Red Sonja

mclay18

Avenger
Reaction score
Despite his behind-the-scenes PR drama on several films, money talks. Millennium Films signed Singer to direct the long-gestating Red Sonja film, with a script by Ashley Miller, back in September.

Bryan Singer Nabs Huge Payday for Directing 'Red Sonja'

And according to Production Weekly, production begins spring 2019 in Bulgaria, so I imagine casting will be announced soon.

What happened to the Sheena adaptation that Nu Image (Millenium Films) was making? ‘Sheena: Queen Of The Jungle’ Reboot Feature In Works At Millennium Films

We know what happened to the Conan TV series they were partnering with Amazon as announced here: Conan the Barbarian TV Series In Works At Amazon From Ryan Condal, Miguel Sapochnik & Warren Littlefield I was reading through this hype thread and see someone linking to a podcast that claims it was cancelled: "Conan the Barbarian" TV Series in development for Amazon

Nu Image/Millenium films still owns the film rights since acquiring them in 2007 while Marvel Publishing is able to publish the comics with the character again... I just doubechecked and see Millenium Films partnered with Lion's Gate to help make the previous Conan film with Jason Momoa. Of course the Robert Rodriguez one with Rose McGowan almost happened before she got injured (although I'm kind of speculative on whether would've still got going or not). Maybe Millenium could partner with Marvel Studios at some point.

Last edited:
I hope it happens. I need a good modern sword & sorcery film in my life.

Well, I'll say this, can't be worse than the original.

The original's a whole lotta fun, c'mon now.

When else are you gonna get Ahuld as Conan-but-not-really-for-reals-Conan wrestling a giant fish-dragon-rock-monster and yelling "AUUUGHHHAUUUGHAUUUGH!"

And that music score's a beast.

Sadly they will probably cast a tiny under weight tan or other forced ethnicity actress. I wish he would have had a shot at this 15 years ago.

Bryan Singer seems like the LAST guy that you'd want to hire for a Red Sonja film, or a Sword & Sorcery film in general (would he really be willing to embrace the tone, aesthetic, out there elements I don't know honestly). Both because of his past work AND the "issues" surrounding him.

Sadly studios being tone-deaf is sadly to be expected though.

Bryan Singer does seem like a odd choice for this. His Jack The Giant Slayer movie was meh.

I bet they get some MMA woman to play Sonia.

Apparently he's a huge fan of the Milius movie, remember reading that somewhere. Giant Slayer was crapola, but I don't know I'd necessarily write this off based on that. This is also the same guy that did The Usual Suspects & Valkyrie for god's sake - not that they're exactly Conan in tone either, but the guy can do hard-edged when he sets out to.

He was also a "huge fan" of Richard Donner's Superman film, but his "homage" to it, is controversial at best. And lots of X-Men fans would argue that he sucked a lot of the core elements and outlandish stuff out of that franchise as well.

Look I like The Usual Suspects a lot, and I like Valkyrie, and heck l like his X-Men films more than most. BUT I can see where others are coming from in questioning whether his sensibilities fit this kind of material. And that's not including all of the off-camera drama/controversy that he's mired in, which might drive some people away from seeing this potentially as well.

It's a case of "is it REALLY worth it just to get him to make this film, really?"

Ehh, I like Returns, pretty major warts & all. X1/X2 rule, Valkyrie's awesome, I was like 85% satisfied with Bohemian Rhapsody. Probably not who I'd want to do a Howard movie in a perfect world, but hey, it won't be total schlock under Bryan either. Would basically be willing to put money down even at this stage on this being a better flick than the Momoa one at least, and Destroyer/the original Sonja movie.

As for the off-camera stuff, I mean assuming he's innocent of the sexual stuff (if it's proven I'll be the first to say burn the guy's career at the stake) I can get past the ****ty behavior on-set. Doesn't sound like he used to be that way, aside from Halle and Rothman he got along with everyone on the X-Men flicks, and clearly he has a circle of writers/producers/friends like McQuarrie that dig working with the dude. Assumng he can reign in the diva stuff after the ****show on Rhapsody, it'll be fine. Feels like bad as all that was, it may have been a one off low-note period for the dude.

Ehh, I like Returns, pretty major warts & all. X1/X2 rule, Valkyrie's awesome, I was like 85% satisfied with Bohemian Rhapsody. Probably not who I'd want to do a Howard movie in a perfect world, but hey, it won't be total schlock under Bryan either. Would basically be willing to put money down even at this stage on this being a better flick than the Momoa one at least, and Destroyer/the original Sonja movie.

As for the off-camera stuff, I mean assuming he's innocent of the sexual stuff (if it's proven I'll be the first to say burn the guy's career at the stake) I can get past the ****ty behavior on-set. Doesn't sound like he used to be that way, aside from Halle and Rothman he got along with everyone on the X-Men flicks, and clearly he has a circle of writers/producers/friends like McQuarrie that dig working with the dude. Assumng he can reign in the diva stuff after the ****show on Rhapsody, it'll be fine. Feels like bad as all that was, it may have been a one off low-note period for the dude.
But he's done it enough times that I don't get why you would risk hiring him.
I don't see why hire him, it's not like he's the only director to do this project.

If someone recently is causing trouble behind the scene and it's not like he's the only one who could do this movie. That on top of the accusations...I'm not saying they're true that's just press you don't need around your movie.
It just doesn't like you need all those factors going or possibly going against a movie. Especially a movie like this

The risk is probably overstated, all said and done. This guy's got plenty of both financially & critically acclaimed movies under his belt, over a space of 20+ years. This isn't Trank, who just sort of seemed like he probably had major mental issues and couldn't handle the pressure of a studio movie. Singer's proven with budgets & deadlines and the social/management side of things, even if he did act totally unprofessionally (and this isn't a defense, he deserved to be canned) on Rhapsody.

I get that he didn't get along with Berry on the earlier X-Men movies, and clashed with Rothman. But like...Halle seems like a big of an egomaniac to be fair, and Rothman basically headbutted with every director he ever crossed paths with. :)

Singer's bad behavior (professionally, not the sexual allegation stuff) was hinted to have happened before when it went down on the Queen flick, but I don't remember them getting into any specifics. The X-Men cast all dug working with the guy it seems, and I can't see Cruise standing for any diva crap from a director. McQuarrie came back for a second time around on Valkyrie. *Shrugs* Kinda seems like generally speaking, he hasn't pulled any of the Bohemian Rhapsody crap. Now if he's gone downhill emotionally and it's seeming like he can't handle pressure anymore, that's one thing. But if it was some one-off, then that's another situation. Hopefully he's a dude who can realize where he was wrong, own it, and act better next time around.

Keep in mind, Bohemian's going to do bank, and while the critics aren't losing their **** over it they're not exactly panning the thing either. Suspect he's going to bounce back.

Another complaint about his films is that he doesn't use female characters well most of the time. Which is, problematic, if he's going to be making this film.

Yeah... as I already said in the other Red Sonja thread, Singer is the same person who made Storm uninteresting. I have absolutely no faith that he can get Sonja right.

I'm trying to think who i want cast in this.

I'm trying to think who i want cast in this.

I don't think it'll be an MMA fighter. If Singer is retaining his usual below-the-line folks (ie casting directors), it'll be someone with acting experience.

I'm more surprised to find out he has a kid with a woman done the old fashion way. lol

She still called him her life partner till a few months ago. Weird dynamic, but that ain't my business.

I mean, the payday he is getting makes it clear that this isn't being made out of some sort of demand. This is a payoff to Singer.

Bryan Singer's involvement saved me the money for two tickets that I would have otherwise purchased.

Singer worked with Sophie Turner on X-Men: I Forget The Name Because I Don't Watch Singer's Movies...so I would assume that she would be the frontrunner for the role, especially to try to get Game of Thrones fans in to see her with a sword.

Well, the question now would be what up-and-coming actress will agree to the part knowing the backlash she'll receive?

That's actually a great point. People aren't going to be nice to whoever chooses to work for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"