Justice League Re-cast Hal Jordan for JL movie? Yay or Nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The idea of the suit was a good one, it's just that the finalized version looked like a computer rendered body with Ryan Reynolds head attached. It just didn't look convincing.

Recast. It wouldnt be the end of the world if Ryan Reynolds came back, but recast is the best option I think.

This man for Hal Jordan
7pXPbK1.jpg

I'm probably alone in this but I actually liked the idea of the organic looking suit. Even the toes, I didn't mind the toes. Felt like it made sense. More sense than a guy conjuring up spandex or leather and boots around his body anyway.

This way seemed more personal as the suit just represents the muscles and anatomy of the wearer. That way you can have unique looking suits for all the races. It should have been a combination of practical and CGI though. But the idea was pretty neat.

I agree I like the suit as well. It could have been less anatomical, but I like that it looked like a GL construct cause that is what it is

He is almost same age as Ryan Reynolds and he has also done comedy movies, so not much difference, and if a JL movie is made after a period of 8 years, both will get old by then.

He is almost same age as Ryan Reynolds and he has also done comedy movies, so not much difference, and if a JL movie is made after a period of 8 years, both will get old by then.

So what if they are a little older

TIH didn't "Bomb" it underperformed. It squeaked by with a profit on dvd/ Blu-ray. It left theaters with a deficit of about $50-60 M, and made that in video sales. Critical consensus wasn't great, 66% on RT, but not a complete bomb.

Green Lantern left theatres with a deficit of close to $200 M. It's probably still in the hole $150 M, and was the worst reviewed big budget movie of 2011.
Ditto

^ Yep.

The script and the uninteresting villains were the main culprits, then comes the editing and general designs selected.

Blake Lively was horrible, and Tim Robbins seemed asleep in every scene.

^ True, although i didn't hate the film.

Doesn't it annoy you when big n awesome actors play small parts in comic book movies just for the extra paycheck. Tim Robbins in GL, Frances McDormant in Transformers...etc.

Lively wasn't anything of note, yet she wasn't awful either. I would honestly not hesitate to place her above Malin Akerman, Kate Bosworth and Katie Holmes in terms of DC love interests.

Damn, DC needs to step their female game up. That is a woeful list of bad acting and writing.

Lively wasn't anything of note, yet she wasn't awful either. I would honestly not hesitate to place her above Malin Akerman, Kate Bosworth and Katie Holmes in terms of DC love interests.

Damn, DC needs to step their female game up. That is a woeful list of bad acting and writing.

Really? I don't think she deserves to be placed anywhere near Kate Bosworth. Lively was solid in GL. Holmes I'm not a big fan of but she s fine in Begins, don't really have a problem with Akerman in Watchmen either. Bosworth was probably the worst female casting in a modern day superhero, she was so miscast. If we're just talking female casting I think Marion Cotilard in Rises deserves to be on the bad list but on the flip side Hathaway was fantastic as Catwoman.

Blake Lively was horrible, and Tim Robbins seemed asleep in every scene.

Don't agree on Lively but I agree on Robbins, he really phoned it in and hammed it up.

Last edited:
There's pretty much nothing wrong with Blake Lively's performance. She made a fantastic Carol Ferris.

I've never understood the hate for Bosworth. She was clearly not depicting the feisty, badass Lois Lane we've come to know, and she too, was solid in her role without a whole lot to work with.

No recast, for me. Reynolds was not the problem with the GL movie and imo he has all the tools to make a great Hal.

There's pretty much nothing wrong with Blake Lively's performance. She made a fantastic Carol Ferris.

I've never understood the hate for Bosworth. She was clearly not depicting the feisty, badass Lois Lane we've come to know, and she too, was solid in her role without a whole lot to work with.

Kate Bosworth was playing angry and hurt Lois Lane which was according to the script written, she was not portrayed as feisty, fearless reporter that fans expected her to be but, that is not equal to bad acting as many fans assume. :doh:

The main problem was the casting choice, she did not look old enough to be an experienced reporter who has won a Pulitzer and a mother of a five year old, which the story demanded, in addition her scenes with Routh never looked good.

Katie Holmes gets unnecessary blame for nothing, she was just O.K. in Batman Begins, she looked like Bruce Wayne's childhood sweetheart, who could tell Bruce what she thinks.

Granted, she just does not have much acting range and she would have struggled in Rachel Dawes' role in TDK, so it was a good thing that Maggie Gyllenhaal took the role in TDK.

Blake Lively did alright as Carol Ferris in GL (IMO.) Malin Ackerman was also alright in Watchmen.

Apart from Marion Collitrad's last scene (death scene) she was as good as any other suitable replacement anyone can think of in TDKR, she was not bad at all.

Kate Bosworth was playing angry and hurt Lois Lane which was according to the script written, she was not portrayed as feisty, fearless reporter that fans expected her to be but, that is not equal to bad acting as many fans assume. :doh:

The main problem was the casting choice, she did not look old enough to be an experienced reporter who has won a Pulitzer and a mother of a five year old, which the story demanded, in addition her scenes with Routh never looked good.

Katie Holmes gets unnecessary blame for nothing, she was just O.K. in Batman Begins, she looked like Bruce Wayne's childhood sweetheart, who could tell Bruce what she thinks.

Granted, she just does not have much acting range and she would have struggled in Rachel Dawes' role in TDK, so it was a good thing that Maggie Gyllenhaal took the role in TDK.

Blake Lively did alright as Carol Ferris in GL (IMO.) Malin Ackerman was also alright in Watchmen.

Apart from Marion Collitrad's last scene (death scene) she was as good as any other suitable replacement anyone can think of in TDKR, she was not bad at all.

I agree with pretty much all of that. Female leads tend to endure so much more internet bashing than their male counterparts (at least in superhero films). The best example is SR. True, Bosworth was miscast; she simply looked too young to be an established, award-winning repoter. And yes, her character was pretty unlikeable, but she did what she could with the role. That's more than I can say for Routh, who came off like a guy who won a walk-on role in big movie through some sort of online sweepstakes. Yet you'll see rant after rant by Routh apologists fans, proclaiming that his performance was brilliant and it was the horrible direction and script that let him down. And while those two elements certainly did him no favors, he has to take some of the blame for looking like a deer in headlights through most of the movie.

He can do it. All boils down to the writing/directing.

No recast, for me. Reynolds was not the problem with the GL movie and imo he has all the tools to make a great Hal.

It's a poor business move. If you're starting a new business venture, you don't remind people of a past failure.

What if the Nolan/Bale/Snyder news is true, and that Nolan wants Ryan Reynolds back in the role? It sounds implausible, but what would you guys say then? That Nolan is stupid, he needs to recast the role or be cautiously optimistic about it?

I can't see Reynolds passing up an opportunity to work with Christopher Nolan, if it was offered to him.

Ryan Reynolds may have done fine as Hal Jordan, but not a Nolan-verse Hal Jordan. He's slightly too goofy. MAYBE The Flash...? Not that I'm saying they should cast him as the flash lol.

Anyway, I'd say just someone slightly more serious.....

someone like Matthew Fox or Michael C Hall... but I guess those are really just TV actors.

Maybe... Sam Worthington?

Maybe do Will Smith as Jon Stewart instead? Avoid reboot-itis.

not too goofy at all ryan does have range you know it wa just his gl script made his hal very quip happy thats like people saying chris cant be a serious character like cap because he was johnny storm

Sam Worthington?

It's proven that he can't carry a film. Man on a Ledge, Wrath of the Titans... Avatar was a behemoth due to the stellar CGI and landmark 3D usage, and not because of Worthington's performance.

It's like saying his co-star Zoe Saldana is the same thing. Outside of Star Trek (where it's an ensemble cast), she is not a household name that puts butts in seats.

Yes I know that's why I was perplexed at the mention of his name.

Green Lantern has to carry the Justice League?

No but I don't think Worthington has much presence or acting range from what I've seen him in aside from maybe The Debt. You don't need a great actor in that part if he's part of the team but you can certainly do a lot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"