Reminiscence (Hugh Jackman)

James.B

In search of the absurd
Reaction score
Hot Berlin Pic: ‘Westworld’s Lisa Joy Directs Hugh Jackman & Rebecca Ferguson In Sci-Fi Thriller ‘Reminiscence’

In what instantly becomes a hot property there, Hugh Jackman and Rebecca Ferguson are finalizing deals to star this fall in Reminiscence, a film that Westworld executive producer Lisa Joy has scripted. She will make her feature directorial debut.

Set in a future where the oceans have risen and much of the population of Miami has switched to a nocturnal schedule. This is also a world where people such as Jackman's Nick Bannister – who Joy describes as a "PI of the mind" – uses technology to dig into people's memories in order to help them with problems. When a mysterious woman (Ferguson) arrives in his office seeking help with lost keys, the stage is set for an epic romance, one cut short when she vanishes.

Nick will have to unpack his lover's past to find her, facing danger along the way. It's a concept Joy has been thinking about for a long time, and writing for five years, even as Westworld began to take up more of her time. Now, she's ready to make the movie, scheduling a shoot in October in New Orleans and Venice to start after the majority of work on the show's third season is complete. "It has been a labor of love and also vision," she tells Deadline. "I know exactly what I want this to be, including all of the action set pieces, and turning Miami into a sunken world. Working on Westworld has been an incredible experience in learning to make something with the scope of a feature on a TV timeline with a budget nowhere near what you would expect for a feature film equivalent."

With Jackman and Ferguson aboard, the rights to this one will be sold next week in the States and at Berlin's European Film Market, and we'd expect hefty interest given the stars and director. You can read Joy's extensive, intriguing and surprisingly spoiler-free pitch for the movie at Deadline.

Last edited:
Nice! :awesome:

As I said in the other thread, nabbing Hugh and Rebecca is a big deal.

Logan and Ilsa! With those 2 leads and that premise I'm intrigued.

I really like both of those actors. Project has some excellent potential.

Hope it won't end up on Netflix. Wanna see more original stuff on the big screen!

I read the script thinking it might be Nolan's next film, but this works too. Great cast! I wonder if she did give it another go and changed a few things tho because if NWR or Snyder filmed this script exactly, they would get a bunch of sexist articles written about, but I hope she doesn't change a damn thing.

I'm totally in after that Joy pitch. This sounds like it could be great if it all comes together.

If anyone wants the script, let me know. Also, there is a character in here that seems perfect for Dave Bautista.

Last edited:
Warner Bros Lands Worldwide Rights To Lisa Joy-Directed ‘Reminiscence:’ Hugh Jackman, Rebecca Ferguson To Star

Warner Bros. has acquired worldwide distribution rights to Reminiscence, the Lisa Joy-directed action thriller that will star Hugh Jackmanand Rebecca Ferguson. The film marks the directorial debut of Westworld executive producer Joy, who wrote the script. This was the hot package at Berlin, and the film sold in a competitive situation with several studios vying for the rights.

Joy, who wrote the screenplay, will produce with her Kilter Film partner Jonathan Nolan, along with Michael De Luca and Aaron Ryder. Athena Wickham and Elishia Holmes are exec producers. The film is a co-production between Kilter Films, Michael De Luca Productions and FilmNation Entertainment. The film will reunite Joy with frequent Westworld DP Paul Cameron. Principal Photography will take place in New Orleans and Miami beginning in late October, to allow Joy and Nolan to complete work on the HBO show’s third season.

This one sounds promising, I guess they will be aiming for a Fall 2020 release.

Thandie Newton Reteams With ‘Westworld’s’ Lisa Joy on ‘Reminiscence’ (EXCLUSIVE)

Following her Emmy win for her performance on “Westworld,” Thandie Newton is joining the feature directorial debut of the show’s co-creator.

Sources tell Variety that Newton is set to join Hugh Jackman and Rebecca Ferguson in Warner Bros.’ “Reminiscence,” directed by “Westworld’s” Lisa Joy.

The plot and details on who Newton will be playing are being kept under wraps.

Jackman and Ferguson had really good chemistry in The Greatest Showman so that bodes well for setting up the drama here. Also, I have to say that as far as dystopian sci-fi premises go, this is definitely one of the more interesting ones I've heard recently.

Thandie Newton talks power, prejudice & Westworld season 3

One of those women is Lisa Joy, the co-creator of Westworld, who Newton worked again with recently on Joy’s directorial debut, Reminiscence. The film, which wrapped in December, is set in the not-so-distant future, where sea levels and temperatures have risen. “She innovates with film. What she’s doing with the film, technically, is amazing,” Newton enthuses. “It’s incredible. It’s got all the ingenuity of Memento and Inception.”

In the sci-fi thriller, Newton plays lead Hugh Jackman’s best friend. I can’t help but ask what it’s like working with the Australian heart-throb. “Hugh Jackman is the loveliest man. He is kind, present, a devoted family man. Just a great guy.”

Ah so they gender swapped it! IIRC his best friend/assistant in the script I read was an old dude.

IMDB says Westworld editor Mark Yoshikawa and production designer Howard Cummings are working on it.

Yoshikawa edited the episodes Chestnut, Contrapasso, and The Well-Tempered Clavier.

Hugh Jackman on HBO's 'Bad Education', Quarantine Breadmaking Tips, and Quentin Tarantino

What’s the status of Reminiscence?

JACKMAN: We finished filming, and they’re editing now. I don’t know exactly what they’re doing, but I guess (writer/director) Lisa [Joy] is probably editing at home. We finished filming, at the end of January. I’m really excited for that film. I loved doing it. I think Lisa is an incredible talent. I said yes to the movie, in my head. I didn’t say this to her because, you’ve gotta be cool, but she pitched me the movie. She said, “I’m gonna pitch it before you’ve read the script because I want you to understand the world of the film.” As she’s pitching, I’m like, “I’m doing this movie.” And then, I was reading the script, and 20 minutes into the script, I was like, “Honestly, I don’t even need to read this. I’m doing it.” It was that good and that exciting and that original, and I think audiences are really craving that. I’ve been part of a movie franchise, where I played the same character nine times. It’s important that I do some original content.

It sounds like a really cool sci-fi thriller, and to know that it’s original, what most impressed you about what Lisa Joy was able to create on set and about working with her?

JACKMAN: She’s like a savant, in the way that she prepares. She knows every cut and every angle. When she walks on the set, she has this preparation that you’ve never seen before, and a knowledge of how things are gonna go down, and because of that, which goes back to what you were saying about preparation, she has the ability to take on active suggestions. It feels like you’re really creating and flowing, but you have this foundation where you know you’re gonna make your day and you know you’re gonna create some things that have never been done before. And we were doing things in camera that have never been done before, but she had prepped it all. It was super exciting to be part of that. She’s just got an incredible brain. She never loses her temper. She always is laughing and having a good time. This was a really big film, and I was just proud to be part of it.

Does it also feel like a very different kind of character for you?

JACKMAN: Yeah, it does, and a different genre character than anything I’ve done. This puts me more in the Bogart world. It’s very much a film noir romance. Coming off of doing Frank, Gary Hart and The Greatest Showman, it’s been a really interesting time for me, and I’m really loving having the variety of characters that I’ve been offered and am lucky enough to do, but this does feel very different. And I got to work with Rebecca Ferguson again, who I think is ridiculously talented and amazing, and I love her. I had never met Thandie Newton before, but I now am equally as impressed with her.

Hope we get a trailer soon. Also I'm curious who the composer will be. Ramin Djawadi would be very cool, since he has done such great job in Westworld.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"