous bad. His suit was laughable. With all that wrong no actor could carry a film that bad. If they go for a replacement then I guess a great pick would be Chris Pine(he could play Flash to but I have been convinced he would be a better Hal).

Or just **** it and cast Idris Elba as John Stewart which would be insane perfect.

Also no matter what happens his suit needs a complete redesign.

Last edited:
Um.. someones ****ing delusional if they think the problems with Green Lantern were with Ryan Reynolds being "*****ey" as Hal.

Maybe it was the awkward badly written interactions, or the sets that were obviously sets, or the terrible story, or the mediocre visuals, or the hilarious main villains, or the scenes with Hals family that don't serve the story at all?

This poll speaks for itself. If the most hardcore fans are torn on whether Ryan should come back, then he probably shouldn't come back. The GA doesn't care if its a new guy, nobody saw the first film, no one will notice if its a new Hal

This poll speaks for itself. If the most hardcore fans are torn on whether Ryan should come back, then he probably shouldn't come back. The GA doesn't care if its a new guy, nobody saw the first film, no one will notice if its a new Hal

I don't really agree here. By this argument, it sounds like they shouldn't revisit the Green Lantern at all.

I actually interpret it the other way. There were a lot of people that saw it, but it looks terrible financially because of the budget ($220m I think it was). If the "hardcore fans" are torn, that's about what to be expected with most of these projects. To most of the GA, I think it has about as much steam as the Incredible Hulk did. This whole reboot craze is really beginning to hurt the superhero genre because we're reaching that point in which we keep retreading on the same stories. How many Superman, Batman and Spider-man origins do we really need?

The thing about the "hardcore fans" is that they're known to deal in absolutes. A movie is either amazing or awful, with very little room in between. To the general audience, the Green Lantern movie is probably forgettable. It's not damaging to the character, it doesn't impact anything outside of make another origin story less important. Reynolds is recognizable, can sell a movie (over $100m for a bad movie), and really played the character well enough to most.

If they want to recast for Justice League, it's not a big deal to me. I don't care that much about Reynolds being in or out. What I don't want is a reboot that does little more than retreads on what we already saw. Since the point of using the Green Lantern is to grow awareness of the character to sell more of the franchise, I feel like we should just fix what we have. To me, The Incredible Hulk was pointless because it was a very similar story to what we had seen just a few years before. I enjoyed The Amazing Spider-man, but did we really need to go through the origin again? I feel like we could have used the extra 40 minutes of screen time to go over more than just tell the audience "hey, this is a different universe."

I actually believe that GL was the kind of movie that did really bad but luckily it was a forgettable experience. Especially for the GA. It's literally the kind of movie that a person who isn't really invested, can see once, and then not remember it even happened a few years later. By the time JL comes out it could be 5 years after the fact.

Ryan Reynolds is still a big name. He wouldn't be the lead. He would come off extremely different due to a new suit and approach.

That was a pretty good point there DChero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"