Rio 2016, Summer Olympics

It's so deep in the 100 meter hurdles that Lolo Jones, Dawn Harper and Kellie Wells, the three Olympians from 2012 did not even make the US Team.

Bloody bad place. If they did 4x100m hurdles relays you could probably take all the medals there too lol (if you were actually allowed to field 3 teams).

He didn't do well? I saw him in synchro and maybe it was one of the qualifying events for one of the diving events but he was really good in that.

He finished first in the preliminaries and then completely flopped in the semis, finishing last.

Okay, I have a bit of an issue with track and field in the USA:

It's the lack of relevancy in the sport (due to it's tainted past) that is likely the reason that Allyson Felix is not on the same type of list as athletes like LeBron James, Serena Williams, Michael Phelps, Cam Newton, Tom Brady, Simone Biles, whoever the most recognizable face in MLB is now that Jeter has retired, among others in terms of household American sports names that casual fans recognize. That is too bad because Felix would be the reason for the sport to be relevant again in the United States, just like how Phelps made swimming relevant again in the US (with Katie Ledecky possibly continuing making the sport relevant). She has the accolades and everything else that you look for.

The casual sports fan in America sees LeBron James in a non-basketball commercial and thinks "basketball player" and likewise Cam Newton for football. If they see Allyson Felix in a commercial and she doesn't run track in that commercial, the casual sports fan may think she's an actress.

If she doesn't come back for 2020, it was a lost opportunity for USA Track and Field IMO, to make her a household name that casuals recognize ala LeBron and Cam. The biggest name in her sport that most casual sports fans probably recognize is Usain Bolt.

i know nike has signed Felix to an endorsement deal and are starting to use her more in their campaigns. i get emails from them frequently, and i've noticed this even before the olympics took place this year

i know nike has signed Felix to an endorsement deal and are starting to use her more in their campaigns. i get emails from them frequently, and i've noticed this even before the olympics took place this year

That's a bit of a start. USA Track and Field has had a few crossover stars but not in a very long time. Allyson needs to be a crossover, household name like Cam Newton and LeBron James. If anyone can repair the image of USA Track and Field that was tainted by Marion Jones (as well as others) it's her, provided of course, she returns in 2020.

Ryan Lochte was suspended for 10 months after the Rio stunt he pulled. I think the others face suspension too.

I saw some videos on it on YouTube and wanted to reply, but comments were disabled. :o

Gee, I wonder why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"