Report: Michael B. Jordan Reportedly Being Considered for Superman

Discussion in 'DC Comics Films' started by Silver Surfer, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Power Cosmic

Following today's news that Henry Cavill is reportedly done with the role of Superman, Deadline reports that Warner Bros. has considered casting Michael B. Jordan in the role for future installments down the road.

Sources have reported that future Superman movies are several years out, but that Warner Bros. has been looking at different angles to take with future films, as they are aware the current DC universe has not seen the level of success with fans as they would like.

Superman: Michael B. Jordan Reportedly Being Considered to Replace Henry Cavill - IGN

2. Travesty

Travesty Well-Known Member

So Cavil is out, we're getting a Supergirl movie, they want Micahel B Jordon for the new Superman, Matt Reeves Batman is different than Affleck's, we're still getting a sequel to WW, Aquaman will be out soon, and we're getting a solo Joker movie.

[​IMG]

3. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

No signs of disarray here.

DaddlerTheDalek and Brutikus like this.
  4. Adder

Adder Well-Known Member

5. Quasimod0

Quasimod0 Bell-Ringer

I don’t think MBJ would be the right choice for Superman anyway, even if they were looking to cast black actor. He was a good fit for Human torch but I don’t think he’d be right for Supes.

Brutikus likes this.
  6. David H.

David H. Well-Known Member

Kind of wanted MBJ as Nightwing.

7. Deck Rickard

Deck Rickard Crashing into Blockbuster like whoa

Coming in 2020

The New Superman

Superman/Clark Kent: Michael B. Jordan
    Lois Lane: Rebecca Hall
    Lex Luthor: Christopher Eccleston
    Perry White: Jeff Bridges
    Brainiac: James Spader
    John Corben: Logan Marshall-Green
    Doomsday: Mickey Rourke

Brutikus likes this.
  8. Fincher

Fincher Too far gone

I mean, I've got no problem with Superman being black in general. I also don't have a problem with them saying Man of Steel/BvS/Justice League are no longer canon, even though I liked Man of Steel. But unless they've changed their minds about keeping the DCEU all technically canon, I don't see how they could cast Michael B. Jordan and expect people not to be confused, or more likely for the most part, just straight up assume it's a reboot.

Then again, maybe they have changed their minds, and this is their way of making it as clear as possible that the Cavill movies are out as canon.

9. Bruce Malone

Bruce Malone Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

DaddlerTheDalek and Brutikus like this.
  10. Dr.

Dr. Well-Known Member

I suppose this would mean that Jor-El and Lara were black. But what about cousin Kara? :thf:

Brutikus likes this.
  11. Bruce Malone

Bruce Malone Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Brutikus likes this.
  12. Fincher

Fincher Too far gone

I think she could still be white. I also think they'd prioritize her casting since they're going forward with her, so if they want a white actress for her in general, or a specific white actress, they won't go against that because of Michael B. Jordan.

13. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014 Champion

I categorize this under I will believe it when I see it. Even the article says a new Superman is years away, so a lot can change. I do agree with someone on MBJ. If Superman were to be black, someone like Idris Elba would scream Superman to me more than MBJ (Idris Elba was first name that came to my mind). I think he is a fine actor, but not really for Superman.

14. Fincher

Fincher Too far gone

Elba would be better, in theory, but I'd say he's aged out of the role. Although I agree with the point that MBJ doesn't really call to mind Superman.

Brutikus likes this.
  15. Dilly Dilly

Dilly Dilly Guest

As long as they don't race change Clark Kent & do something like Earth 23's Superman Im cool with it

Calvin Ellis

16. Frodo

Frodo Well-Known Member

Well there's a lot to process and I have to break down the news parts.

1) Am I fine with a Black, Latino, Asian actor playing Superman ? Yes , no issue there
    2) Is Michael B Jordan the actor I could see playing Superman? Not the first name that comes to mind, and he's a bit on the older side in terms of actors I'd want to play a rebooted Superman. Actually I see him more as Lex Luthor or even Bruce Wayne in Matt Reeves Batman .
    3) Could he pull off the role of Clark Kent/Superman? Yeah, I think he could so i'm not one of those fans who thinks he wouldn't be able to do a good job in the part.
    4) Am I fine with WB moving on from Cavill's Superman? Yes ,because that version has been written into a corner in addition to being divisive with fanboys and not resonating with the GA .
    5) Is a reboot the way to go? Yes imo
    6) Does WB know what they're doing and know the direction they're going in? You're guess is as good as mine.

17. Dr.

Dr. Well-Known Member

Trivia: if cast, MBJ would be the shortest Superman. :word:

Brutikus likes this.
  18. David H.

Let’s not...

Brutikus likes this.
  19. Jekecy

Jekecy Well-Known Member

This ain't happening. As is tradition with every new Superman recast cycle, there will be roughly a dozen names (including famous ones) which will be reported in the press for a good 2-3 years, before the actor ultimately cast is someone that came out of left field (publicity wise).

I'm not stressing this at all.

DaddlerTheDalek, Nathan and Brutikus like this.
  20. Dilly Dilly

Dilly Dilly Guest

But the thing is they can technically do a Black Superman as one does exist in the Comics its just not Clark Kent & its the WBs fault that the only Superman people know is Clark Kent

21. Lencho01

Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

To me it just sounds like one or more execs just threw his name out there since he's had some success with WB and non-WB films. There's a reason why that was just a sentence in the middle of an article rather than the headline itself.

Holiday likes this.
  22. lofoa82

lofoa82 Well-Known Member

All I can think now, is that within WB Studios top execs, there's a HUGE MARVEL FANBOY.

And he/she is having the time of his/her life...

23. lofoa82

lofoa82 Well-Known Member

Why people think that changing the race of a character will improve things?

I'm a latino and that doesn't mean I want a Latino Batman or Superman. I really respect and value the character's origins. They're a symbol. How they were initially conceived is how we have always pictured them. Idolized them.

This is not about discrimination. I'd complain as well in case there would be a white Black Panther.

WB is just doing cheap tricks for creating buzz. They're on a spiral of wrong decisions after wrong decisions. They don't cease to amaze me. When you think this can't be messed up anymore, they keep on raising the bar.

Why WW worked? Because the studio execs stayed away from it! They left Patty and her team work alone. Execs had their hands burned after BVS. This allowed Jenkins and her team to focus on telling her story, without forcing the movie to tie it to other 2 or 3 upcoming movies.

They don't even know where they're standing. They want drastic changes into what they have built, yet they don't want to let go at all either the convulted mess they created.

I think we already lost Geoff as well.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  24. David H.

Big difference is that nothing pivotal to the character really changes if Superman or Batman are played by black, Latino or Asian actors. Black Panther? Different story.

25. JannTosh

JannTosh Well-Known Member

Call me racist if you want but MBJ doesn’t seem like a good fit for Superman at all

Seems like WB wants to jump on the Black Panther train and this they think is the quickest way to do so

dsfjr1190, Daywalker89 and Brutikus like this.