Rebels Rebels Season 2: An Open Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other thing I didn't realize was that Greg Weisman stepped down after season 1, and ironically I think the second season has had much better writing :/

I don't know. This season was very uneven in quality. It had either great, memorable episodes or very boring ones, while season one was more consistent. Plus, his scripts for season one episodes didn't even FEEL like Weisman scripts.

I enjoyed this season more, and thought it was an imrovement. Not that season 1 was bad, but this season feels more polished.

I have enjoyed this season more, but I am a big fan of both seasons. The last three episode will be big though. The first season went out so strong.

I'll be surprised if neither Maul nor Ahsoka hit Vader at least once. That wouldn't be compelling duels if one of the duelists can't be touched at all. Even an untrained Luke got a hit in, and less than a year later with no more training he dominated Vader thanks to his serenity and Vader's emotional instability.

Like we've talked about in the TFA threads, when it comes to the Force, the person's relationship with the Force and their own internal struggle or serenity can create some unexpected outcomes when one force wielder squares off with another.
Well Luke is a Skywalker, stronger in the Force then Maul or Ahsoka, and Vader had no heart to kill him, even in Empire. Why exactly do people bring up Luke fighting Vader, like Luke isn't special? He clearly was/is. We are talking about the guy who did what not even Yoda could do. Rey seems to be this kind of special as well. If she is a Skywalker, it would make sense.

The thing about Vader at this point is that he is not emotionally unstable. There is no Luke to tug at his heart strings. There is only his rage.

Wait, are you saying that Ahsoka is more powerful than Maul?
In the Force? Yeah, I'd say she is. I am actually a fan of Maul and dislike Ahsoka, but we are talking about a teen who fought and survived a war and showed ridiculous strength at a young age. Maul really hasn't done anything to compare to the feats of other prominent Force Users in the canon. I am fan, but he is mostly reputation. He killed Qui-Gon and there was the Mando situation, that ended in disaster.

In the Force? Yeah, I'd say she is. I am actually a fan of Maul and dislike Ahsoka, but we are talking about a teen who fought and survived a war and showed ridiculous strength at a young age. Maul really hasn't done anything to compare to the feats of other prominent Force Users in the canon. I am fan, but he is mostly reputation. He killed Qui-Gon and there was the Mando situation, that ended in disaster.

Well I have to say I very much disagree.

For Sidious to pass up Talzin in favor of Maul, seems to suggest that Maul did have great potential. You also have to remember that he chose Maul long before he had any notions of Anakin even existing, and all the old canon material suggesting that he was just trained as a assassin for Sidious has been thrown out and even seems at odds with his new backstory. So he's effectively found this very small child and obviously seen something that made him want to take him on as an apprentice and eventually bestow the title of "Darth" onto him.

And then you look at his actions after his first real defeat, he was cut in half and yet he survived through sheer will and some unspeakably dark ability in the Force. That's nothing to brush off, he's effectively used the Force to cheat death and in the canon the only other person to do that was Anakin. After that he manages to fight Obi Wan on a pretty even basis, and even drive him to retreat in one instance. He's fought Mace Windu without any real difficulty and has bested and outplayed Dooku. Also, it's worth noting that when Maul had his uprising on Mandalor, it was Sidious who faced him and not Dooku or Grevious. The fact that he'd actually come out of the shadows for once and directly get involved speaks to Maul's threat.

If we were talking old canon, I'd be more inclined to agree with you, but the character has gone in a vastly different direction under Filoni and Katie Lucas.

Well I have to say I very much disagree.

For Sidious to pass up Talzin in favor of Maul, seems to suggest that Maul did have great potential. You also have to remember that he chose Maul long before he had any notions of Anakin even existing, and all the old canon material suggesting that he was just trained as a assassin for Sidious has been thrown out and even seems at odds with his new backstory. So he's effectively found this very small child and obviously seen something that made him want to take him on as an apprentice and eventually bestow the title of "Darth" onto him.

And then you look at his actions after his first real defeat, he was cut in half and yet he survived through sheer will and some unspeakably dark ability in the Force. That's nothing to brush off, he's effectively used the Force to cheat death and in the canon the only other person to do that was Anakin. After that he manages to fight Obi Wan on a pretty even basis, and even drive him to retreat in one instance. He's fought Mace Windu without any real difficulty and has bested and outplayed Dooku. Also, it's worth noting that when Maul had his uprising on Mandalor, it was Sidious who faced him and not Dooku or Grevious. The fact that he'd actually come out of the shadows for once and directly get involved speaks to Maul's threat.

If we were talking old canon, I'd be more inclined to agree with you, but the character has gone in a vastly different direction under Filoni and Katie Lucas.
Maul's one "victory" over Obi-Wan came after he and Savage beat him up to the point of knocking him unconscious. The next time they fought, the battle ended up two on one in favor of the brothers and Obi-Wan ended up taking Savage's arm and forcing them to retreat.

Think about that. Maul ran from Obi-Wan and a group of smugglers with blasters. And not just in the, "I will get you later" sort of way. In the, "I am about to die" sort of way. What would have Kylo Ren done? Freeze the blaster bolts in mid air and made them his daily slaughter. And Kylo is no where near the strength of the best yet. Ahsoka was confronted by a small army of Clones, infinity better then the smugglers in terms of combat, and fought them off.

Maul did survive. He also lost his mind and ended up a whimpering mess until Savage showed up.

Palpatine did show up. But what must be pointed out is how badly Palpatine messed them up. Did not break a sweat to kill Savage, and slap the crap out of Maul. Maul literally had nothing for him. Dooku didn't come close to beating Yoda, but he could compete. Windu "beat" Palpatine. Maul had trouble killing a Mando, one Obi-Wan kicked the crap out of.

Ahsoka feats in comparison are actually rather crazy at a much younger age. She stood side by side, to my annoyance, with Obi-Wan and Anakin, even as a teen. She also hasn't lost the majority of her battles. Maul has. Her duel with the Inquisitors is actually a good example of why I'd favor Ahsoka.

Last edited:
Maul's one "victory" over Obi-Wan came after he and Savage beat him up to the point of knocking him unconscious. The next time they fought, the battle ended up two on one in favor of the brothers and Obi-Wan ended up taking Savage's arm and forcing them to retreat.

Think about that. Maul ran from Obi-Wan and a group of smugglers with blasters. And not just in the, "I will get you later" sort of way. In the, "I am about to die" sort of way. What would have Kylo Ren done? Freeze the blaster bolts in mid air and made them his daily slaughter. And Kylo is no where near the strength of the best yet. Ahsoka was confronted by a small army of Clones, infinity better then the smugglers in terms of combat, and fought them off.

Maul did survive. He also lost his mind and ended up a whimpering mess until Savage showed up.

Palpatine did show up. But what must be pointed out is how badly Palpatine messed them up. Did not break a sweat to kill Savage, and slap the crap out of Maul. Maul literally had nothing for him. Dooku didn't come close to beating Yoda, but he could compete. Windu "beat" Palpatine. Maul had trouble killing a Mando, one Obi-Wan kicked the crap out of.

You actually pointed out something you've just mentioned on the last page. Maul started to lose his battle with Obi basically right after the latter cut off Savage's arm. We know that Maul did actually care about Savage and thus he was thrown off balance emotionally. Both major battles where he suffered sound defeats came when harm was done to his brother. Savage was his Luke. It's the same with Dooku and Yoda. Dooku could compete because the very fact he was Yoda's former apprentice offset the Y-Man's usual Zen state.

It's funny that you bring up how Sidious defeated him, when Sidious is the most powerful being in the galaxy. I probably couldn't beat up Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson, but that's nothing to be ashamed of. I'd say the fact Maul was able to hold him off as long as he did when three of the best Masters in the Jedi Order were killed in seconds shows that Maul is nothing to take lightly. Really, the fact that Sidious didn't send Dooku (or even Grevious) is enough for me to believe that in Sid's mind Maul is at least on Dooku's level and a genuine threat to the Grand Plan.

Sorry DS, I can't sa I really agree with you on this. But, if Maul should prove to be as weak as you say in next week's episode(s) I will eat my words.

You actually pointed out something you've just mentioned on the last page. Maul started to lose his battle with Obi basically right after the latter cut off Savage's arm. We know that Maul did actually care about Savage and thus he was thrown off balance emotionally. Both major battles where he suffered sound defeats came when harm was done to his brother. Savage was his Luke. It's the same with Dooku and Yoda. Dooku could compete because the very fact he was Yoda's former apprentice offset the Y-Man's usual Zen state.

It's funny that you bring up how Sidious defeated him, when Sidious is the most powerful being in the galaxy. I probably couldn't beat up Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson, but that's nothing to be ashamed of. I'd say the fact Maul was able to hold him off as long as he did when three of the best Masters in the Jedi Order were killed in seconds shows that Maul is nothing to take lightly. Really, the fact that Sidious didn't send Dooku (or even Grevious) is enough for me to believe that in Sid's mind Maul is at least on Dooku's level and a genuine threat to the Grand Plan.

Sorry DS, I can't sa I really agree with you on this. But, if Maul should prove to be as weak as you say in next week's episode(s) I will eat my words.
It isn't that Maul is weak. It is that he is ends up competing with the the baddest people in the GFFA. In terms of the Star Wars lore Vader, Luke, Palpatine and Yoda are the strongest Force users there has ever been. Losing to Palpatine isn't a problem. How he does is imo. There are degrees of losing. He doesn't hold on against Palpatine, Palpatine is toying and not trying to kill him. IF he wanted him dead, he would have been and in mere seconds .A good example is Dooku against Obi-Wan. Maul can't beat Obi-Wan. Dooku trashes Obi-Wan twice. Like crushes him. Anakin competes with Dooku the first time, and loses his arm. The second time he outduels a top 5 duelist handily.

Also you point to Maul's Sithness earlier. If Savage was an actual pressure point, he isn't a Sith anymore. At least not a "good" one.

At this point in the saga I'd say the tiers go:
The Emperor and Vader

Yoda

Obi-Wan

Ahsoka, Maul

Kanan

Ezra and the Inquisitors

I could be wrong about Ahsoka and Maul. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Also you point to Maul's Sithness earlier. If Savage was an actual pressure point, he isn't a Sith anymore. At least not a "good" one.

I wouldn't say that. Within the new canon we have a past example of an ancient Sith Lord befriending a Jedi Master, and depending on how much you want to take from the Plagueis novel as canon, he felt at least some sort of paternal feelings towards Palpatine, which was of course his downfall.

I wouldn't say that. Within the new canon we have a past example of an ancient Sith Lord befriending a Jedi Master, and depending on how much you want to take from the Plagueis novel as canon, he felt at least some sort of paternal feelings towards Palpatine, which was of course his downfall.
What canon character is that?

Outside of the canon, I don't take it into account anymore. But from what we have seen, those kind of feelings don't apply to the Sith. Once they do, it weakens them.

What canon character is that?

Outside of the canon, I don't take it into account anymore. But from what we have seen, those kind of feelings don't apply to the Sith. Once they do, it weakens them.

It was mentioned offhand in one of the novellas they were releasing for the TFA lead up. I don't recall the title but it was about a Corellian resistance fighter trying to flee the Empire. At one point she sees what could be a dangerous enemy, but goes over to investigate nonetheless. She says something like "Well if Jedi Master X could befriend the ancient Sith Lord of Y then there's always a chance at peace."

And I think in terms of Plagueis (the novel) some of it was confirmed as canon through references and mentions within the Tarkin. At least the implication was that Luceno was carrying on the arc from that novel in terms of Palpatine.

VERY good scene with Hera and Kanan this Ep, not to mention plenty of teases regarding Ezra's fate...

I really do love Kanan and Hera. Such a great portrayal of a relationship.

Do like how Ezra still is having some issues with the Force. And I agree, Sabine needs a jet pack. Season 3 model upgrade, perhaps...

Though they did give up looking for Dicer awfully quick after they found Rex.

StarWars.com - Rebels Recon #2.19: Inside "The Mystery of Chopper Base" | Star Wars Rebels

Trivia Gallery
  • The smaller shelled creatures are called dokma.
  • The larger spider creatures are called krykna spiders.
  • The krykna spider creatures are based on Ralph McQuarrie artwork of enormous arachnids found in the swamps of Dagobah.
  • It’s fitting that Zeb calls creatures that annoy him “bogans.” That was an early word used in the Star Wars scripts to describe the dark side. The Lasat use the light side counterpart word, “Ashla,” from the same source.
  • The opening sparring match is the first on-screen appearing of a lightsaber in training mode. It has a dimmer shine and produces a different sound; upon contact, it stings but does not cut or burn.

StarWars.com - Rebels Recon #2.19: Inside "The Mystery of Chopper Base" | Star Wars Rebels

Trivia Gallery
  • The smaller shelled creatures are called dokma.
  • The larger spider creatures are called krykna spiders.
  • The krykna spider creatures are based on Ralph McQuarrie artwork of enormous arachnids found in the swamps of Dagobah.
  • It’s fitting that Zeb calls creatures that annoy him “bogans.” That was an early word used in the Star Wars scripts to describe the dark side. The Lasat use the light side counterpart word, “Ashla,” from the same source.
  • The opening sparring match is the first on-screen appearing of a lightsaber in training mode. It has a dimmer shine and produces a different sound; upon contact, it stings but does not cut or burn.

I wonder if they are going to establish that the Ashla and Bogans were very ancient good and bad sects of force users on the Lasat homeworld? That could be an in-universe reason for those terms being in the Lasat vocabulary.

There's no way I'm ever going to hear the word "Bogan" and not automatically think of this guy:

tumblr_o18o6eE2Us1rxpq74o4_500.gif

Hey guys, inspired Rebels, I made short with trooper, mouse droid and Y-wing. Hope you like it!:
[YT]/watch?v=mvQuZjAXDJ0&[/YT]

Clip from the finale. Spoilers ho!!!

[BLACKOUT]Yeah, it looks a bit like Maul isn't a fan of the Sith anymore. I like it. [/BLACKOUT]

I just realized he said Force wielder. The phrase is canon, if it wasn't already.

I didn't think much of the latest episode, but the Kanan/Hera, Zeb/Ezra, and the final scene were great. A nice last adventure with the team in the calm before the storm.

Top 10 Rebels Moments:

[YT]GB92zVw3OOU[/YT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija