Road to Damnation Mini - Pre Release Discussion

I was just lookin' at those... marvelling at those actually. VERRY nice...

And that teaser thingie for series is freakin' awesome!! Is there any way to save that? Man... so nice.

Awesome! Thanks MM. Great addition to my Ghost Rider collection.

Cool!
thanks for the tip FH...i also noticed this:

UPCOMING: OCTOBER 2005
GHOST RIDER # 1 DIRECTOR'S CUT
Written by Garth Ennis
Pencils & Cover by Clayton Crain

This all-new expanded edition reprints GHOST RIDER #1, plus a hefty helping of high-octane DVD-style extras - including Garth Ennis's original series proposal; published and unpublished cover sketches by Clayton Crain; and a soup-to-nuts behind-the-scenes featurette detailing the progression from script to thumbnail to final art.
48 pages :: Parental Advisory :: $3.99

now why couldnt they have had those extras on the original 1st issue? Lame marketing attempt by Marvel if you ask me. seems they are trying to go the same route many companies are doing w/ their dvd releases :down :mad:

but anyway...this caught my eye...."Parental Advisory"....heh.
i think this is the very first time a GR comic is being released w/ that warning. very nice :up:

I don't think a reprint of this comic is necessary... but they know all of us freako's are gonna buy it.

I hope they don't reprint the entire series again. I wanna see some new stuff.

Just a little tidbit from MSJ's update in this thread; http://www.superherohype.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188064

-- Will the movie have any of the same elements of the upcomming Ghost Rider comic. Like is Matt Long's story much like what happens in Garth Ennis's storyline or are they completly seperate things?

I haven't read Garth's storyline, but I do understand that we both thought up the same idea -- that the Ghost Rider is a bounty hunter from bad place!

Anybody know when exactly this one is coming out? Which week of September?

MSJ " but I do understand that we both thought up the same idea -- that the Ghost Rider is a bounty hunter from bad place!"

So it was not a carefully planned coordination between comic and movie.....but a coincidence....Amazing luck....one might even say unbelievable.

Yeah, it's pretty neat that they both have the same kinda concept... though it's a little disappointing that they're not related more than that. It may confuse some people...

I just found out from this thread; http://www.superherohype.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193376

... that the comic comes out in the first week of September; (On-Sale 9/7/05). Yee-haw!!

When was the last time Ghost Rider even has his own comic series??

BrollySupersj said:
When was the last time Ghost Rider even has his own comic series??

Hey, man.
The last time GR has an ongoing series was in 1998. On february that year the title was cancelled, in the 93th issue.
A sad day to us all, hardcore GR fans.
But it was not the worse part, no sir.
The series ended without an end. The final issue of the last saga, "The last temptation", who explains the origin of the Spirit of Vengeance, would happens in # 94, unpublished, on a very sadistic move of Marvel comics.
Absolutely no respect for the fans.
He returns in 2000-2001, on the "Hammer Lane", a six-issue mini-series.
Very bad stuff, believe me.
And as it seems, the triumphant return will happens in september 2005, by Garth Ennis and Clayton Crain, once again, 6-part mini-series.
Of couse we all want a ongoing series, but it´s a start.
Well, i hope it help you.
Take care.

By the way, if you interested, you can read the unpublished script for Ghost Rider #94 and see a image of what the cover would have been here;

http://www.vengeanceunbound.com/news07.html

I'm still so pissed that they never even bothered to print it. So freakin' sad.

Marvel released their info for November, including this piece of cover art for the 3rd issue in the series.

GRv403clean.jpg

Info was found here: http://www.vengeanceunbound.com/upcoming.html

pretty trippy lookin there...
i assume that in the comics the demons will look mostly human so it can be somewhat similar w/ the demons in the movie. cant wait for the book now.....just a few more weeks though.

I'm not sure if they had the movie in mind at all when developing this comic, from reading MSJ's comments. It's interesting that it's happened that way though.

A few short weeks indeed. I can barely wait...

I cant wait for the new GR series.We have not had good Gr issues since the beginning of ketch's run.

I hear that. I think all of us here are foamin' at the mouth for the first week of September.

I never really followed Ghost Rider or liked the character much. I picked up a copy of Ultimate Spider-Man Annual at my local comic shop, and I received a copy of Comic Shop News. After reading the interview with Clayton Crain, I must say that I becamse a bit more interested in the title (maybe because my birthday is in September, and i'll be able to afford the book). Anyways, I find there is more fun in jumping into a book from its begining, than later on when you have a lot of ground to cover. I know the Ghost Rider is a pretty old character. For the longest time, I didn't even know that Dan Ketch had died, leaving John Blaze to return to being the only Ghost Rider. Basically, i'm just trying to find out if i'm going to have to study up on the character, or if thie new Ennis/Crain run is going to be an all new take on an old character. Even if it is going to be backstory heavy, i'll probably pick the book up, just because I like the idea of collecting a six issue run. Comic values have jumped up lately. House of M #1's Quesada variant cover is worth $30. New Avengers #2 is worth $80. How much could a Ghost Rider mini series be worth down the road? I think that is a nice feeling...to own something of worth, because of its mark on history.

I don't think it's a restart, it seems to me that John Blaze has finally run out of time and his soul was collected by Mephisto to remain in bad place for all time. so I guess it's more of a continuation. The previous GR was not Zarathos which is the demon that posesses Blaze, I hope they do touch on just how Mephisto did finally get Blaze though.

There's an article about this very question that I found yesterday. Had to sign up to the site to get it but here it is...

Breathing new life into 'Ghost Rider'

By ANDREW A. SMITH
August 29, 2005

With "Ghost Rider" blazing onto screens in 2006 (as played by Nicolas Cage), it was inevitable that Marvel Comics would revive this long-defunct character. The only question remaining is: Which one?

Originally, Ghost Rider was a Western character, a lawman named Rex Fury who pretended to be a ghost with the help of glow-in-the-dark phosphorescence. His costume glowed, his horse glowed and he often went about, ironically, exposing crooks who were also pretending to be supernatural (although he did meet a vampire or two).

Advertisement

He first appeared as a character named The Calico Kid in the back pages of "Tim Holt" No. 5 (March 1949) by Magazine Enterprises, which starred the movie star of the same name. In issue No. 11, however, editor Vin Sullivan (Superman's first editor), writer Ray Krank and artist Dick Ayers abruptly revamped the character as the pseudo-spook, who was a lot more popular than The Calico Kid, and received his own title. But the Comics Code of 1954 put a damper on spooky characters, and "Ghost Rider" was canceled with its 14th issue. GR began appearing less and less, finally disappearing altogether - along with Magazine Enterprises - in 1955.

Until Marvel Comics lifted the character almost wholesale for a short-lived series in 1967. This very familiar Ghost Rider was still drawn by Ayers, but was now secretly schoolteacher Carter Slade. Unfortunately, the Rider's second go-round only lasted seven issues. A brief revival in 1970's "Western Gunfighters" followed (albeit with federal Marshal Lincoln Slade, Carter's brother, as the new civilian identity), before this character slipped into a series of reprints (for various reasons renamed "Night Rider" and then "Phantom Rider"). There is still a glow-in-the-dark Phantom Rider active in the modern West in Marvel Comics (who is a real ghost), but his appearances are infrequent.

Which brings us to the best-known version of the character.

In 1972's "Marvel Spotlight" No. 5, Marvel re-imagined the character as Johnny Blaze, a modern-day motorcycle stunt rider for a circus. Blaze made a deal with the devil to save the life of his employer (and his girlfriend's father) - and you know how those deals usually go. Cursed to host the demon Zarathos, Blaze would periodically turn into a phantom biker who appeared to be, for all intents and purposes, a blazing skeleton in cycle leathers.

The story wasn't much, but the visual was striking, and GR had a hot run for a few years. He eventually faded, but the flaming-biker look was just too cool to abandon. Marvel re-launched the character in his own title in 1990, although this time the secret identity was high-school student Danny Ketch.

Ketch was later revealed to be Blaze's long-lost brother, but even the re-introduction of the original stunt rider didn't save the series. Once again, that hot visual gave the character brief sales success, followed by oblivion.

Which brings us to September's "Ghost Rider" No. 1 (of 6, $2.99). Written by superstar Garth Ennis and drawn by Clayton Crain, it would be fair to wonder whether this blazing biker will star Rex Fury, Carter Slade, Lincoln Slade, Johnny Blaze or Danny Ketch.

Which actually isn't that much of a mystery. Although Marvel hasn't mentioned a civilian ID for the new book, Sony's movie and a new GR videogame by Climax Entertainment (both due next year) star Johnny Blaze. Plus, Marvel is releasing Blaze's first 29 adventures in "Essential Ghost Rider" Vol. 1 ($16.99) this month. As the most popular of the various Ghost Riders, and as Ketch and both Slades are dead, Blaze is where to place your bet.

Elsewhere in September:

- DC Comics revived Hal Jordan as their flagship Green Lantern a few months ago, which meant his organization couldn't be far behind. Ergo, "Green Lantern Corps: Recharge" No. 1 (of 6, $3.50).

- Comics legend Jack Kirby was renowned for a lot of major titles, but one secret pleasure was his relatively obscure "Kamandi, the Last Boy on Earth" for DC in the '70s. Kamandi was a survivor of a great cataclysm (he was named for his bunker, Command D), and when he emerged he was faced with a "Planet of the Apes" scenario, where all animals were sentient and quite chatty. If that sounds like fun, check out "Kamandi Archives" Vol. 1 ($49.99).

- DC's "A History of Violence" will soon be a movie (starring Viggo Mortensen), so naturally it's being re-released ($9.99).

(Contact Andrew Smith of the Memphis Commercial Appeal at capncomics(at)aol.com or visit www.captaincomics.us/forums.)

Source: http://www.kitsapsun.com

nice find FH!
very nice article i thought....funny how he didnt mention "Hammer Lane". i guess everyone really does want to forget that series ever happened :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"