Robert Eggers Nosferatu

LoganGambit87

Sidekick
Reaction score
‘Witch’ Director Robert Eggers’ Lifelong Obsession with ’Nosferatu’ and His Plans For a Remake

Robert Eggers, the writer/director behind the indie horror hit “The Witch,” confirmed with IndieWire that his next film will be the remake of “Nosferatu” for former Warner Bros. President Jeff Robinov’s Studio 8. While a guest on IndieWire’s Filmmaker Toolkit podcast, Eggers said he never intended for his next film to be a remake of the 1922 iconic horror classic by the legendary German director F. W. Murnau.

“[It’s shocking] to me,” said Eggers. “It feels ugly and blasphemous and egomaniacal and disgusting for a filmmaker in my place to do ‘Nosferatu’ next. I was really planning on waiting a while, but that’s how fate shook out.”

Eggers’ history with the vampire story of Count Orlok, played by Max Schreck, goes back a long way. Growing up, he was hooked on classic horror films from Universal and Hammer Studios, not being able to handle the scarier 1980s American films like “Nightmare on Elm Street.”

“I saw a picture of Max Schreck as Count Orlok in a book in my elementary school and I lost my mind,” said Eggers. Afterward, Eggers made his mother drive to the mall in rural New Hampshire so they could order a VHS of the 1922 classic.“Then, when I was 17, I directed the senior play [of] ‘Nosferatu,'” said Eggers. “It was very expressionist, it was much more expressionist than the film is. It was ‘Cabinet of Dr. Caligari’ style [German Expressionistic].”

A local theater owner saw the high school performance and hired the teenager to re-stage the play professionally.

“That’s when I realized this is what I want to be doing,” said Eggers. “‘Nosferatu’ has a very close, magical connection for me. Though if I were to make the movie 17-year-old Rob was going to make of ‘Nosferatu’ it would have been something between like ‘The Nightmare Before Christmas’ and ‘Sin City,’ whereas this is going to be the same approach as ‘The Witch,’ where 1830s Biedermeier Baltic Germany needs to be articulated in a way that seems real.”

During the podcast, Eggers breaks down how his obsession with history informed the script and look of “The Witch,'”something he says will continue with the vampire remake. The former production designer explained how capturing the look and feel of the past is a product of the emotional, almost memory-like, images that are evoked for him during his deep research he does in writing scripts.

In addition to building “real” 1830s interiors, another key change will his approach to the lead character of the film.

“I can’t also do Max Schreck again either, so that’s fun, so it’s going back to the origins of the folk vampire,” said Eggers, who is also writing the script.
http://www.indiewire.com/2016/11/fi...he-witch-robert-eggers-episode-12-1201745594/

‘Witch’ Director Robert Eggers’ Lifelong Obsession with ’Nosferatu’ and His Plans For a Remake

And there came a day unlike any other, when the original movies became an endangered species.

I absolutely love the original Nosferatu and Herzog's remake was interesting take on the material, I'm really curious about this new one.

Oh holy ****. He's making this after all?

I'm there opening day. I'll watch anything this guy directs.

Last edited:
And there came a day unlike any other, when the original movies became an endangered species.

This is a somewhat ridiculous complaint to make in relation to a single film. Original films aren't any more endangered now than when Hammer was cranking out remakes of Universal films in the 50s.

Was overall disappointed with The Witch, but the direction and world building wasn't the problem. I'm certainly interested to see what he does with this.

The 1979 remake is good so there is no need for another remake.

Split’ Star Anya Taylor-Joy Reteams With ‘Witch’ Director on ‘Nosferatu’ Remake (EXCLUSIVE)

After breaking out in his psychological thriller “The Witch,” Anya Taylor-Joy is looking to reteam with director Robert Eggers on his new take on a cinematic classic.

Sources tell Variety that the “Split” actress is in negotiations to star in Studio 8’s remake of “Nosferatu.”

Eggers is writing and directing the pic. The 1922 silent movie followed the vampire Count Orlok of Transylvania, who wants to buy a house in Germany and becomes enamored of the real-estate agent’s wife. It was an unofficial adaptation of Bram Stoker’s “Dracula,” and Werner Herzog directed a 1979 remake.

Jay Van Hoy and Lars Knudsen’s Parts and Labor will produce.

Eggers has already signed a deal with Studio 8 and is attached to direct “The Knight” for the studio. Jon Silk brought the “Nosferatu” project to Studio 8.

Eggers wanted to reteam with Taylor-Joy on the film early in the process, but after she became a bona fide movie star in M. Night Shyamalan’s hit “Split,” the young actress’ schedule has filled up. She is currently filming Josh Boone’s X-Men film “New Mutants”and is also signed on for the “Split” and “Unbreakable” sequel “Glass,” which also stars James McAvoy, Bruce Willis, and Samuel L. Jackson.

Taylor-Joy is repped by CAA and Troika.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/s...-director-on-nosferatu-remake-1202527484/amp/

tumblr_olaugmEmmw1qi6ht9o1_r1_500.gif

Yass.

Absolutely loved The Witch, so this is a Day one for me.

Can't wait to see her take on Count Orlok! Because that's who she's gonna play, right? Right?

I assume she's playing Ellen Hutter.

Nah, Herzog's Nosferatu is so much fun. At least for Roland Topor's performance.

Can someone fuse this thread with the other Nosferatu-thread?

Robert Eggers on Status of Nosferatu, Prepping Next Film
We had to ask about the status of his Nosferatu remake… which sounds somewhat alive, although Eggers is ambiguous about whether it’s his next movie.

“Look, I spent so many years and so much time, just so much blood on it, yeah, it would be a real shame if it never happened,” Eggers says. He then adds, “But also, I don’t know, maybe Nosferatu doesn’t need to be made again, even though I’ve spent so much time on that.”

If there's a guy to remake it, it's him. Besides it's just Dracula. Herzog remade it himself.

If there's a guy to remake it, it's him. Besides it's just Dracula. Herzog remade it himself.

I was about to post the same thing. I've never understood the hype around remaking this. Its just Dracula... Again. Shadow of the Vampire was about good new take on this material gets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"