Rocky/Creed Cinematic Universe Thread

Yeah this was really well done, easy 9/10 for me.

MBJ was great but this was the second time that Jonathan Majors blew me away (the first time being the new Ant-Man Quantumania). Both MBJ and Majors are destined for greater things no doubt! The final fight between them was amazing to watch, both visually and in terms of the intensity.

This was good, but nowhere near on the quality as the first 2 films.

Rocky not being in the film hurt it a lot. His mentor relationship with Donnie is the backbone of the Creed films and without him, it felt rather empty.

Ludwig not doing the score was also felt throughout the film. No memorable piece like the first 2 films' training montages or Donnie's theme.

The fights were also not nearly as visceral or well shot as the ones in the first 2 films. They were still good, though and I liked the anime influence on them.

Majors was great and brought certain intensity in his scenes.

Overall - a good sequel and great directorial debut of Michael B. Jordan. But by far the weakest of the 3 Creed films.

7/10

Ludwig not doing the score was also felt throughout the film. No memorable piece like the first 2 films' training montages or Donnie's theme.

Wait, what? His theme is amazing! That’s an odd choice to not use it at all.

I mean, even the Bill Conti-less score of Rocky IV has Rocky’s theme at certain points.

I can't wait for this to hit 4k ultra HD. Currently Rewatching the first 4 Rocky films in glorious Dolby Vision and they've never looked better. any idea when Creed 3 goes up for pre order?

I wonder how Stallone feels about this lol The biggest Rocky franchise movie doesn’t have Rocky in it

You know what’s also nice about this? That theory that more time between sequels = less demand is bull. Like the Rocky series, II came 3 years after the first. And this came 4 and a half years after II. If anything, the extra time created more demand.
It does. and it's sometimes good to miss things too. I think the same will happen for Dial of Destiny and Mission Impossible this summer.

I wonder how Stallone feels about this lol The biggest Rocky franchise movie doesn’t have Rocky in it

Probably bittersweet. He’s still listed as a producer and, of course, created it all. But his beef with Irwin Winkler is huge, so to know that Winkler (and his kids) are profiting big while he’s not allowed to continue off his creation must sting.

He’s wished them well but he doesn’t think if it as a Rocky movie anymore I think.

To be fair though, the Rocky films at the height of their popularity were in 70s-80s Box Office. Creed 3 is in an era where ticket prices and such are a lot higher. It's hard to compare them. Only Rocky Balboa of the Rocky head lined films was a 2000s movie, and at the time the franchise was still trying to prove it could be relevant as Stallone's star power had heavily declined

To be fair though, the Rocky films at the height of their popularity were in 70s-80s Box Office. Creed 3 is in an era where ticket prices and such are a lot higher. It's hard to compare them. Only Rocky Balboa of the Rocky head lined films was a 2000s movie, and at the time the franchise was still trying to prove it could be relevant as Stallone's star power had heavily declined

True. Rocky IV would be at something like 330M adjusted domestic lol

It’s a good thing they didn’t use this scene in Creed 2 since the one in 3 played very similar.

This really is a beautiful scene though. They also cut out the scene of Drago and Rocky fighting in the hospital which I'm dying to see haha.

My review

My two nitpicks

There's no f**kin way a kid in America was a fan of Naruto and had a poster in their bedroom in 2002 unless they get their VHS tapes imported.

Also, there's no way a nobody gets a whole posse who's willing to die for them in a matter of minutes after you win.

So we're never going to know what happened to Clubber Lang after Rocky III aren't we? I read somewhere that one of the early drafts of the script of Rocky Balboa, he was to be a commentator in Rocky's fight vs. Mason Dixon but that was scrapped.

My review

My two nitpicks

There's no f**kin way a kid in America was a fan of Naruto and had a poster in their bedroom in 2002 unless they get their VHS tapes imported.

Also, there's no way a nobody gets a whole posse who's willing to die for them in a matter of minutes after you win.

I am pretty sure he cultivated that posse in prison

Maybe that one guy who put the hit on Drago, but everyone else on that beach wasn't in prison.

Its good to see Amazon be rewarded by theatrical releases.

Pay attention Netflix.

Maybe that one guy who put the hit on Drago, but everyone else on that beach wasn't in prison.

I dont think it's a stretch to think he had those connections in prison and that other guys connections joined their crew.

My review

My two nitpicks

The artwork in his room looked like Naruto from Shippuden, which didn't even premiere in Japan until like 2007. He also had a Gundam model that was not from that time period.

But Jordan was trying to put things he liked and grew up with in this film.

I loved Creed 3. The rivalry between Donnie and Dame was captivating to witness from beginning to end. The locker room dual-shot of them before Dame's first big match is well-done and the image will come to mind whenever I think of this movie. We've had some fun villains so far this year with Megan, Cocaine Bear and Kang. Dame is definitely at the top of the cinema villain list and he's the one to beat so far for 2023. Just amazing work, the cast did their thing and Michael B. directed the hell out of it.

I also loved how we got to see most of of Adonis' opponents from the previous films. Really gave it a "recurring villains" feel for Adonis like how Batman has a sense of familiarity with his rogues gallery. It was also cool to see most of the boxers having a sense of camaraderie and respectful rivalries with each other.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"