Superman Returns Relaxed discussion of negative attitude to movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthbakpao
now i see the idea of the reason why the kid being Supes'. Superman always feels like an outsider, being the only one left of his 'race'. That's the reason why he left earth and travel to his home planet. So, in the end he found another one like him, his kid...it comes full circle then... well, like you said, that's the whole story

ya, that's the whole story... don't know if i should cry or laugh at it.

I was gonna say that this thread is just another pointless riff on the AICN and Trailer ones already here but the cat war entertained me so it's cool:o :up:

Ahhhh,cat wars.I smell the makings of a triolgy.sniff,sniff,no,never mind,its my litter box.

Well we'll just wait and see. I think the buzz right now is apathy. Superman is no longer "as cool" to the mainstream as the other big ones, namely Batman, X-Men and of course Spider-Man. BTW if you did not like SM2, which was drama and humor tied into a great summer pleaser with a lot of romance....you may be in for a disappointment here, but we'll see though.

Anyway, I think this movie will either be huge or disappointing. If it can connect with mainstream audiences, I could see it doing a POTC. No one expected much out of that film but it turned out to be great HUMOROUS FUN FOR EVERYONE and boom it was the biggest live action movie of the summer. If SR can transcend into that perfect crowd pleasing summer movie (I'd say other examples are Indy Jones, BTTF, the Spider-Man movies, Jurassic Park, Mask of Zorro, of course SW, etc.) then it will be huge.

However if it does not connect with audiences and comes off as boring or just silly and stupid (which I HIGHLY doubt) then expect it to pull in Hulk numbers.

I am merely speaking of buzz which is in relation to box office and not quality. However, oddly enough Superman the character no longer has the hype around him to garuntee a huge box office, he can be a blockbuster still, but to go into the stratosphere he has to hit one out of the park for everyone here then.

If that thing about the kid having super powers is true Superman is in for a very hard landing at least in my books.
And I am serious I am not trying to be a troll we have free choice I mean nobody is forcing anybody to watch this movie and if some people don’t like the movie it should not spoil the enjoyment of those that do.
My ( personal opinion ) which people are free to disagree with is that this movie is out of it’s time.
The box office take has been down in the last few years people are tired of sequels prequels remakes and retakes.

The big summer blockbusters of the last ten years or so really don’t stand the test of time.
Independence Day, Spiderman, Terminator 3, The Day After Tomorrow, Alien 3 and 4 Jurassic Park 1-3 and the terrible Matrix trilogy.

I know some of you are genuinely frustrated that people like myself just seem to bash but I hope this post will open the door to understanding of were I am coming from.

Really bad movies.
Men in Black was funny then we got Men in Black 2
Final Destination 1-3 or was it 4
Scream 1-3
Scary Movie 1-3 and all it’s clones
Planet of the Apes remake
Lost in Space
Wild Wild West
Basic Instinct 2
Psycho line for line remake
Mission Impossible 1-3
Speed 2
And yes the Star Wars prequels also although the last one was good pity about the other two.
And there are many more.

I think Hollywood has turned into a crap factory and the box office numbers back this up.
Everything has to be based on a safe well established franchise and no matter how bad the movie is you can be sure of the Special Edition DVD five or six months down the road with deleted scenes nobody cares about.

Either I am growing old and cynical or Hollywood has or a bit of the two.

It seems to me if you look back at the 70s and early 80s you have a number or firsts and original movies.
Dirty Harry
Jaws
Exorcist
Superman the Movie
Star Wars
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Alien
The Omen
Airplane
Raiders if the Lost Ark
Police Academy
The downside of this list is a lot of these good movies had bad sequels but no matter how bad the sequels they were made because the first movie was so good.
These days the bad movies get endless sequels and even prequels.

In fairness I will admit that there were bad movies in the late 70s and early 80s also but there were plenty of great movies too.
These days it’s the other way around.

I have this nagging feeling that Superman Returns will try and wrap itself up in the clothes of Superman the Movie and at the same time try and bring the franchise up to date while failing to realise that this franchise is out of date.

I know there was Superman before 1979 but Superman the Movie was a landmark for many different reasons as were a number of others movies around the same time.

The Da Vinci Code looks about the best bet this summer from what I have seen and even this could be a stinker.

Another thing that disturbs me about the talk surrounding this Superman Returns movie is the talk of setting it up for a sequel it seems like the producers are more concerned with reviving the franchise rather then making a good movie.

Now there is a chance that this movie might surprise me and be really good and I hope it does, and if it does it will clean up because this summer the line up of movies looks depressing to say the least.

King Kong surprised me and I think the reason it did not do better is because people turned off when they heard of yet another movie remake.

Maybe some of you hardcore fans should go easy on us bashers because if we bash enough Hollywood might just take a risk and finance a big budget original movie once in while.

Even hardcore fans must admit if SR turns out to be a really good movie it will be the exception rather then the rule these days.:)

Im exausted after reading all that. Hollywood's been doing pretty well with their movies these days despite a bunch of stinkers coming out too. Singer's made some good films IMO, so the natural conclusion I've drawn is that this film will be above average no matter what. It may not be god's gift to all mankind, but it'll do its job and entertain the bad place out of every single one of us. I hate spidey for its deviations from the comic and its cornball story/characters but I'll admit I enjoyed what was good in it and got my money's worth from the fx at the end and hardcore fighting. So if it's an average film, I'll give it some slack but honestly I can't see just a passable average ho hum film coming from singer, especially with something as big and grand as this film is.

I do agree that I'd have preferred a re-start instead of a love letter to donner though... but I understand why they did it this way. It's hollywood afterall. And maybe you won't have to watch donner's version to completely understand returns?

that is all. carry on.

----

Last edited:
i believe the number of people reject the super kid isn't any less than the people who can accept it.
is it called a win-win situation?

more like a draw. Or a tie. Or a stand-off. I call it a mixed reaction. Nobody's counting this movie out just yet, only because supes might be a father in it. I see most are hopeful although dissapointed. The idea to me is actually interesting but im aware it might not work to have supes dedicated to both serving humanity and being a parent.

Its tragic. What's better to do be completely altruistic or find personal happiness...

In superman 2, theres a deleted scene where he decides to do what he was destined to do and says goodbye to lois. and lois says "never forget..." It's all like peter pan in a way. Pan is just always going to be this immortal kid who hates growing up and can't every be with wendy who decides that she must grow up like a normal person. Poor pan can't have it both ways, be a kid forever and have wendy. We see in Hook that he chooses to grow up when he falls in love with wendy's daughter and well... I for one thought that movie was cool... so maybe this one will be to me too.

Star Wars Fan said:
In fairness I will admit that there were bad movies in the late 70s and early 80s also but there were plenty of great movies too.
These days it’s the other way around.
I seriously think that this is just because everything looks better in hindsight. It's easy to overlook the poor films because they were forgettable. The good ones stay fresh in your mind because they were good. However, today all films are much fresher in your memory so you'll remember even the bad films.

I think the 90's and the last few years have produced some pretty memorable films. Shawshank Redemption, the Lord of the Rings trilogy and Saving Private Ryan easily match the movies you mentioned. For every Dog Day Afternoon, we've got a movie like Good Night and Good Luck.

If you really think back and look year by year in the 70's and 80's, there are a handful of movies per year. The same is true for modern films.

Nivek said:
Im sorry david, but did you get lost finding the door? I thought you said you were going bye bye because there was nothing of intrest left for you in the film after Moriartys review?

I'm going to keep this pleasant.

Whatever impressions you had are yours and yours alone.

I still intend to post here because I'm now just looking for interesting conversation.

Does this clear up any of the mystery for you?

skruloos said:
I seriously think that this is just because everything looks better in hindsight. It's easy to overlook the poor films because they were forgettable. The good ones stay fresh in your mind because they were good. However, today all films are much fresher in your memory so you'll remember even the bad films.

I think the 90's and the last few years have produced some pretty memorable films. Shawshank Redemption, the Lord of the Rings trilogy and Saving Private Ryan easily match the movies you mentioned. For every Dog Day Afternoon, we've got a movie like Good Night and Good Luck.

If you really think back and look year by year in the 70's and 80's, there are a handful of movies per year. The same is true for modern films.

The 70's was one of the best times period for movies. No doubt. Sure, we get some good ones nowadays, but you had many back then.

You mention hindsight. Isn't that a really good way to judge movies? If they still look good after all this time?

Yeah we don't have any threads open about negative aspects of the movie :rolleyes:

SolidSnakeMGS said:
The 70's was one of the best times period for movies. No doubt. Sure, we get some good ones nowadays, but you had many back then.
Seriously. Look at IMDB's list of movies released year by year. Compare it to one's released in the last decade. They aren't that far off from each other.

I love the films of the 70's. It was the first boom of truly independent films by young directors who actually studied film history. In a way, the 90's onward pushed that forward. There are still great movies being produced today. It just so happens that there are also a lot of crap and the crap is still fresh in our minds. The crap from the 70's is no longer fresh because let's face it, it's crap.

SolidSnakeMGS said:
You mention hindsight. Isn't that a really good way to judge movies? If they still look good after all this time?
Of course. Which is why comparing today's movies with the movies from the 70's is not fair. Hindisight also causes us to forget or overlook bad movies. For the movies today, we don't have the luxury of hindsight yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"