Justice League Re-cast Hal Jordan for JL movie? Yay or Nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd rather keep him on Supernatural. Also, given his constant use of "Batgrowl" on Supernatural, I don't think he should have the role, it wouldn't exactly boost my confidence.

I look at it from two viewpoints.

I want Reynolds back. I think that Reynolds is very talented actor and given the right material he can give us a very good Hal Jordan. His performance was definitely the best part about GL. So I really hope that they give him a second chance in JL. Also it would be nice to have at least two familiar faces... Cavill and Reynolds, because we all know that Christian Bale isn't coming back as Bats/Bruce.

However, I do realize that if they are trying to reboot the Green Lantern franchise and start anew because of the failure of the first movie then it usually needs to be completely brand new when it comes to all aspects. And that includes casting. So I wouldn't be completely negative towards the idea of a recast.

But if it was up to me, I would bring Reynolds back.

I would say keep Ryan as Hal but make a darker reboot of Green Lantern and called it the Emerald Knight..

i say keep him or replace him with pine if you want to replace him.

Hell No. It would be like copying Marvel (Hulk). Just hope its a different Lantern! :batman:

Marvel didnt recast because the movie wasnt big, they only recasted because they couldnt come to a deal with the orig. actor. So it would be a little different. But Ryan isnt the reason the movie failed.

I say no for recasting. I don't think Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern would ruin the movie. They just need to get the story right. Plus the Green Lantern is still new, it just came out in 2011 and its still fresh in the mind. So keep Ryan Reynolds and I don't want WB to reboot Green Lantern so early.

Bring Ryan back, make him Wally and do away with Hal altogether for another GL who doesn't suck.

Yes.

Ryan Reynolds in my opinion would have been far more fitting to The Flash than Green Lantern.. or Deadpool.

I just visited a thread in the Marvel forums where some poster said that Justice League movie would be cast with no name actors, it is true to some extent.

Cavill is a new face, Batman, Flash and WW would be someone who is young and has had little experience of big budget movies, relatively new actor.

JL needs some well known, talented actors, Ryan Reynolds is one such actor, so keep him.

And I don't think that WB are in any hurry to reboot GL, last GL movie happened 16 months ago.

They should be in a hurry to distance themselves from that godawful mess
do away with Hal altogether for another GL who doesn't suck.
Ditto. Hal's the most easily replaced member. GA wouldn't miss him one bit

Last edited:
The thing I think people are confusing here is that distancing yourself from Ryan isn't necessarily a dig at his performance or at him as an actor. It's a smart business move, trying to distance themselves from the face of arguably the biggest bomb in their company's history.

It's the same reason you won't see a lot of John Carter actors popping up in Disney films in the future.

So I voted yes, but I actually really like Blake as Carol, even if not many did. So much I would be okay with keeping Reynolds

The thing I think people are confusing here is that distancing yourself from Ryan isn't necessarily a dig at his performance or at him as an actor. It's a smart business move, trying to distance themselves from the face of arguably the biggest bomb in their company's history.

It's the same reason you won't see a lot of John Carter actors popping up in Disney films in the future.
Thank you

I am not sure... X-Men Origins:Wolverine was a moderate success financially but failed critically, yet Hugh Jack man is still going to appear in another wolverine movie from Fox Studios.

Terminator Salvation was a failure but still, WB cast Sam Worthington in the sequel to Clash of the Titans.

I voted No, keep Ryan as Hal.
Like other people have said it wasn't his acting it was a poor script.
I personally like the Green Lantern movie, and I'm one of the biggest Green Lantern fans in the state that I live in. I thought they did a decent job with the movie. I like the cgi suit and the performances for the cast.

So in a JL movie I want Reynolds to be Hal.

Tie in the film... sort of.

Reference Hal Jordon and the Corps, etc etc... but move on to John Stewart.

My buddy and I were discussing this yesterday and came up with an idea for all of the characters with the JL... a short film miniseries prequel to JL. For the months leading up to the film, release these episodes online as quick backgrounds for the characters. They would be set up much like Mortal Kombat Legacy. Each character has an 8-10 minute short film to link them to the JL film.

For Green Lantern, show the ring finding John Stewart, him being summoned to the Guardians, they explain what happened with Hal Jordan (whatever path the writers decide), reference to John replacing him and his training beginning. Maybe even toss in a reference to some bigger threat coming to Earth (Darkseid).

Do something similar for Flash and Wonder Woman. Maybe a quick glance of their backstories and a quick battle with a lesser known villain. Even do one with Superman, but have his tie in with Bruce Wayne, them discussing a threat coming and talking about needing Batman (Christian Bale optional).

I am not sure... X-Men Origins:Wolverine was a moderate success financially but failed critically, yet Hugh Jack man is still going to appear in another wolverine movie from Fox Studios.

Terminator Salvation was a failure but still, WB cast Sam Worthington in the sequel to Clash of the Titans.

Green Lantern was a critical and commercial disaster, asking him to reprise the role would be foolish, as it would bring baggage to the film.

Either bring back Reynolds, or cast a John Stewart GL. I really don't find the GL movie to be that horribly bad either, I thought it was a typical "averege" comicbook film(yeah averege isn't great in this genre), and I enjoyed it a lot more than for example Daredevil, Ghost Rider(ugh), Ghostrider 2,Elektra, Wolverine, Blade Trinity, Fantastic Four etc. Maybe that was the biggest problem, that it wasn't anything special. I don't get the hatred over it though. It is a flawed film, that had studio interference, but I still don't understand all the hatred from a big part of the fanboys.

I say recast the part with Gyllenhaal or Gosling if they want to go the big movie star way.

jake-gyllenhaal-24556055.jpg
Ryan-Gosling.jpg

Or with Ackles if they want someone less known.

jensen-ackles.jpg

Last edited:
Either bring back Reynolds, or cast a John Stewart GL. I really don't find the GL movie to be that horribly bad either, I thought it was a typical "averege" comicbook film(yeah averege isn't great in this genre), and I enjoyed it a lot more than for example Daredevil, Ghost Rider(ugh), Ghostrider 2,Elektra, Wolverine, Blade Trinity, Fantastic Four etc. Maybe that was the biggest problem, that it wasn't anything special. I don't get the hatred over it though. It is a flawed film, that had studio interference, but I still don't understand all the hatred from a big part of the fanboys.

Even if you don't think it's that bad, you can't deny that the reaction was highly negative. Critics, fans, and the general public were nearly at total consensus.

I voted yes, but I'm more of a sure. I am confident that Ryan Reynolds can be a good Hal even though everything about the movie is pretty underwhelming. I'd also be interested in a sequel to that movie. Wouldnt lose sleep if neither comes to pass though

It would be tough to sit through another GL origin again so soon. Maybe Reynold's GL could be like Bana's Hulk, and the JL movie is the opportunity to introduce a new take on Hal without going through an origin movie all over again.

It would be tough to sit through another GL origin again so soon. Maybe Reynold's GL could be like Bana's Hulk, and the JL movie is the opportunity to introduce a new take on Hal without going through an origin movie all over again.

There have been 3 Hulk actors in the last 10 years, and they never repeated his origins. Replacing Reynolds doesn't mean ditching the origin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"