Re-cast Mary Jane for ASM3/ASM4

Discussion in 'Spider-Man Sequels' started by MessiahDecoy123, Jun 19, 2013.

1. zeroapoc Eldritch Abomination

Oh I get it. Still a silly phrase.

2. DigificWriter Registered

^ Not really, but to each their own.

3. Majik1387 Registered

Oh I know, and I honestly don't find it mean spirited, just a pointless adjective, in the same sense that some actors are called too pretty boy based on a small facial feature.
    Yep.

4. DigificWriter Registered

@Majik: It's the only way I can think of to describe the type of actresses that would fit into the role of MJ based on what he did with TASM2 and Woodley before the decision was made to hold off on introducing the character.

5. Asteroid-Man Registered

Sarah Gadon was just cast as Mary Jane!

6. DigificWriter Registered

^ No, she hasn't... not until it's officially announced by Sony.

7. SoNicRaDiATioN Registered

When confirmed, I approve.:word:

8. MessiahDecoy123 Psychological Anarchist

Sarah wasn't in my top 3 but I think she's an upgrade from Dunst and Woodley.

She may not be the master thespian they are but Mary Jane has always had a cool personality and stunning good looks.

MJ is a trophy wife (with genuine inner beauty also) to some extent which proves Peter Parker despite being a skinny nerd can still deserve a woman typically reserved for alpha males.

It's not Mary Jane unless most people wonder how did that skinny nerd get a woman like that???

9. DigificWriter Registered

^ The various versions of Mary Jane we've seen over the years proves that you're wrong.

10. MessiahDecoy123 Psychological Anarchist

How so?

I'm not just saying MJ is a hottie.

I'm saying she looks out of Peter Parker's league cosmetically to on-lookers but readers know she's well suited for Peter because she's beautiful on the inside too.

You need both the cosmetic and inner-beauty elements to properly convey Mary Jane's significance.

Not just one or the other.

11. SoNicRaDiATioN Registered

Have you seen any films with Gadon Messiah? She was excellent in A Dangerous Method and good in a small role in Cosmopolis as well. She's got some acting chops. Small sample size to go on but I certainly don't think she's inferior to Dunst and Woodley from an acting standpoint.

12. MessiahDecoy123 Psychological Anarchist

Well that's even better news.

13. HanShotFirst Registered

Heh funny because I never percieved Pete as skinny nerd. I watched pretty much every Spider-man animated series, read some comics and he was always this good-looking guy. Hell, he was even called eyecandy in most recent comics. The way I see it he's slightly below MJ's league. Slightly :woot:

14. ajpro Registered

Melissa Benoist

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Neno_Kos Registered

yes peter was always solid looking guy, but he had personality of geek and looked a bit as one with wearing his glasses. but MJ was always league above him in look and one of most gorgeous women in comics. :word:

16. flower Registered

[​IMG]

here is (Mary) Jane Levy without make up :woot:

honestly you can take any of the 4 girls from The Vampire Diaries (Pheobe,Nina Dobrev,Candice or Claire Holt), have them become redheads and either one would make a good MJ. not to mention they actually manage to shine in that awful show, so imagine how good they would be in something that's actually well written

17. DigificWriter Registered

^ I don't watch TVD, and only recognize Phoebe from having briefly glimpsed parts of a few H2O episodes when my sister and a friend would watch them while the three of us were at work after we'd finished our jobs but couldn't go home quite yet, but nevertheless do think she'd make a great MJ.

18. ArtOfficial Registered

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alyson Michalka was always my choice. Just give her red hair and I thought she would be good. She was in "Easy A" with Emma Stone and that movie with Leighton Meester called "The Roomate" too.

19. ParkerPeters Mighty Amazing

She was great is Easy A. Not MJ though.

20. Sym Registered

Mary Elizabeth Winstead

[​IMG]

or Amber Heard (She'd be a good Felicia Hardy/Black Cat too)

[​IMG]

21. WarriorDreamer Registered

Yep, I wanted Amber Heard too. I'm sure some will say she's too 'old' now, or at least she looks too old against Andrew. I still wouldn't mind if it was her. Basically any actress who is under 26, white, with blue/ green eyes, pretty, nice body and can portray a range of emotions and can be fiesty, etc, is acceptable for me as the character.

Jane Levy would be fine, as would a whole other lot of actresses. But the truth is, probably who they end up re-casting (if this is the case) will probably be someone no-one has heard of, no-one in the public eye and no-one from any particularly big movies. I think its basically pointless to cast Mary Jane, since 9 times out of 10, it will be someone no-one has heard of.

I just hope she can obviously act well and is at least pretty, lol.

22. docsmooth73 Registered

Molly C. Quinn from "Castle" would be an intriguing choice. She is a gorgeous redhead and has comic knowledge.

23. Joined:
    Nov 20, 2009
    I for one think having MJ as an older woman(slightly) might actually work well for the character. I posted this in another thread but it totally applies here and I've made some adjustments having read some of the comments here.

I think for MJ they should do a twist on the usual character of MJ. Mainly because I don't really want the same kind of character I saw with Kirsten Dunst's Mary-Jane Watson or another rehash of Emma Stone's Gwen Stacy.

So let's say Peter's roughly 16-17(I think that's Peter's age in the movie yes? Correct me if I'm wrong), what if Mary-Jane in the new movies was roughly 20-ish and a bit further along in life compared to Peter(like halfway through college or something)?

You can still preserve the key elements that make Mary-Jane the character we like plus unlike Dunst's Mary-Jane, she should be the type of person who makes the first move as what comic book MJ does yes?

Basically what I'm saying is let's make Mary-Jane the slightly older and confident woman/bad girl-type woman in Peter's life who sees something in Peter that she likes and is very forward with him despite the girlfriend in Peter's life. Deep down she's a good person and she does later grow to eventually love him. I think this would be good as Peter(and the audience) is presented with two girls who are polar opposites which could provide some interesting interactions and clashes. I'm pretty sure I summed up Mary Jane yes?

So to give an idea of what I envision Mary-Jane to be if I got to cast the character here's a possible direction they could go.

Leighton Meester(my own suggestion)
    [​IMG]

Amber Heard
    [​IMG]

Mary Elizabeth Winstead(she's definitely giving off a Mary-Jane vibe from Sky High)
    [​IMG]

24. Majik1387 Registered

Sure to Heard, hell no to the older idea.

25. bapi Registered

Marielle Jaffe from Scream 4:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]