Robert Pattinson IS The Batman

I realise this isn't the costume thread but this is one of those shots in the film that IMO highlights the need for the nose of the mask to come to more of a point, it looks like his nose is constantly being crushed.

It reminds me of Doctor Lector's caged mask in Silence of The Lambs when his nose is squashed.

I realise this isn't the costume thread but this is one of those shots in the film that IMO highlights the need for the nose of the mask to come to more of a point, it looks like his nose is constantly being crushed.

The designers and Pattinson have remarked on how this cowl actually doesn't stunt his breathing/nose. The pinch was always worse for previous actors.

This mask is perfect. The point isn't overtly necessary and usually only noticeable from above. We still get the feel of a pointy nose from the sides or quarter angles...

The designers and Pattinson have remarked on how this cowl actually doesn't stunt his breathing/nose. The pinch was always worse for previous actors.

This mask is perfect. The point isn't overtly necessary and usually only noticeable from above. We still get the feel of a pointy nose from the sides or quarter angles...
Agreed.

I actually like the aesthetics of the squared off look too, for breathability and not affecting his pursed lip intense look or his ability to speak, but also because it makes him look like a fighter.

The pointed nose, and closed off nostrils in combo with the AC needing to make Gotham look like winter (thus constricting the already tight rubber cowl) is why Bale had that permanent stupid duck mouth agape look on his face for much of TDK Rises.

It's between this returns and knights suit for me.
Only thing holding TDK / TDKR back for me, is the absolutely too low key chest logo, that is borderline indecipherable. And the jigsaw puzzle lower body isn't great either.

And the fact the cowl in Rises gave Bale this weird wrinkly thin lip, agape, duck mouth look the entire movie.

Returns for me is far too glossy, and actually rubbery looking. Prefer the mean as hell matte black of 89, the chunkier cowl hiding his identity more, creating hollow shadows over his eyes, the more leathery bat wing cape, the more unique chest logo, and the armored forearm guards that disappear for sleekness purposes in the sequel. And 89 does the organic Greco Roman gladiator musculature body armor in a far less homoerotic way than Schumacher and Snyder.

89 set the tone for on screen bat suits. TB is the first one to truly revolutionize it into real world practical perfection, while still conveying the proper source material iconography.

4b71535d53c39503a241b4fe5538555d7bff5a18.gifv

3c02d1b72713057c01a94908dd14a8b39665aaa9.gifv

Benny could do Harvey, he's got the nice East Coast overworked, not from money, yet handsome/charming vibe to him.

He's also be good with as little as a role like Calendar Man or even something as weird as Ventriloquist.

I can understand people wanting to go back to the more traditional nose shape for aesthetic reasons. But since commenting on Dillon's remarks to Slashfilm, I recently came across another interview he did with Variety. Here again, he suggests that the "pointy nose" and "built-in scowl" of previous cowls might be too "over the top" for a Batman who works alongside others on a more regular basis. Hence, the need to go with something that appears a little "calmer" in terms of design.

As mentioned before, the more brutish characteristics of Pattinson's cowl — informed by everything from MMA fighters to the painted-on, squarish shape over the West cowl nose piece — can be viewed in a separate but connected light given that they serve a different function in showcasing Batman's fighting prowess. And to reiterate, the above-mentioned approach is contrastingly intended to alleviate Batman's intensity as it relates to his peers and allies. With this in mind, especially in light of how the character's perspective has changed by film's end, one might imagine that Reeves, Dillon, et al. aren't keen on reverting to the look of previous cowls so soon. Certainly, the desire for Batman to appear calmer in public settings (excluding areas pertaining to physical combat and the like) would have only increased.

But, of course, as the sequel — however inevitable — is still a ways off, team pointy nose shouldn't despair. Reeves could very well adjust his thinking for a variety of reasons. For instance, should he and his designers opt to alter Batman's MMA-inspired, fighting style to something a bit more refined, this would no doubt be reflected in the appearance of the cowl. And if a pointier nose shape is deemed more conducive to that for whatever reason, having Batman appear softer in his dealings with police professionals and ordinary civilians could be seen as less important in the overall scheme of things. Personally, I think you could maintain the structure of the nose piece as is and just do away with the West cowl inspired stitching around it, assuming that you really wanted to cut back on the whole bruiser aspect. Here's hoping that never happens, though, as it's easily one of my favorite details.

Yeah, I wanna preface, if at all possible and without compromising how easily the actor can breathe, I do want a pointy nose. But if this is the compromise we gotta have to not have Bale mouth breathing, I can live with that
To be fair, he only primarily did it in Rises. The cooled down sets constricted the rubber even more. And it was always nonsensical totally enclosing the nose. It affects hearing and speaking. Didn't seem to be as bad actually in the Keaton, Kilmer, and Clooney suits.

Pattinson definitely had the most 'creepily imposing' and haunted presence on screen as Batman since Keaton.

He's really only competing with nostalgia for me. I adore and draw inspiration from Bale's heroic, yet 'primal rage' Batman, and it's hard to understate just how massive a shift it was to go from Adam West to what Keaton brought to life in an extremely restrictive suit in 1989. Pattinson immediately catapulted himself into the top-tier for sure.

I think you can say Rob had a lot of the best qualities of all the best in his portrayal. The mystique of Keaton. The rage and intensity that Bale had. The brutality of Affleck when it came to the fights. He was obviously gifted an enormous amount of screentime in the suit, as well as the cowl that gave him the most room to act and a suit that let him act with his body. But he definitely stepped up to the plate and made Batman fans proud.

Also, I'm sorry....no offense to anyone who loves Batfleck, but performance-wise, I don't understand how anyone could say that's anywhere in the same league as what Rob does in the suit, with his eyes. I could never get past how it just feels like Ben Affleck with a voice modulator. Say what you will about Bale's voice, but he at least committed to something, and I feel he was an entirely different creature when he was in the suit vs. when he was Bruce Wayne.

I think we're due for a come to Jesus moment about how Affleck gets mainly gets praised because of the comics accurate suit, the Martha rescue sequence, and the fact that Ben admittedly got jacked as hell for the role. I think Affleck was a very solid Bruce Wayne in BvS, but his Batman was nothing special for me unless we're strictly talking that one action sequence...which is not Affleck doing the stunts.
Agreed on all fronts.

That come to Jesus moment wasn't necessary for people who saw the performance for what it was ... a depressed, bland performance as Batman. And a decent Bruce Wayne performance. In BvS that is. In Josstice League he's putrid and phoning it in. In Snyder Cut he's forgettable. And yes the voice modulator does the work, where as the Bale growl took actual energy in the performance. Commitment and all.

As you said Pattinson definitely combines the best elements from the Batman performs. Quirky, creepy, mystique and weirdness of Keaton. Eye movements of Keaton as well, albeit on steroids. The intensity and rage of Bale's portrayal. And the physicality, and brutality of Affleck's stunt double. All that and more, really.

That's why in just one movie, kinda obvious, Pattinson is GOAT on screen Batman.

I thought Robert was impressive, maybe just let down by the script at times. For example he was prissy with Alfred that reminded in a way of Gotham's interpretation of their relationship, the difference being one is in his late 20s to 30s and the other being a preteen to teen.

Bale's Bruce was also like that at times but the difference was that they clearly explained that Bruce had significant separation from Alfred, so Bruce's crappy attitude towards Alfred could at least be explained there. Both were getting to know each other again.

This Bruce seems to have been trained by Alfred just like in Gotham and worked closely together, which is why I felt this Bruce was kind of up and down in terms of interpretation. It led to some nice scenes later on but I dunno if I could but the foundation that it was built upon.

It's always been a little pet peeve, so I'm happy that this Batman seems taller than most of the people he interacts with. I had the reverse issue with Ben being taller than Cavill, but he was still surrounded by Gadot in heels, Momoa and Ray Fisher so it was never glaring.

This version nails the Neal Adams style of Batman that I prefer, and when he's surrounded by shorter castmates, it gives him the proper stature I like. I think my biggest potential issue with Keoghan is how short he is, even Joaquin seemed taller than his real height in the role. But like Keaton and Nicholson before him, an awesome portrayal will make it just fine...

As you said Pattinson definitely combines the best elements from the Batman performs. Quirky, creepy, mystique and weirdness of Keaton. Eye movements of Keaton as well, albeit on steroids. The intensity and rage of Bale's portrayal. And the physicality, and brutality of Affleck's stunt double. All that and more, really.

That's why in just one movie, kinda obvious, Pattinson is GOAT on screen Batman.

I'm only holding out for one more movie to see where he goes before labeling GOAT status. But in one film he's awful close to Keaton's Batman in terms of the "look" I prefer. Characterization-wise, he's already got that.

To this day, I still think B89's the only version that really sells the human bat, creature of the night Bruce's supposed to be going for, with the super deep black of the suit and the way he was filmed in darkness (the Returns suit always looked much cheaper to me by comparison.)

He's still the only Batman who wears his cape over his shoulders most of the time too, a cape that looked like real leathery wings. And the eyes, I knew immediately that Pattinson would be able to rival that type of in the cowl intensity with his eyes that Keaton had. Keaton's Batman seemed almost soulless at points, like a zombie or something. Rob's is more seething and mysterious glare but both are effective for how I feel Batman should always be.

Last edited:

It’s true.

It's funny because a lot of people associate Battinson with all those 2000s pop-emo-rock bands where I feel like the whole thing is more evocative of the 80s/90s. Sure, Reeves gave us Nirvana, but when I see this Batman and the world developped around him, I'd hear more of Alice in Chains, Joy Division, Bowie's Outside album, that mid-90s NIN and Manson sound, etc. Well, it's all subjective anyway!

On a related note, I remember years before The Batman was even announced, online discussions about what the character would listen to. There's always been a lot of gothic bands, black metal stuff and I have to admit that at the time it all seemed a bit silly to me. But somehow, Reeves now created a Batman that I can definitely link to a musical current. It's the last thing I expected, but I love it. Probably because it's one of those I've listened to the most ahah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"