Robert Pattinson IS The Batman

Without getting a real look at his Bruce Wayne, he's in third place for me. A truly great Batman, but Bruce is too important of an aspect of the character for me to have a full handle on his take. And I really did not care for the portrayal in this film. I understood what they were going for, but I just found it one-note and not as engaging as it could've been.

Bale remains the total package for me, while Keaton is the still the coolest and probably most fun to watch in the role. I think Pattinson has all the potential to surpass them or least get into the conversation for me, but it's just going to depend on how the role develops.

Last edited:
Bruce is Batman and Batman is Bruce. I don't need his business/playboy persona yet - or want it, when Bale was pretty perfect at that aspect.

Bruce is Batman and Batman is Bruce. I don't need his business/playboy persona yet - or want it, when Bale was pretty perfect at that aspect.

It's not just the business/playboy persona I'm talking about though, it's also the 'real' Bruce who we see in moments with Alfred, etc. It made him feel more like a three dimensional person who's capable of experiencing more than one emotion. That goes a long way in making a protagonist more engaging. I think the same was true with Keaton's Bruce.

With Pattinson, I understand what they were going for. He doesn't know how to exist without the suit, it's his coping mechanism, etc. I get it. Makes sense on paper. I just found it flat in the movie. When you couple that with him having a strained relationship with Alfred where he acts like a spoiled brat towards him in half of the handful of scenes he has with him...again, I get it. Setting up the big emotional turn of the film. But it created a barrier in me connecting with this version of the character.

This Bruce is for the introverts.

this is why this version of bruce wayne was the most relatable to me.
he doesn't say alot as bruce wayne, but there is a lot going on internally.

the dynamic between him and alfred felt real too.
it's a common thing between father and sons, where they do care for each other, but it is not directly expressed.

Growly boy can never. Head jolt can never. Smiley face can never. Head twitch can never. Puppy eyes can never.

this is why this version of bruce wayne was the most relatable to me.
he doesn't say alot as bruce wayne, but there is a lot going on internally.

the dynamic between him and alfred felt real too.
it's a common thing between father and sons, where they do care for each other, but it is not directly expressed.
Yup. I related to him the most.

Keaton was entertaining because he’s doing Keaton. His movements are awkward and funny. In every movie. But there’s that Norman Bates vibe because of it.

Bale was more rounded because he was given 3 distinct personalities. He did a good job balancing each. But his public persona was a funny jerk. A real dumbass. My issue with the private Bruce that he played is that it’s so...in control. From the get go, he’s mastered everything and he knows what goes where. He can laugh and joke with Alfred or Lucious in private and then get down to business when the time calls for it. But there’s zero inner turmoil. He’s just a very likeable regular guy who happens to use the billions in his pocket. Which makes it unrealistic and distant to me. Likeable but not very interesting all these years later. And he’s not that intelligent either when he’s left by his lonesome.

Rob is the quietest and most tormented Bruce Wayne of them all. But he cares for others. He’s just as funny to me as Bale was as public Bruce Wayne. It’s just subtle, grouchy personality trait that is so goddamn funny to me. He hates being around people so much but he also cares. It’s a tricky balance to hit but it’s pure INTROVERT **** :funny: it’s tremendous. He cares about Alfred but doesn’t know how to show it. So he lashes out in a knee jerk manner. Then you can see he feels bad about it. Just really dynamic and interesting stuff without giving him much dialogue, keeping him tormented and depressive while adding little comedic touches to it to keep him from being one-dimensional. Definitely not one-dimensional in my eyes.

And he’ll open up more in the sequels which will make his Bruce Wayne more enjoyable in the end. So when we look back at the completed trilogy, i’m sure it’ll be one hell of a insight on character development.

I get that some folks want to see many different shades right out of front, but Reeves is slowly developing him here instead of writing Bruce to be that charming guy who has it all figured out. Bale used Batman to let out his anger and frustration (in exaggerated ways sometimes) but that left his Bruce Wayne too comfortable and at peace once the cowl came off. It’s like he let off a bunch of steam and then comes home from his “workout” feeling like a million bucks. Refreshed, functioning normally, no signs of PTSD, no nightmares, no moody moments where he bites someone’s head off. It’s all a little too nice to me and not very interesting.

I’m just gonna say it. I love ****ed up characters. I still want Batman to not kill, to care about human life. But still really messed up in the head? Yup. Quiet? Always listening? Always watching? That’s perfect Bruce/Batman to me. Alls i ask for in the sequel is a tighter relationship between he & Alfred and some more public appearances where he awkwardly tries to adapt to the rich & famous lifestyle. That could be where the humour comes from instead of Bruce fake stumbling into a room with 4 girls on his arm. That’s funny too. Rob would kill that. But it’s not necessary. Nor is it interesting.

Keaton was entertaining because he’s doing Keaton. His movements are awkward and funny. In every movie. But there’s that Norman Bates vibe because of it.

Bale was more rounded because he was given 3 distinct personalities. He did a good job balancing each. But his public persona was a funny jerk. A real dumbass. My issue with the private Bruce that he played is that it’s so...in control. From the get go, he’s mastered everything and he knows what goes where. He can laugh and joke with Alfred or Lucious in private and then get down to business when the time calls for it. But there’s zero inner turmoil. He’s just a very likeable regular guy who happens to use the billions in his pocket. Which makes it unrealistic and distant to me. Likeable but not very interesting all these years later. And he’s not that intelligent either when he’s left by his lonesome.

Rob is the quietest and most tormented Bruce Wayne of them all. But he cares for others. He’s just as funny to me as Bale was as public Bruce Wayne. It’s just subtle, grouchy personality trait that is so goddamn funny to me. He hates being around people so much but he also cares. It’s a tricky balance to hit but it’s pure INTROVERT **** :funny: it’s tremendous. He cares about Alfred but doesn’t know how to show it. So he lashes out in a knee jerk manner. Then you can see he feels bad about it. Just really dynamic and interesting stuff without giving him much dialogue, keeping him tormented and depressive while adding little comedic touches to it to keep him from being one-dimensional. Definitely not one-dimensional in my eyes.

And he’ll open up more in the sequels which will make his Bruce Wayne more enjoyable in the end. So when we look back at the completed trilogy, i’m sure it’ll be one hell of a insight on character development.

I get that some folks want to see many different shades right out of front, but Reeves is slowly developing him here instead of writing Bruce to be that charming guy who has it all figured out. Bale used Batman to let out his anger and frustration (in exaggerated ways sometimes) but that left his Bruce Wayne too comfortable and at peace once the cowl came off. It’s like he let off a bunch of steam and then comes home from his “workout” feeling like a million bucks. Refreshed, functioning normally, no signs of PTSD, no nightmares, no moody moments where he bites someone’s head off. It’s all a little too nice to me and not very interesting.

I’m just gonna say it. I love ****ed up characters. I still want Batman to not kill, to care about human life. But still really messed up in the head? Yup. Quiet? Always listening? Always watching? That’s perfect Bruce/Batman to me. Alls i ask for in the sequel is a tighter relationship between he & Alfred and some more public appearances where he awkwardly tries to adapt to the rich & famous lifestyle. That could be where the humour comes from instead of Bruce fake stumbling into a room with 4 girls on his arm. That’s funny too. Rob would kill that. But it’s not necessary. Nor is it interesting.

YES to all this.

the thing about pattinson, is his bruce wayne feels sort of like keaton's...if keaton's bruce was younger and still hasn't figured out how to fully compartmentalize batman vs bruce wayne.

and i can imagine pattinson's bruce having this kind of internal monologue when he visits rich people parties in the sequels (comic panel from brave and the bold 197)...

in here, bruce is so emotionally tormented. and disgusted with the very same class of people he belongs to. LOL.
aside from rob's emo hair, he really captures the inner world of bruce wayne these comics show.

B&B1970003.jpg

I 100% look forward to seeing where Reeves and Pattinson develop the Bruce character from here. I think it will only get better. I'm still hopeful for how they evolve it and make it their own, while maybe getting a little closer to the classic Bruce.

I think my other issue with it is based on this universe's own canon (from the prequel novel, which I listened to the audio book of), this Bruce went to universities all over, travelled the world, apparently was something of a lady's man too. The version of the character in that book never felt like an alien in human skin to me. Troubled and obsessed? Absolutely. But it gave the impression that he had at least developed some basic social skills and sophistication in his formative years, at least enough to put up something of a front. It's whatever, it's a junior novel and I'm not saying I put that much weight on it as canon, but yeah I'm just looking forward to seeing Pattinson given more material to work with outside the cowl.

in here, bruce is so emotionally tormented. and disgusted with the very same class of people he belongs to. LOL.

See, for me, this is precisely the aspect of the character the Bale personified so perfectly. I think his portrayal is very much about a man who choked on his silver spoon. He knows how to play the part, but he hates most of the people around him. That's the beauty of the party scene in Begins where he insults them all...he's saving their lives, by saying exactly what he really thinks of them. His contempt for his own ilk is present throughout the trilogy (the contrast of Bruce entering the party in TDK with the real Bruce on the balcony, for example). It's why the ending with him escaping not just the cowl, but his life as Bruce Wayne in Gotham the most satisfying ending for that version of the character. Both personas were prisons for him.

I think Pattinson can get there too, but that specific characteristic of Bruce Wayne is something that I think Bale's version covered really well.

Last edited:
I 100% look forward to seeing where Reeves and Pattinson develop the Bruce character from here. I think it will only get better. I'm still hopeful for how they evolve it and make it their own, while maybe getting a little closer to the classic Bruce.

I think my other issue with it is based on this universe's own canon (from the prequel novel, which I listened to the audio book of), this Bruce went to universities all over, travelled the world, apparently was something of a lady's man too. The version of the character in that book never felt like an alien in human skin to me. Troubled and obsessed? Absolutely. But it gave the impression that he had at least developed some basic social skills and sophistication in his formative years, at least enough to put up something of a front. It's whatever, it's a junior novel and I'm not saying I put that much weight on it as canon, but yeah I'm just looking forward to seeing Pattinson given more material to work with outside the cowl.

See, for me, this is precisely the aspect of the character the Bale personified so perfectly. I think his portrayal is very much about a man who choked on his silver spoon. He knows how to play the part, but he hates most of the people around him. That's the beauty of the party scene in Begins where he insults them all...he's saving their lives, by saying exactly what he really thinks of them. His contempt for his own ilk is present throughout the trilogy (the contrast of Bruce entering the party in TDK with the real Bruce on the balcony, for example). It's why the ending with him escaping not just the cowl, but his life as Bruce Wayne in Gotham the most satisfying ending for that version of the character. Both personas were prisons for him.

I think Pattinson can get there too, but that specific characteristic of Bruce Wayne is something that I think Bale's version covered really well.
He was a ladies man, but I bet he fell for women who were even crazier than him. Bale's Bruce went out with models and movie stars. Pattinson's Bruce is all about the goth, artsy, and demented girls. Which that is why I related to him the most.

Last edited:

Yeah, what's always been most interesting to me with the character of Bruce Wayne is the inherent internal conflict he has. Between the compassionate core developed from his childhood who at his heart does care about people and the dark trauma that can (and often does) mask that. And Battinson has that in spades. I have no issues with and outright encourage the development of this version of Batman, but I do hope that underlying sense of trauma is never lost. As I said, that conflict between his compassionate core and his trauma is what's most interesting about him.

I think that the way he acts in the book is consistent with the film, the way he interacts with Dex he very much was someone that had no idea how to properly relate to other people.

I will say though, I'll add this giant caveat to what we've seen of this Bruce in this film:
I think that most people kinda over-exaggerate how awkward, shy or vulnerable he really was. Not to say he isn't that, but if we look at the context of the scenes in which he appeared as public Bruce Wayne... one was literally him going to a funeral close to the anniversary of his parents death and being hassled by a politician, and the other one was him going to a shady club to talk with Carmine Falcone after getting a traumatizing reveal of his parents. It's 100% understandable he'd act off in both scenarios because anyone would. I'm not even sure if Bale's Bruce Wayne would act too different when going to a funeral like that.
We didn't see how this Bruce actually acts in normal social settings mostly because he seems to avoid them all together, but my guess is that I would not be surprised if there was a natural sense of arrogance in him seeing how that's kinda exactly how he portrayed himself to Falcone in the funeral and Alfred. Matt also mentioned in the director's commentary about how part of Gotham's society really looks down on Bruce and actually dislikes him, hence Gordon's reaction to him. I wish the scene of him meeting with the accountants was released since it seems we'd have seen that side of him.
The newspapers in Riddler's apartment are interesting too because they hint at him having some sort of social life, even if it's extremely limited. TheBatmanRiddlerHideout2.jpg

Last edited:
I think that the way he acts in the book is consistent with the film, the way he interacts with Dex he very much was someone that had no idea how to properly relate to other people.

I will say though, I'll add this giant caveat to what we've seen of this Bruce in this film:
I think that most people kinda over-exaggerate how awkward, shy or vulnerable he really was. Not to say he isn't that, but if we look at the context of the scenes in which he appeared as public Bruce Wayne... one was literally him going to a funeral close to the anniversary of his parents death and being hassled by a politician, and the other one was him going to a shady club to talk with Carmine Falcone after getting a traumatizing reveal of his parents. It's 100% understandable he'd act off in both scenarios because anyone would. I'm not even sure if Bale's Bruce Wayne would act too different when going to a funeral like that.
We didn't see how this Bruce actually acts in normal social settings mostly because he seems to avoid them all together, but my guess is that I would not be surprised if there was a natural sense of arrogance in him seeing how that's kinda exactly how he portrayed himself to Falcone in the funeral and Alfred. Matt also mentioned in the director's commentary about how part of Gotham's society really looks down on Bruce and actually dislikes him, hence Gordon's reaction to him. I wish the scene of him meeting with the accountants was released since it seems we'd have seen that side of him.
The newspapers in Riddler's apartment are interesting too because they hint at him having some sort of social life, even if it's extremely limited. View attachment 56118

That's part of the disconnect I have. Seeing these newspaper headlines about Bruce's social life, someone who cares enough to make an appearance at City Hall...I like that element, but it doesn't square with the goth-y, Kurt Cobain-inspired "recluse rock star in a decaying manor" that the film portrays to me. The film seems to clearly portray him as someone that wants no part of any life outside of the cowl, and literally doesn't even his value his own life if the Batman mission doesn't work. I thought part of his whole arc in this film was that he's going to have to step up more as Bruce Wayne to truly be what the city needs. So is that something he needs to get back to doing, or something he needs to learn how to begin doing? It just feels a bit fuzzy to me.

Again though, I'm optimistic with how it'll be fleshed out in the next film, I think the building blocks are there, even if I'm not crazy about how we got there.

Last edited:
...he was spotted with Dory.

And, Alfred probably has gotten him to appear here and there... Bruce just does it while biting his sexy lips.

That's part of the disconnect I have. Seeing these newspaper headlines about Bruce's social life, someone who cares enough to make an appearance at City Hall...I like that element, but it doesn't square with the goth-y, Kurt Cobain-inspired "recluse rock star in a decaying manor" that the film portrays to me. The film seems to clearly portray him as someone that wants no part of any life outside of the cowl, and literally doesn't even his value his own life if the Batman mission doesn't work. I thought part of his whole arc in this film was that he's going to have to step up more as Bruce Wayne to truly be what the city needs. So is that something he needs to get back to doing, or something he needs to learn how to begin doing? It just feels a bit fuzzy to me.

Again though, I'm optimistic with how it'll be fleshed out in the next film, I think the building blocks are there, even if I'm not crazy about how we got there.
I don't think there's much disconnect between what we saw in the movie and the newspapers. Even recluse rockstars have their fair share of gossip, wouldn't surprise me if maybe the "mystery women" thing just meant he sometimes got out for one night stands and nothing else, there's nothing more rockstar than that. And even the City Hall thing there might literally be his only public appearance in that capacity in years and something he didn't manage to weasel his way out of.

I also like how the newspapers basically imply there's only one pair of clothes he always uses when he goes out.

Last edited:
I don't think there's much disconnect between what we saw in the movie and the newspapers. Even recluse rockstars have their fair share of gossip, wouldn't surprise me if maybe the "mystery women" thing just meant he sometimes got out for one night stands and nothing else, there's nothing more rockstar than that. And even the City Hall thing there might literally be his only public appearance in that capacity in years and something he didn't manage to weasel his way out of.

I also like how the newspapers basically imply there's only one pair of clothes he always uses when he goes out.
He doesn’t go to big functions or anything like that without his arm being twisted. Even the funeral was more to spy on the place because he had a hunch that Riddler might strike.

But he’s obviously going out once in a blue moon. He just hates being seen. It’s not like Bale in Rises where he’s a cripple and hasn’t left his house in a few years. This guy is just fed up with his name and that whole crowd. The one night stands are possible. Not sure honestly.

That's fair. Admittedly, when Reeves made the Kurt Cobain/decaying manor reference, and how he's portrayed as such a recluse in the film, my mind goes straight to Kurt's final days. So that's kind of the vibe I was picking up. Someone really lost in their own world who can't connect with anyone-- not even the person closest to him. The City Hall tidbit still feels like a bit of a contradiction to me. It's just hard for me to picture Bruce at this stage of his development acting with that kind of civic engagement, even if Alfred pressured him or w/e. It's also unclear if that's something that happened before or during his stint as Batman, so I'm not sure the proper way to contextualize that in terms of his arc and character development. But whatever, it's a small Easter egg.

Last edited:
I do hope we see more of Bruce/Bats being more competent as a detective. I would preferably want to see him actually one-up the villain this time instead of constantly being "princess is in another castle"-ed at every turn.

Also being smart enough to search the dark web.

People who complain about Batman being a bad detective would die when they see how Philip Marlowe and Sam Spade handle their cases.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"