Rio 2016, Summer Olympics

Oh nice, they can threaten for medals in upcoming Olympics & World Championships then. This time out they were helped a bit by the US and GB getting disqualified but looks like they have a good future.

The young American sprinter is Trayvon Bromell at 21, and he routinely gets beaten by DeGrasse. The other main guys are a bunch of relative geezers. But the great thing about American athletics is that nobody can compete with our depth. We never have to rebuild as there are always more athletes coming down the pike. It is why we dominate the medal count all the time. We can be beaten individually, but no other country is competitive in almost literally every sport the way we are. And we are really good at relays as well. Our best guy is not always better than the best guy of some other countries, but our fourth best guy is almost always better than their fourth best guy.

How come Lochte is in Dancing with the starts and not in Brazil doing community service.

The young American sprinter is Trayvon Bromell at 21, and he routinely gets beaten by DeGrasse. The other main guys are a bunch of relative geezers. But the great thing about American athletics is that nobody can compete with our depth. We never have to rebuild as there are always more athletes coming down the pike. It is why we dominate the medal count all the time. We can be beaten individually, but no other country is competitive in almost literally every sport the way we are. And we are really good at relays as well. Our best guy is not always better than the best guy of some other countries, but our fourth best guy is almost always better than their fourth best guy.
Yes you have crazy depth in all 4 relays. Jamaica are the first team to have comparable depth at the top level in 100m but I guess the US probably has thousands of people who can run in the low 10 seconds! And yes US just blows away everyone else overall when it comes to athletics medals.

How come Lochte is in Dancing with the starts and not in Brazil doing community service.

Is he in that? I thought he was charged by the Brazilian authorities for falsely reporting a crime and is meant to go back there to face these charges.

BTW, Jimmy Fallon did an impression of Lochte at the MTV video music awards with Michael Phelps in the audience. Phelps apparently loved his impersonation. Lochte wasn't there though.

I think now it's almost voluntary on whether he goes back unless he gets extradited. And I read another issue is that Brazil have flouted their side of the agreement when it comes to sending back people the US want.

And yes US just blows away everyone else overall when it comes to athletics medals.

That's what happens when you end up sending more athletes than any other country.

Except for the Winter Olympics. Norway, Germany and Canada usually end up at the top, regardless of how many athletes they send.

There aren't any swimming meets coming up in Brazil anytime soon are there? Because if there are, then I see Lochte giving those a miss.

That's what happens when you end up sending more athletes than any other country.

Except for the Winter Olympics. Norway, Germany and Canada usually end up at the top, regardless of how many athletes they send.
All those athletes have to meet the qualifying requirements though. And a big chunk of US athletes are at the least Olympic final candidates if not medal chances. For me they are sending a lot of athletes because they have strong athletes and strength in depth in most athletic events.

I don't know much about the Winter Olympics to be honest. :O

I don't find the Winter Olympics interests me as much. I'm generally not a winter person anyway.

US usually ends up around 4th or 5th in the winter.

Don't forget swimmer Penny Oleksiak from Canada. She is only 16 and went home with her fair share of medals and tied a record with Manuel. There is also the diver Daley from UK who I could see doing maybe one or two more olympics.

April Ross will probably be back for women's volleyball, but no idea who her partner will be.

I kinda hope the women from the Czech Republic comes back for her 8th olympics :eek:

Don't forget swimmer Penny Oleksiak from Canada. She is only 16 and went home with her fair share of medals and tied a record with Manuel. There is also the diver Daley from UK who I could see doing maybe one or two more olympics.

April Ross will probably be back for women's volleyball, but no idea who her partner will be.

I kinda hope the women from the Czech Republic comes back for her 8th olympics :eek:

He didn't do very well this year, and didn't even qualify for the 10M finals. They should rename the Tom Daley diving academy in Stratford to the Jack Laugher diving academy. :o

He didn't do well? I saw him in synchro and maybe it was one of the qualifying events for one of the diving events but he was really good in that.

He didn't do well? I saw him in synchro and maybe it was one of the qualifying events for one of the diving events but he was really good in that.

He got bronze in the synchro 10 m platform, but for the individual 10m platform he didn't even qualify for that final.

But Jack Laugher and Chris Mears of GB got gold in the syncro 3m platform and Jack Laugher got silver in the 10m individual platform (or was it 3m individual platform?).

So they both did better than Daley, who is no relation to Tim Daly or Tyne Daly. :oldrazz:

Don't forget swimmer Penny Oleksiak from Canada. She is only 16 and went home with her fair share of medals and tied a record with Manuel.
How many did she get?

Seems like loads of good young prospects.

She's definitely one to watch. It's really cool to be able to get to Olympic competition level at such a young age. Was she the youngest swimmer competing this year?

Katie Ledecky was only 15 when she won in London.

I don't know her total medal count, but I think she was the youngest.

I know people don't care about women's bball but I'm really hoping sue bird comes back to get her 5th gold medal. I've been a huge fan of hers since I was in high school and she's just an amazing point guard. She's one of the most respected wnba players, particularly from their nba counterparts as well. I think I'd liken her to Stockton maybe.

Will Allyson Felix come back? After how she lost that one race, I don't think she's done with that

She might fancy a few easy relay golds at least. ;)

Penny Oleksiak has a bit of a tie with Dallas, Texas as her older brother Jamie plays for the Stars in the NHL and he's a pretty good player.

As for the Winter Olympics, there's an Olympics with very few African Americans. The most notable is Shani Davis, the speed skater. His Olympic success has seen very little in terms of African Americans in his sport, but things could be different with the success of Simone Manuel in the pool. But if Simone Manuel proves that African Americans can swim, who says that they can't ski or snowboard? One day, maybe skiing and snowboarding can have their own "Simone Manuel" in that there's a black person (African American) in that sport who comes out of nowhere and wins a gold medal in a predominately white sport and causes social media to "light up" like Simone did that night she made history. Simone was trending #1 on social media the night she made history.

I don't know her total medal count, but I think she was the youngest.

I know people don't care about women's bball but I'm really hoping sue bird comes back to get her 5th gold medal. I've been a huge fan of hers since I was in high school and she's just an amazing point guard. She's one of the most respected wnba players, particularly from their nba counterparts as well. I think I'd liken her to Stockton maybe.

Will Allyson Felix come back? After how she lost that one race, I don't think she's done with that

Allyson will be 34 in Tokyo, which is ancient in track and field. I think she may try for Tokyo, but could also crash and burn at the US Trials like London 400 Meter Gold Medalist Sanya Richards Ross did in July (and Sanya retired as a result. She did a good job as a track commentator for NBC). In track and field, USA is so deep in prospects, and one such example is in the Women's 100 Meter Hurdles, in which Kenya Harrison did not make the Olympic team, but has the world record.

Don't black people ski or snowboard? And I have seen some at the swimming pool. Maybe fewer in comparison to others, but still present nevertheless.

Don't black people ski or snowboard? And I have seen some at the swimming pool. Maybe fewer in comparison to others, but still present nevertheless.

Some probably do for recreation, but professionally is non-existent. As an Asian American, I don't see many Asian Americans in swimming or skiing or snowboarding either, but Asians are prominent in all three sports professionally, morseo than Blacks. I watch a lot of Snowboarding, and there are usually a few Japanese and Korean competitors, but all of the Americans? White. In the pool, there were plenty of Chinese and Japanese swimmers, plus a Singaporean in Joseph Schooling.

For black people to break through in skiing and snowboarding, they have to have a black skier or snowboarder medal in an Olympics. For Simone Manuel to do what she did is a possible game changer for the sport, which could make the sport of swimming a lot more diverse. NBC Swimming Commentator Rowdy Gaines was excited to see Simone win the 100 Freestyle saying it could be "huge for the sport." Same could go for the one Black person who medals in a Winter Olympics in skiing or snowboarding.

Swimming, skiing, snowboarding and NASCAR (to name a few) could use some diversity (hockey has more black athletes I think that those sports combined). In America, the big three (MLB, NBA and NFL) are what they are due to the diversity of their sports.

Allyson will be 34 in Tokyo, which is ancient in track and field. I think she may try for Tokyo, but could also crash and burn at the US Trials like London 400 Meter Gold Medalist Sanya Richards Ross did in July (and Sanya retired as a result. She did a good job as a track commentator for NBC). In track and field, USA is so deep in prospects, and one such example is in the Women's 100 Meter Hurdles, in which Kenya Harrison did not make the Olympic team, but has the world record.

It's crazy. And even without her you took a clean sweep of the medals!

It's crazy. And even without her you took a clean sweep of the medals!

It's so deep in the 100 meter hurdles that Lolo Jones, Dawn Harper and Kellie Wells, the three Olympians from 2012 did not even make the US Team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"