Rogue is a useless character...

The rogue complainers should wait until after they have seen x3-if she doesn't get to do anything(which I highly doubt-she's bound to kick some ass),then they can say she is a useless character.She has been a developing character through x1 and x2,she needed time to become confident in herself and her powers,she's had that time so she is going to be so much more capable as a x-man in x3.

ljr said:
The rogue complainers should wait until after they have seen x3-if she doesn't get to do anything(which I highly doubt-she's bound to kick some ass),then they can say she is a useless character.She has been a developing character through x1 and x2,she needed time to become confident in herself and her powers,she's had that time so she is going to be so much more capable as a x-man in x3.

You know there are still some users here, who would still find things to complain about. They'd still complain about how long it took for her to develop, or that she should have done this or that instead of something else. They just don't like the Rogue that has been developed through the previous movies, so I don't think they'll finally like her here...

Let's hope Rogue gets more action. But that might be a little too late.

All the whiners should just go and read Uncanny X-Men #218. :p

Or make their own movie... really!
Just cut the sequences with Rogue in X1 & X2 apart and make some extra scenes with your mobile or handy-cam. Simpel zat! (Easy enough)

Little tip: Rogue flying out of the plane in X2 is a good one when you want a flying Rogue. And make a topic about it so you can let us enjoy your masterwork! :up: :up:

*edit*
And no.... it isn't that really expensive.. and anyone can do it. Just upgrade your Quicktime, get a microphone and a (girl)friend who sounds like Rogue. And before you know it: tataaaa! A Rogue masterpiece fan-movie!

Funny thing is, that if you completely cut off Rogue from the first movie... well the movie wouldn't have any sense at all.

I'd just like to put in my two cents about the statement that the movie Rogue is a COMPLETELY different character than the comic Rogue, that some of you have claimed is true. It can all be explained with one line of dialogue from the first X-Men movie. Let me set up the scene for you, shall I?

Marie (the Rogue character with a name given to her..oh no!) is in her bedroom with a BOY (eek!). She is explaining to him as she points at a map of North America.

"Niagra Falls...up the Canadian Rockies, and then it's only a few hundred miles to Anchorage (shakes bootie...bump-bump-bump)."

Then her little boy-toy says "Won't it be kinda cold?"

And then Rogue smiles and gets on the BED WITH HIM! "Well that's the point stupid, otherwise it wouldn't be an adventure!"

Those lines help me envision Rogue before her mutation became active. A sassy, flirty young woman who dares to do a few things that are bold. Then she gets hit with a burden that doesn't allow her to touch people EVER! Now if that happened to me I certainly wouldn't mourn that loss or feel withdrawn...oh wait a minute...YES, YES I WOULD! Of course this is all my own opinion, but in my mind when viewing the movies, Rogue is certainly more on target to her comic counterpart than many people are giving her credit. But that's just my opinion.

xmenfilesfan05 said:
I'd just like to put in my two cents about the statement that the movie Rogue is a COMPLETELY different character than the comic Rogue, that some of you have claimed is true. It can all be explained with one line of dialogue from the first X-Men movie. Let me set up the scene for you, shall I?

Marie (the Rogue character with a name given to her..oh no!) is in her bedroom with a BOY (eek!). She is explaining to him as she points at a map of North America.

"Niagra Falls...up the Canadian Rockies, and then it's only a few hundred miles to Anchorage (shakes bootie...bump-bump-bump)."

Then her little boy-toy says "Won't it be kinda cold?"

And then Rogue smiles and gets on the BED WITH HIM! "Well that's the point stupid, otherwise it wouldn't be an adventure!"

Those lines help me envision Rogue before her mutation became active. A sassy, flirty young woman who dares to do a few things that are bold. Then she gets hit with a burden that doesn't allow her to touch people EVER! Now if that happened to me I certainly wouldn't mourn that loss or feel withdrawn...oh wait a minute...YES, YES I WOULD! Of course this is all my own opinion, but in my mind when viewing the movies, Rogue is certainly more on target to her comic counterpart than many people are giving her credit. But that's just my opinion.

You know something, I completely agree with you. I've realized I had never stopped and analyzed those few seconds we're given of Rogue before discovering her mutation and they are as you explain, very revealing.
Very good point xmenfilesfan05 :up:

I always took those few minutes into account-which is why i've always seen the movie rogue,exactly like rogue should be a evolving character.

doesn't rogue fall in love with magneto?

and doesn't she get her flying and super strength powers from touching Ms. Marvel?

HughJackFan420 said:
doesn't rogue fall in love with magneto?

and doesn't she get her flying and super strength powers from touching Ms. Marvel?

I thought I heard something like that happened in the comics...although it'd be really gross (and make no sense) if that happened in the movie-verse.

As for her additional powers...do you think she'll somehow get them in X3 or X4?

I don't tthink she'll get any addiotional powers. They'd probably just make her use the temporary absorption of other's powers the best way she can, but not get them definitely.

Perhaps they'll boost her up by having her absorb Cain Marko's powers permanently in X3?

Sure, no flight, but the strength would be cool.

rogue_devlin said:
Funny thing is, that if you completely cut off Rogue from the first movie... well the movie wouldn't have any sense at all.

Exactly....why all the haters?

Because ppl can't seem to get past her not having miss marvel powers.But she doesn't currently have them anyway,plus she doesn't have them in ultimate or evolution.And have ppl seen the pics of her in x3 ,she gets action and she looks angry-good signs.

PWN3R RANGER said:
Exactly....why all the haters?

Because you'll never get to please everybody.
Rogue is so much more that flying and super-strength :o:(

Thank you my point exactly,plus she doesn't even have those powers anymore.

I'm sure Rogue will be more interesting in X3, with the cure storyline and the action sequences, like the danger room and the final battle, where I think Rogue will have some good moments, maybe with Phoenix, Magneto and Juggernaut.

One thing I have never agreed with and will never agree with is the typical X-Men fan mentality that a character's worth is measured by how much damage that character's powers can cause. One of the prominent themes of the X-Men franchise is what a person does with his or her power(s). The comics, cartoons, and movies have pointed out time and again the folly of assuming that everything about a person can be summed up by a specific attribute, yet on message boards I see post after post of X-Men fans making the same assumption.

Does Rogue need to absorb Carol Danvers' powers in order to be a useful character? I doubt it, because not only does it detract from her primary power, but it would also mean that Rogue's value as a character is her ability to fly and hit things. I'd argue that she should have an identity over and above what she can do with her powers. Granted, her powers definitely shape the way she thinks and the way she lives her life, but shouldn't dominate everything about the character; if her powers were removed somehow, it shouldn't lead to Rogue losing her entire personality.

Regarding the personality, I admit that it took me quite some time to get used to Rogue as she was portrayed in the first movie. I'd grown up with the tougher, more free-spirited Rogue seen in the comics and movies, so I had a hard time getting used to someone who was a lot quieter and who acted like a typical teen runaway. It wasn't until Rogue's last scene in the movie, where she dressed a lot sexier and seemed to come out of her shell a bit, that I understood what they were doing with the character: they were showing Point A and a few other subsequent letters in Rogue's journey instead of starting with Point Q as the '90s cartoon did. When Rogue arrived at Xavier's doorstep in the comics, she'd had a difficult time with her powers and didn't have much in the way of self-confidence. In X2, her character growth continued, and she developed some more with a character arc that had less to do with ho many butts she could kick and more to do with how she handles dating like a normal teenager when getting close to her boyfriend is problematic. I'm not sure what direction X3 will take her, but I would definitely feel cheated if the only character development she gets involves what powers she gets. I will admit, though, that one of the things that attracted me to Rogue in the comics and in the cartoon was that she was a complete tomboy in terms of her behavior. She had a temper and she didn't mind getting her hands dirty. Movieverse Rogue doesn't have that quality, but I'm not about to declare her useless because of it.

I'm not sure I agree with the idea that Rogue immediately became a light-hearted sexpot immediately upon being drawn by Jim Lee. While I don't have a lot of comics from that era, I have quite a few from subsequent eras and I'm actually hard-pressed to find an issue where she stays in a good mood for the duration of the story. Sure, there are a lot of light-hearted moments where Rogue jokes with her teammates, but that looks to me like the result of living under the same roof with these people and considering them her family. I think she'd have a hard time living with the X-Men and remain the same character she was when she left the Brotherhood; each team would bring out a different side of her personality. And I can't help but liken her relationship with the X-Men to being at a burn camp in a way: she's around people like her who have a similar affliction and who accept her and allow her to be more okay with who and what she is than she was before. Pretty soon, being around her normalizes her experience to point that she isn't as cursed by her mutation and she can relax. The '90s cartoon version was the most upbeat version of Rogue I've seen (and even then she had a lot of sad/dark moments throughout the series), but it would have been out of place in the X-Men movie context unless they established her as being an X-Woman for years.

Would I like to see her adopt Ms. Marvel's powers in a sequel? I guess, but I could live without it. Years ago I'd have had a different answer, but these days I realize that her basic absorption power presents possibilities that Ms. Marvel's powers don't. Does it make her as much of a hardline fighter? No, but that means she has to work harder in a battle and approach tactics in a different way. It shouldn't be too much of a problem if the X-Men act like a team and watch one another's backs.

Actually, it would be interesting if she ended up permanently manifesting some other power besides Danvers'. After X1 I thought it might be interesting if she'd retained at least a tiny bit of Magneto's power or Wolverine's healing factor. But I don't see it as completely necessary to the character. I ultimately think it's erroneous to think that a character would only be interesting or useful if only she were on a higher power level. That's not very effective in exploring the character herself, and it would miss the point by a fairly wide margin.

rogue_devlin said:

Well that's because Wolverine has to have someone to save in the first movie to make him look good. Not that I agree with those that think movie Rogue is useless. I think she has potential but I don't think the first movie did anything to impress that fact upon anyone. If anything it's the movie of the two that did the most damage as she does little herself in the movie but be the mirror to show off how great Wolverine is but with hope maybe by X3 she will be a character unto herself - at least a bit.

You know, let's just wait until May and THEN you can start complaining. Yeah? Okay =)

Okay Okay. Fine. So I don't think she was role for the role either. BUt whatever. Whatever happens, happens. Don't like her? Focus on another character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"