Rian Johnson Directing Star Wars VIII!

I was at work when a co-worker told me this news today, and my actual out-loud reaction was, "YYYYYEEEEEEEAAAAASSSS!!!!!!!" He was on my wishlist to direct EpVII, so needless to say, I'm absolutely thrilled. Fantastic choice, imo. :up:

Great choice. LFL continues to amaze me in the talent they are bringing in. JJ is perfect to kick it off and give us the start of this story, and I'm sure Rian will evolve the story, and continue it onwards in a great fashion.

Hmm, I'm not following news, but why is JJ Abrams not directing the sequel to Episode 7?

Maybe he only wants to do one, or maybe Disney only wants him to do one to keep things fresh.

In the original trilogy we had three different directors.

Last edited:
My guess is that the choice comes from Disney, by doing the same the Original Trilogy did and the films were supposed to originaly do, having a different Director for every film.

I like this strategy, it lets each film Director do the best they can with the film they're given, instead of holding back for sequels.

Maybe he only wants to do one, or maybe Disney only wants him to do one to keep things fresh.

In the original trilogy we had three different directors.

JJ only wanted to do one, because he did not want to continue to move his family around. It's initially why he rejected doing Episode VII when he was first asked. JJ cares a lot about his family, and only really wants to do one for now.

What a great choice. Johnson is a fantastic director. Looper is one of my favourite sci-fi movies.

I LOVE this choice. Really don't need to say anything more than that.

Much better choice then the spin off ones so far

Well, considering being a part of the core saga is more important than just any spinoff, that's to be expected.

You would think though that Disney would want to treat the spin offs with a little bit more respect though. One guy is now known for cutting away from the action instead of showing it & the other guy they hired out of spite to piss off a rival studio. Disney can do better

Last edited:
Well I can only go by what I see so thats what Im doing. One thing for sure is Disney could have done much better with the spin off director searches. Its Star Wars what real director would not want a Star Wars movie on their resume ?

You're being over the top by saying that Trask was hired as a form of retaliation even though he's STILL working on Fantastic Four. It's illogical.

Well thats how I see things & thats based on me following that production & how Disney & MARVEL are reacting to it

Last edited:
I may not outright love movies like Brick or Looper, but I'm still a really big fan of Rian as a director – his style feels both competent and fresh. Love his work on Breaking Bad. This feels exciting.

Comparing it a bit to the OT I can feel like I would like Abrams for a A New Hope but that I would rather take Rian for a The Empire Strikes Back – if you get what I mean.

"Looper" writer-director Rian Johnson will write and direct "Star Wars: Episode VIII" and pen a treatment for Episode IX, a spokesperson for Johnson confirmed to The Times.

Johnson, who broke out as a director at the Sundance Film Festival in 2005 with his independent film "Brick," will take over George Lucas' franchise from J.J. Abrams, who is currently shooting "Star Wars: Episode VII" in London.

Johnson's producing partner Ram Bergman will join him on the film.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...nchise-writer-directorter-20140620-story.html

So there's important confirmation that was missed (from three days ago):
Johnson writing/directing Episode VIII.
Johnson writing the story treatment for Episode IX.

Even penning the treatment for Episode IX... Wow. I wonder how involved JJ will be with the franchise post-VII? Is he completely one and done, will he take a producing role (a real one, not in name only) so he can stay in LA with the family? Interesting times.

I bet he will have some capacity. Even as a kinda adviser like Kasdan.

You're being over the top by saying that Trask was hired as a form of retaliation even though he's STILL working on Fantastic Four. It's illogical.

Trask worked on the Sentinels, not FF.

LucasFilms are planning these movies more like a fanboy and less like George Lucas and I think it will pay off big time.

The practical effects, the indie actor cast, the sci-fi directors, etc.

I'm hoping the planets align and the fans get another classic trilogy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"