1.  2022 SuperHeroHype Awards

The 2022 Hype Award Season, hosted by Lily Adler and ComicChick is officially live!

The ballot is here! Voting will end Feb. 4th!

The SuperHeroHype Awards

Comedy Rian Johnson Invites You To The Benoit Blanc Mystery Thread

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by James.B, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Kane52630 BATMOBILE USER

Man this was phenomenal. It's as good as Knives Out and everyone in the cast rocked it, especially Janelle Monáe.

Also the cameos were fun and Kate Hudson had the best funny lines.

2. Kane52630 BATMOBILE USER

Oh and after it ended, I'm curious about
    Ethan Hawke's role. I'm assuming it was a red herring that he was the one behind it.

3. flickchick85 Admin of Might

[​IMG]

4. WorthyStevens Green Man

Just saw this for the second time today. Great replay value. There were a few shots which had details that were hidden in plain sight the first go round. Brilliant job by Rian. Great cast, direction, cinematography, set design, etc. I could go on.

Also, Kathryn Hahn can do no wrong.

Tempted to give this one a full 10/10; only thing that's deterring me is I felt Jessica Henwick was underused.

Scorpio likes this.
  5. Kane52630 BATMOBILE USER

The avvys threw me off.

[​IMG]

6. Gothamsknight A Dark Knight

Yeah I really want to rewatch this haha. This movie has a lot of small details and dialogue that is a lot to take in, even more than the first, but the movie is damn incredible for it. no joke, I had to pee real bad a little under an hour into it, but the film was so good that I almost forgot I had to go. Luckily made it till the end!

#881 Gothamsknight, Nov 25, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
    Scorpio likes this.
  7. Drizzle Registered

At first I thought, "Oh nice, Flickchick got to see it after all!" before I realized. :o

8. DarkKnight88 Registered

Sithborg, CaptainWagner and Scorpio like this.
  9. Closerframe Registered

Really enjoyed this more than the first. Happy to see the theater I was in being packed.

KaijuDude1992 and Scorpio like this.
  10. Doctor Jones Super Moderator

Yeah, this was terrific and pretty much as good as the first. Johnson can do wry social commentary but house it in a class A murder mystery with a twist and not preach to you. This is Craig's finest role since Bond. He's even better in this! I love this character.

I guess my only real note is
    Jessica Henwick was kind of there. Was she there to act as a sounding board for Kate Moss and a red herring? I wish there was a little more pay off with her at least.

11. The Chris TDK Trilogy Forever!

Oh my god this was so freakin’ great. Just as great as Knives Out in my opinion. I’m really loving this series so far. And Benoit Blanc has become one of my favorite characters really damn fast. I can’t wait for the next one!

12. Web-Head Running

Liked it but maybe not as much as the first. Felt the story nor the characters were as good as they were in Knives Out. It's been a long week though and i'm overtired so that might have played a part in it. Will definitely be checking it out again either shortly after it hits Netflix or a day next week before it leaves theaters.

flickchick85 likes this.
  13. samsnee Ok

I enjoyed it. It was definitely funnier than the first but the mystery was better in the first one. I also think I like the first mystery better. But the performances were great all around, and a lot of fun cameos, especially when we first see Blanc.

Hopefully the third one changes it up a bit and it isn’t another young female protagonist.

#888 samsnee, Nov 26, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
  14. Web-Head Running

I've seen a lot of people saying this one was funnier but I just don't see it. I rewatched the first one beforehand and I laughed out loud numerous times and here a lot of the humor just didn't land for me

15. CaptainWagner I'm A Worrier, It's What I Do (P) (he/him)

Was lucky enough to make it to a showing today. LOVED it. A few quibbles, but this is such an amazing series. Craig is perhaps even better as Blanc this time, Monae was outstanding and the rest of the cast was hilarious. Just a few quibbles.

I agree I wish Henwick's character had gotten more of a payoff to her storyline. Where even was she after the explosion?

I do hope for the third movie that Johnson stops running so much from the genre conventions. The twists in the form in both films are great but I wish there was more actual clues to unpack towards the ending.

Also the cameos were amazing, but a little bit sad when 50% of that Zoom call have passed away since filming. I do love that this is Angela Lansbury's final film role, though. Fitting for one great detective to go out in another's movie.

16. Snow Queen Maybe Someday (she/her)

Aside from a character not getting any real pay off to their arc, the one other thing I took issue with in this is there was some distracting shot-to-shot continuity. I don't tend to nitpick on that, but there were a lot of times where I just couldn't help but notice people flipping between positions from shot to shot.

flickchick85 likes this.
  17. samsnee Ok

This really deserves to be seen on the big screen.

I was 99% sure I saw Miles handing his drink to Duke. If I was watching this at home for the first time, I definitely would have rewound it to confirm, which would have spoiled the rest of the movie.

18. Drizzle Registered

He definitely did. I caught it too.

19. CaptainWagner I'm A Worrier, It's What I Do (P) (he/him)

I did notice this - same character, in fact.

Jessica Henwick during the scene leading up to Duke's death. It seemed she was in a different position in relation to Hudson with each shot, and in a few of them the bottle she was cradling was suddenly out of her hands and on the table.

Though maybe that's just us both watching her too closely :funny: Everyone in the cast looked great though. Excellent stylists on stafff.

Snow Queen likes this.
  20. samsnee Ok

I’m wondering if it was intentional on the director’s part to make us question our memory

21. Dr. From parts unknown

22. samsnee Ok

A non-superhero movie connects with audiences in movie theaters and gets sent to streaming.

23. henzINNIT Registered

Saw it last night as it was great. Another win for Johnson. Probably my favourite film of the year. Cast were wonderful and I love Blanc's holiday attire.

24. Gothamsknight A Dark Knight

This really should have gotten a wider theatrical release. the first one caught on with many people, so this movie should have gotten the same treatment. It's a fantastic sequel that stands on its own, and I'm grateful my local theater was playing it. I was sure they wouldn't, honestly.

25. Dr. From parts unknown

Glass Onion did much, much better than similar, prior releases (e.g., Roma, Red Notice, Power of the Dog, Army of the Dead, Don’t Look Up, etc.) So perhaps a different strategy will be considered for the 3rd Knives Out movie... :shrug:

Gothamsknight likes this.