• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Ridin’ with Biden

We still have two years, midterms though...

tenor.gif

JILL BIDEN: "The diversity of this community, as distinct as the Bogotás of the Bronx, as beautiful as the blossums of Miami, and as unique as the breakfast tacos here in San Antonio." <crowd and first lady laughs>

There's a local food rivalry between Austin and San Antonio:

WHO INVENTED BREAKFAST TACOS? NOT AUSTIN—AND PEOPLE SHOULD **** ABOUT IT

But no city holds more righteous anger toward another than San Antonio has toward Austin. The venom is such that I’ve reduced it to a historical joke: The course of Tex-Mex food in America is such that it originates from the Rio Grande Valley, gets discovered in San Antonio—and then Austin takes all the credit for it. It’s a simplified, not-entirely-accurate equation (after all, fajitas went to Houston, while Fritos headed off to Dallas), but every time I tell that joke in the Lone Star State, people laugh. Hard. Even in Austin.

It may have been an attempt to credit San Antonio in her speech that people outside that bubble wouldn't get.

Last edited:
Justice Department Announces Reproductive Rights Task Force
The Task Force will monitor and evaluate all state and local legislation and enforcement actions that threaten to:

Infringe on federal legal protections relating to the provision or pursuit of reproductive care;
Impair women’s ability to seek reproductive care in states where it is legal;
Impair individuals’ ability to inform and counsel each other about the reproductive care that is available in other states;
Ban Mifepristone based on disagreement with the FDA’s expert judgment about its safety and efficacy; or
Impose criminal or civil liability on federal employees who provide reproductive health services in a manner authorized by federal law.

JILL BIDEN: "The diversity of this community, as distinct as the Bogotás of the Bronx, as beautiful as the blossums of Miami, and as unique as the breakfast tacos here in San Antonio." <crowd and first lady laughs>

There's a local food rivalry between Austin and San Antonio:

WHO INVENTED BREAKFAST TACOS? NOT AUSTIN—AND PEOPLE SHOULD **** ABOUT IT

It may have been an attempt to credit San Antonio in her speech that people outside that bubble wouldn't get.
Yeah as one of the "Latinos" I'm going to tell you right now, that isn't even close to the "only" issue with what the racist said. Though yes, boiling a person of color down to the food they can cook you? Definitely one.

It was like one of those cheap shout-outs that pro-wrestlers do for face pops or heel heat at a wrestling venue where they praise or bash the local sports team.

USA Today - Jill Biden's 'breakfast tacos' comment: FLOTUS responds to backlash
“The first lady apologizes that her words conveyed anything but pure admiration and love for the Latino community,” Biden's spokesperson Michael LaRosa tweeted Tuesday.
The backlash came fast after the speech, namely from the National Association of Hispanic Journalists.

"Using breakfast tacos to try to demonstrate the uniqueness of Latinos in San Antonio demonstrates a lack of cultural knowledge and sensitivity to the diversity of Latinos in the region," the organization wrote. "NAHJ encourages Dr. Biden and her speech writing team to (take) the time in the future to better understand the complexities of our people and communities.

"We are not tacos. Our heritage as Latinos is shaped by various diasporas, cultures & food traditions. Do not reduce us to stereotypes."

Florida GOP Sen. Marco Rubio responded to the first lady's comment by changing his Twitter profile picture to an image of a taco.
Janet Murguía, president and CEO of UnidosUS, did not address the controversy over the speech and tweeted that the group was "honored" to host Biden, noting: "She has been a great educator in, and a great amiga to, our community for years. Privileged to call her a friend."

It was like one of those cheap shout-outs that pro-wrestlers do for face pops or heel heat at a wrestling venue where they praise or bash the local sports team.

USA Today - Jill Biden's 'breakfast tacos' comment: FLOTUS responds to backlash
No. Because cheap pops aren't racialized by people who can't even be bothered to learn how to pronounce the words she's about to speak. She didn't say, "I can't wait to get some of your breakfast tacos". She called Hispanic people, breakfast tacos. She did this in a speech where in her attempt call us diverse, she boiled us down to localized stereotypes.

This is common. As one who remembers "taco trucks on every corner", it's clear how white people, especially of the ruling class, see the brown people. I live it and have seen the Latin Republicans play into it. Your attempts to explain it, isn't going to help. If this was Trump, one of his kids, or his wife, you'd be hollering. But because it's Biden's wife, you're playing defense.

I hate Republicans, but they appeal to Hispanic voters in higher numbers then you expect, because they talk to them on their level. A lot of Spanish speaking commercials on primary Spanish speaking networks, a lot of localized out reach by their Latino members. Dems think they just have to say they like the breakfast tacos in a broken accent to win over the votes. It's embarrassing.

Last edited:
Trump called Latinos from Mexico criminals and rapists in front of and for his white audience. He never meant well about anything so it shouldn't be equated with Jill Biden invoking a local culture stereotypically to a Latino audience. But fair enough that politicians speaking about any kind of people has to be handled more delicately as people are more than their culture or stereotypes. I'm moving along so that's the end of my replies on this for the time being.

More from the event: https://twitter.com/WeAreUnidosUS

Last edited:
So, most colleges give a false claim of job prospects because a college degree isn't worth nearly what it used to be. I doubt Biden will see it thay way though.

So, most colleges give a false claim of job prospects because a college degree isn't worth nearly what it used to be. I doubt Biden will see it thay way though.

Certain degrees certainly have more value than others. They're all more likely to get your foot in the door on a résumé or cv but as for actual earnings that's another discussion.

Yeah as one of the "Latinos" I'm going to tell you right now, that isn't even close to the "only" issue with what the racist said. Though yes, boiling a person of color down to the food they can cook you? Definitely one.
Yeah dont judge an entire group by their food.

Unless it's the British. Feel free to judge them for their "cuisine".:o

Trump called Latinos from Mexico criminals and rapists in front of and for his white audience. He never meant well about anything so it shouldn't be equated with Jill Biden invoking a local culture stereotypically to a Latino audience. But fair enough that politicians speaking about any kind of people has to be handled more delicately as people are more than their culture or stereotypes. I'm moving along so that's the end of my replies on this for the time being.

More from the event: https://twitter.com/WeAreUnidosUS
I've been to the Trump threads. His "gaffes" were treated like world enders. But thanks for downplaying the harmfulness of stereotypes. It's very helpful.

Biden shouted down a Hispanic man this week as well, for calling out his embarrassing attempt to claim a win on gun reform. Let me guess, that doesn't count either.

Yelling or heckling at the president is easier than yelling at the 535 voting members of Congress and the 9 robed monarchs I suppose. However it is those government people that are the reason why federal laws get watered down or erased.

McConnell Warns He Will ‘Paralyze’ the Senate

The reason everything from the infrastructure bill to the debt ceiling raise to the youth gun reform bill passed is that McConnell didn’t block them. McConnell expects to be paid in what’s called horse-trading. Nobody besides Rs would otherwise want a Meredith nomination, which still hasn’t happened yet as of this posting,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_f ... _Joe_Biden
https://ballotpedia.org/Federal_judges_ ... _Joe_Biden

We all have to work within the structures of government that we have, not the imaginary structures of government we wish we had.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"