Ridin’ with Biden: Four Years of Corvette Conservatism or Mustang Moderation?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by samsnee, Nov 7, 2020.

1. MagnarTheGreat Web Ninja

Biden's private polling had different numbers (close race) than the public polling from companies did. They didn't believe that public polling and they were correct.

Biden campaign manager: Race is 'far closer' than experts say (2020)

Almost 3 years is ages in politics. All presidents have lows and highs in approval years ahead of time that don't reflect the final result. George Bush didn't receive 90% of the vote in 2004 despite those being his early numbers after 9/11. Likewise Obama's nadir in polling never translated over - he won with 51% of the vote in 2012.

Incumbents have an inherent advantage over challengers, and the popular vote has been trending toward the Democrats since the 1980s. Those are two advantages going into 2024. Losing seats in Congress in the midterms almost always happens and has no direct bearing on the presidential elections.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#4976 MagnarTheGreat, Jan 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
  2. moviedoors Indeed (P)

So the polling approval numbers are... fake news?

Lily Adler and DarthSkywalker like this.
  3. MagnarTheGreat Web Ninja

4. MagnarTheGreat Web Ninja

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#4980 MagnarTheGreat, Jan 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
    Holy Slapper and squeekness like this.
  5. OtherwiseKnownAs We live inside a dream (P)(he/him/his)

6. DarthSkywalker My Hands Are Cold (he/him)

Well, I'll give Trump this. He never went to war with Russia.

shinlyle likes this.
  7. Lily Adler Politically Delicious (P) (she/her/hers)

8. DJ Kornphlake Registered (P)

Only because Putin wouldn't let him.

9. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

Blaming Biden for this is...

Putin had plans for this and he's on schedule. The seeds were planted long ago but the Trump admin. certainly watered them regularly.

I don't know what the alternative is other than allowing Russia a green light to gobble up the Baltic states against their citizen's wills. A unified NATO and Western Europe with the U.N. backing it would be a deterrent but we've spent years now undermining the alliance and our general geopolitical standing. We have the raw power to beat the snot out of Russia. No offense but any national news figure or commentator that keeps calling the Russian soldiers "battle hardened" is being silly. OUR soldiers, officers and our military system has been deployed all over for two decades. Russians? Really?

No, the issue is the spilling over of conflict and the addition of nuclear weapons. I don't want Americans killed over Ukraine. But if Putin is willing to go after these states where does it end? A Western Alliance in tatters is what Trump and the GOP produced, not Biden. This has been the strategic and tactical game Vlad has been playing instead of making his country a better place going back to when Obama was in office. I don't know what to do if he gets emboldened if we in the West collectively roll over. No one wants American feet on the ground in Ukraine and its border countries either in an equivalent occupation to Iraq.

The table was set long ago though. Vlad would be feasting whether Biden or Trump was POTUS, the difference is Trump was acting as waiter for five years.

RetrogradeOrbit and Holy Slapper like this.
  10. DarthSkywalker My Hands Are Cold (he/him)

The expansion of NATO is ridiculous. NATO shouldn't even exist anymore, much less pushing right into Russa's backyard. The Cold War is over people. Also while the situation in Ukraine is complicated, do you know who is complicating it right now? The US and it's allies. Ukraine itself is confused by the situation, because nothing has really changed from the Russian standpoint on the ground.

**** the Russian government. They are terrible. But the US wants conflict here, and my question is why? We are a country that just had years of complaints about Russian election meddling, while we do the same in their elections. We know, because our idiot government agents got themselves caught on camera saying it. So do we not hold ourselves to the same standards we do Russia?

11. MagnarTheGreat Web Ninja

The Cold War is definitely not over. Interrupted or delayed for some years in 1990s perhaps but that was all.

There should be more NATO not less. I would've expanded it a long time ago. The alliance keeps the peace between member states and tells non-member states not to mess with them (article V).

#4987 MagnarTheGreat, Jan 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    RetrogradeOrbit and Hobgoblin like this.
  12. CaptainWagner I'm A Worrier, It's What I Do (P) (he/him)

You say that as if the answer to "Do we not hold ourselves to the same standards we do *insert other nation here* ?" has been different since the very first settlers killed natives on the justification of defending *their* land. :o

13. DarthSkywalker My Hands Are Cold (he/him)

No, it's over. It ended decades ago. Just ask the USSR... oh wait, you can't.

As to NATO. Your answer, is to bully other nations through threatening open conflict and dire economic sanctions that does insane harm to human beings without any say in it. And you thought Trump's philosophy made us look bad?

#4989 DarthSkywalker, Jan 24, 2022
    shinlyle and Snow Queen like this.
  14. MagnarTheGreat Web Ninja

Defense of the alliance isn't bullying.

Russia has Ukraine surrounded with their army of 120,000+ troops and weapons for launching an attack on them. Has one been paying attention over the past few months?

I invite a start here: Discussion: Relations with Russia

They are doing that like they attacked Georgia and Ukraine and other countries in the past.

Those countries were able to be easily attacked militarily because they were not in NATO.

They attack the United States, France, and others using cyber capabilities constantly to install pro-Russia candidates and do their own form of economic warfare.

Putin's Russia aren't these ****ing underdogs in need of defending on a messageboard. They are a gas station run by gangsters with nuclear weapons. Their leader is a 20+ year dictator who is planning to be that until death. They are a way bigger and more imperialist North Korea.

Isolationism is what allowed Nazi Germany to succeed for so long before some of the isolationists finally woke up when the war came to their doorstep.

The Daily Beast - The Far-Right Book Every Russian General Reads
    Alexander Dugin is a far-right Russian theorist who might be dismissed as a crackpot if his ideas for a fascist empire weren’t required reading for Russia’s military high command.

#4990 MagnarTheGreat, Jan 24, 2022
  15. Marvolo Registered

Letting Russia overthrow Ukraine, annex it, and kill its citizen would look a lot worse than Trump's friendly approach to Russia.

We've been sanctioning and indulging Putin and his government of criminals for decades to little good effect. We've let them commit multiple acts of cyber warfare. We've let them interfere in our elections and help put Trump in the White House. We let them annex Crimea and we allowed their military to occupy a chunk of Georgia. We've let Russian oligarchs, criminals, and government officials interfere with and conspire with our citizens and our government. Its beyond time for NATO to intervene. Russian civilians probably will suffer, but thats nothing new. Putin has never put his people's needs ahead of his own greed and dreams of a reformed USSR. And I dont know why NATO should put the needs of Russia's people ahead of the needs of Ukraine.

16. Boy Scout Registered

I don’t know nearly enough about foreign policy for my opinion to matter, but I’m very curious: what, exactly, do you think the US should do if Russian invaded Ukraine?

17. Lily Adler Politically Delicious (P) (she/her/hers)

18. Lily Adler Politically Delicious (P) (she/her/hers)

The biggest factor here is nuclear war is the key threat with going to war with Russia. So it's hard for me to side with it no matter the reasoning behind it.

19. MagnarTheGreat Web Ninja

20. MagnarTheGreat Web Ninja

Vox - The Green Lantern Theory of the Presidency (2014)

Boy Scout likes this.
  21. MagnarTheGreat Web Ninja

NBC News - Justice Stephen Breyer to retire from Supreme Court, paving way for Biden appointment

NPR - Justice Stephen Breyer, an influential liberal on the Supreme Court, to retire

Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson was confirmed by the Senate 53-44 previously last year.

Ketanji Brown Jackson: Senate confirms key Biden judicial nominee - CNNPolitics

NY Times - Senate Confirms Biden’s 40th Judge, Tying a Reagan-Era Record (December 2021)
    President Biden saw more of his judicial nominees confirmed in his first year than any president since Ronald Reagan. The Senate confirmed 18 federal judges in Donald Trump’s first year.

#4998 MagnarTheGreat, Jan 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    Teelie likes this.
  22. MagnarTheGreat Web Ninja

Yahoo! News - Q4 GDP: US economy expanded at 6.9% annualized rate, topping expectations

The Washington Post - US economy grew 5.7% in 2021 in rebound from 2020 recession

Reuters - UPDATE 1-Biden urges Congress to immediately recognize Equal Rights Amendment

[​IMG]

Minneapolis Star Tribune - Biden admin. cancels leases for copper-nickel mine near Boundary Waters

#4999 MagnarTheGreat, Jan 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  23. Marvolo Registered

They keep bragging that the economy is growing but groceries, the ones we can get, are still stupidly over priced, labor is still short, and people are drowning in debt. Raising the GDP is not enough. Do more.