RIP Celebrity Thread - Part 4

Kurt Thomas, the first American male gymnast to win a gold medal at the World Championships, has died of complications from a stroke at 64.

1aad3fab012f452634c3446dfaefc7b9

Kurt Thomas, U.S. gymnastics’ first world champion, dies at 64

I don't think I could do that....

Too bad and too young.

R.I.P. Dennis "Denny" O'Neil. People understandably talk a lot about his runs on Green Lantern/Green Arrow & Batman, but it was his Iron Man run in the 80s (when Rhodey replaced Stark for a while) that initially made me familiar with him. A comics legend.

Aw, Jeeez :csad: A true comics legend. RIP Denny O'Neil. A huge influence on my early comics reading life. Thanks for everything - especially dark Batman.

RIP Denny O'Neil. He helped redefine what Batman was in the early 70s ,by bringing the character back to his darker roots.

Frank Miller often gets the credit for starting that, but it was really Denny O'Neil who started it more than a decade before Miller's Dark Knight Returns and Year One.

R.I.P. Dennis "Denny" O'Neil. People understandably talk a lot about his runs on Green Lantern/Green Arrow & Batman, but it was his Iron Man run in the 80s (when Rhodey replaced Stark for a while) that initially made me familiar with him. A comics legend.
I will say this until my dying breath: Dennis O’ Neil is the single most important Batman writer after Bill Finger.

RIP to a comics legend.

Singer Ricky Valance has died at the age of 84. His agent said he had been in ill health for several months.

Valance, who was born David Spencer, became the first Welshman to have a solo UK Number One hit with the song Tell Laura I Love Her in 1960, selling more than a million copies. It spend 16 weeks in the chart, three of those at number one.

In 2015, he was given an award at a St David's Day concert at the Wales Millennium Centre for being the first Welshman to have a UK Number One hit.

In 2017, he released a final single, called Welcome Home, to raise money for the Royal Air Force Museum and RAF Association.

Singer Ricky Valance dies aged 84

RIP

I just saw something really interesting that it was two Denny O’Neil villains that kicked off both the Dark Knight Trilogy and the MCU: Ra’s Al Ghul in Batman Begins and Obidiah Stane in Iron Man. What a lasting legacy.

RIP

This one hurts. Denny was one of the few remaining links to the golden age having been of the generation that first came to know comics and grow up with them and super hero characters as a given. His career as writer would have been enough for comics but his editorial guidance and mentoring of talent is another of his legacies. People we regard as comic book legends today began work under Denny. Denny's work was always something you could point to and say, "That? That's what can be done with this medium." It's not just family friendly kids entertainment... It never was. It's pulpy, it's fantastical, but you have to believe the characters and situations are real and have some urgency to them. There has to be some kind of "realness", otherwise it's just mental *********ion with bright colored action figures. There's always been a handful of comic book greats I've always wanted to meet. Definitely in the top 5 was Denny.

And lest we forget... Denny gave us these:

green-lantern-green-arrow-nazi.png

a82c856592e318ee4619bbec3a83863511-lantern-3.w710.jpg

24033586._SY540_.jpg

This one hurts. Denny was one of the few remaining links to the golden age having been of the generation that first came to know comics and grow up with them and super hero characters as a given. His career as writer would have been enough for comics but his editorial guidance and mentoring of talent is another of his legacies. People we regard as comic book legends today began work under Denny. Denny's work was always something you could point to and say, "That? That's what can be done with this medium." It's not just family friendly kids entertainment... It never was. It's pulpy, it's fantastical, but you have to believe the characters and situations are real and have some urgency to them. There has to be some kind of "realness", otherwise it's just mental *********ion with bright colored action figures. There's always been a handful of comic book greats I've always wanted to meet. Definitely in the top 5 was Denny.

And lest we forget... Denny gave us these:

green-lantern-green-arrow-nazi.png

a82c856592e318ee4619bbec3a83863511-lantern-3.w710.jpg

24033586._SY540_.jpg
I had that entire original run....then in late 80's had to sell 95% of my comic collection. I have them now in the reprint editions. Masterpieces of writing and art.
RIP Denny O'Neil.

Former snooker star and BBC commentator Willie Thorne has died at the age of 66, says World Snooker.

Thorne was diagnosed with leukaemia in March and was taken to hospital in Spain last week with dangerously low blood pressure.

Thorne reached two World Championship quarter-finals during his career and won the 1985 Mercantile Credit Classic. He twice reached a world ranking of seven and spent 20 years among the top 32, before moving into a commentary career spanning more than 30 years with BBC, ITV and Sky.

Snooker favourite Thorne dies aged 66

One of the names of UK snooker back in the day. Achieved a maximum (147) break at the 1987 UK Championship, claimed to have made almost 200 maximum breaks in all, and was known as "Mr Maximum." Never a world champion but always popular and entertaining to watch.

RIP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"