3 Body Problem

:eek:

Superhero
Reaction score
Amazon Plans $1B Chinese Sci-Fi Series?

By
Garth Franklin -

Tuesday, March 27th 2018 1:21 pm
http://cdn2.darkhorizons.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/amazon-plans-1b-chinese-sci-fi-series.jpg
Amazon is reportedly pursuing a deal for a three-season TV series based on Liu Cixin’s Hugo-winning sci-fi novel trilogy “Remembrance of Earth’s Past”. The price tag? Up to $1 billion.
The Financial Times broke the report, saying international investors are telling them Amazon is negotiating for the rights to produce three seasons based on the book series that began with (and is better known by) the title “The Three-Body Problem”.
Set against the backdrop of China’s Cultural Revolution, in the first book a secret military project sends signals into space to establish contact with aliens. One civilization, on the brink of destruction, captures the signal and plans to invade Earth. Meanwhile different camps start forming amongst humanity with plans to either welcome the superior beings and help them take over a world seen as corrupt, or to fight against the invasion.
In a statement reported by Chinese news outlets, including Caixin, YooZoo Pictures stated that it remains the sole owners for the film and TV rights for the series and didn’t comment on whether Amazon had approached the company.
Cixin was also asked by Chinese news outlets and he revealed he knew nothing about the project and doesn’t know if he’d be invited to work on it. A $30 million film adaptation of the first book was shot in 2015 but has yet to be released.
Amazon previously made a deal for two seasons of a “Lord of the Rings” series, a deal rumored to cost $500 million for two seasons. “The Three-Body Problem” deal, if the report is accurate, is notably bigger than that.

This is one of my most anticipated projects. I love the books, they are probably the best science fiction I have read in recent times. So full of ideas.

Looks like the production is gaining some momentum. Hopefully they will start shooting this year.

Great choice for the director too.

Last edited:
Just posting some unconfirmed updates from IMDb:
  • Minkie Spiro (Better Call Saul, The Plot Against America) is directing a few episodes
  • Martin Ahlgren (Daredevil Season 2) as a cinematographer.
  • Deborah Riley (Game of Thrones) is the production designer
  • Michael Wilkinson (Zack Snyder movies, Tron: Legacy) is the costume designer

Wow, looks very cool. :D

I'm ready to let D&D hurt me again.

Shame its D&D. The books have such cool ideas but are so forking badly written they're begging for a great adaptation.

I was really intrigued by the trailer initially but it felt like the last few seconds just went totally insane. Not sure if I trust Weiss and Benioff to be able to handle all that.

Yikes, but then again I think there are only 4/6 episodes ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"