Received Counterfeit Money On A Sale: Help!

Lasirius

tarifa
Reaction score
Yesterday I sold my TV on Craigslist, the guy came by because he wanted to try it and check nothing was wrong with it. I initially was going to deliver it to his address but called me later that he was out and able to come by, though I would had preferred to meet some place else to make the transaction.

He paid with 2 bills of $100 which turned out to be counterfeit since the ATM machine wouldn't accept them, the rest of the money were $20 bills and were real. Now, I'm supposed to give him the remote today (I'm still in contact with this person) since I couldn't find it yesterday.

I've been thinking about this repeatedly, should I confront the guy and give him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't know about the money or contact the cops immediately? I'm worried because he knows where I live and if I contact the cops who knows what could happen. I have an alleged address, phone number, first name, and e-mail.

All you have is that the ATM would not accept them? Take them to a bank or grocery store. Ask the teller or cashier to check it for you. They have special markers that will tell you if they are real or not.

You never ever, accept any bill over a $20 in a Craiglist transaction.

EDIT: You can actually go and buy those markers, they sell them at any office supply store.

Last edited:
All you have is that the ATM would not accept them? Take them to a bank or grocery store. Ask the teller or cashier to check it for you. They have special markers that will tell you if they are real or not.

Forgot to mention that I had them checked with a marker later in the evening.

Last edited:
I would tell them the bills he gave you were fake and if he doesn't respond well, you go to the cops. Though honestly, unless he's a super nice guy you're probably screwed over. Just another life lesson for you. Never accept large bills and always meet in a neutral location.

I would tell them the bills he gave you were fake and if he doesn't respond well, you go to the cops. Though honestly, unless he's a super nice guy you're probably screwed over. Just another life lesson for you. Never accept large bills and always meet in a neutral location.

I recognize it was foolish of me, it was my very first online transaction like that. But now that is done I'm looking at my options and this one is the one I have in mind.

Here's my advice: Consult a lawyer.

Anytime you receive counterfit money you are supposed to contact the authorities.

You performed a Craiglist transaction. Your lucky you didn't end up bound, gagged and striped down to your underwear in the trunk of some creepy dudes volvo.

The downside is you got ripped off the upside is you didn't end up on a milk carton.

You performed a Craiglist transaction. Your lucky you didn't end up bound, gagged and striped down to your underwear in the trunk of some creepy dudes volvo.

The downside is you got ripped off the upside is you didn't end up on a milk carton.

Haha, definitely.

Thanks for the responses so far, everyone. :up:

logo

Sounds like a misunderstanding to me, Lasirius.

Honestly, I think you start kissing that money goodbye. The most you could do at this point is hold the remote but I mean, it's not like they don't sell universal remotes.

I would use it at a place where they wouldn't check the money, like a gas station, bar or something similar.

I would use it at a place where they wouldn't check the money, like a gas station, bar or something similar.

Maybe I'm ignorant, but I'm pretty sure one shouldn't risk getting caught trying to use counterfeit money.

Gas stations aren't financial institutions, the people that work there most likely are not going to know that it's counterfeit. I'd go there with one of the $100 bills, make a small purchase like beer or something and keep the change. It will go off into circulation and be some other person's problem.

Those pens sold at Staples cause false positives all the time. They're not 100% accurate.

Well I gave the guy the benefit of the doubt and long story short, I got my TV back and he got his counterfeit bills. Turns out he didn't know that about the money, apologized, met him at a parking lot and gave me the TV back.

He allegedly got that money from selling a laptop earlier in the week, he's reporting them to the cops.

Good to hear your story had a good ending. Not everyone would be so honest.

I would have blackmailed him for more of his monopoly money. :o

Well I gave the guy the benefit of the doubt and long story short, I got my TV back and he got his counterfeit bills. Turns out he didn't know that about the money, apologized, met him at a parking lot and gave me the TV back.

He allegedly got that money from selling a laptop earlier in the week, he's reporting them to the cops.
Sounds like that fake money has been floating around more than previously thought. Nice to hear you have sort of gotten the situation handled.

sounds suspicious.....i'd spend the night at a friends house tonight if i were you!

sounds suspicious.....i'd spend the night at a friends house tonight if i were you!

I've gotten some stuff ready to stay at my cousin's, I couldn't get much sleep the other night thinking of that so I'm doing this just in case.

Gas stations aren't financial institutions, the people that work there most likely are not going to know that it's counterfeit. I'd go there with one of the $100 bills, make a small purchase like beer or something and keep the change. It will go off into circulation and be some other person's problem.

Those pens sold at Staples cause false positives all the time. They're not 100% accurate.

that's why I look for the security tape and ghost logo on the bills

Go to the cops, they send the counterfeit money to the secret service so they can trace it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"